+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I hope it does.

I HATE games like that. so super annoying

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to go off topic OP...(and I do think that the 11 year old should never have had a password linked in anyway to the use of a credit card but none the less time away from the iPads won't hurt them.)
    But the whole in-app purchase set up to me sounds like a direct target to vulnerable people. Including kids, parents who are maybe not tech savvy and don't even realise this can happen. It kind of reminds me of online gambling or the pokies. It's all lights and noises and meanwhile you've paid money for...nothing? I remember my younger sister used to want to spend money on a website called habbo...I still have no idea what the hell this was...but given you needed a credit card to make the purchase and this was maybe 10 years ago, my parents never let her. Nowadays if it was an app it would be much sneakier..

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vue For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2014),harvs  (26-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Meh, totally unfair that the children should be punished for the parents stupidity. Why on earth a parent would allow their child to be unsupervised with a cc saved to the iTunes account is beyond me. Most kids games/ casual games are cash cows/cow clickers. As in you play for 10 mins, but if you want to play more instead of waiting 12 hours to play further in the game, you can play more if you pay $10 or some crap. Why do you think the apps are cheap/free? It's because they have the cash cow system in place so you have to pay to play. I think it's Scotland or Ireland that's made a law against Apple & android for it to be illegal for the games themselves to have pop ups in game & "click here to buy x with instant credit card details". You have to re-enter the same info with each in game purchase.
    Maybe the parents shouldn't have the cc saved to the account? Or only let them play on airplane mode or not have wifi connected?
    Hopefully they get a refund & they all learn from this mistake.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Sounds like the parents are so upset, and I understand that. Is it really dramatically and horribly unfair to get rid of an iPad? Really? We have one, and I have to say - it is one of the worst things ever to happen to my kids. They have no interest in doing anything else, they don't want to go outside and play - I pretty much have to force them out by pushing them out the door. Haha.

So I'm a bit Meh - all kids lose the iPad, big deal. Kids spend far too much time and get far too involved in computers/apps and social media these days.
    It doesn't have to be that way though. Our ds has an iPad and although most of his aps are educational or mental stimulating recommended by the school his use is monitored, he is only allowed certain times of certain days. He has iPad free days. He knows the rules which have been in place since day dot. He spends much time outdoors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    All the rules ib the world wont always help with children with obsessive natures or special needs. I've had rules in place for my sons fron day 1 as well. They know their time limit. They know the rules. That in no way stops them obsessing over it or having a meltdown when time is up.

I regret buying them often. But other times they're a godsend, especially for my middle boy when we're out and he is struggling with the world around him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It doesn't have to be that way though. Our ds has an iPad and although most of his aps are educational or mental stimulating recommended by the school his use is monitored, he is only allowed certain times of certain days. He has iPad free days. He knows the rules which have been in place since day dot. He spends much time outdoors.
    Same here. DS5 got an ipad for his birthday from his father. He's mostly got educational games, but he also has his strategy/fun ones like Plants vs zombies, Angry birds & minecraft. His time is monitored daily, he gets to use it for an hour a day, 2 hours (in separate 1 hour blocks) on weekends. We also do technology free days as well & he enjoys playing outside with the dogs outside & playing with his trains or lego more than his ipad anyway.

I guess as a gamer & someone who is genually interested in technology I already knew all the tricks & tips on how to lock up his Ipad and to avoid anything online like a plague! He still gets pop ups to "buy stuff ingame" but it wont work as he has no internet access & knows to press the x button.

As for his access to it, he knows the password for his Ipad but he doesnt have wi-fi connected & it needs a password (which only I know as it's under my account) to access the app store, and my CC details aren't saved to it.
    His Ipad is set to airplane mode unless I use it to buy him a game too.

As a general note:
    I really think parents need to know the in and outs of technology before buying their children in depth gaming consoles of any sort(Ipad/iphone, 3DS, wii/wiiU, xbox one/360 ps3/4 etc), they need to know about parental locks, timers, and how to access online content. Everything is accessible via the internet now through wi-fi and thus easily obtainable to buy & download more content through paypal & credit cards. I know not all parents are tech savy, but it doesnt hurt to learn & it could possibly save a world of trouble by doing so.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 8yr old has to ask me before any purchases whatsoever.
    I agree with the common thought. DD shouldn't have had the password to begin with (though beyond that she really should have checked... Assuming that's what her parents have told her to do). Poor youngest child gets punished! Just makes no sense!
    However, my god. If my child did that in inapp purchases, I cannot even imagine the wrath it would incur!
    My boy looks at prices any everything.
    I just.....I can't even.....wow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the parents are dumb.

How can they expect to give their 11yo responsibility and then punish her when her brother lies? With responsibility comes trust, if they didn't trust her in the first place they shouldn't have given her the password. It not her fault her brother lied! Anyway isn't there some sort of limit you could set? Are you sure $4600 is right? Not $460? Just sounds extremely excessive for 15 mins...

We don't have an iPad and my boys are too young to buy apps, but I don't think we would be giving the password out to our boys at that age... Actually, it's not even an age thing for me, it's more the fear of purchases being made accidentally.

Even if the mum DID give the ok, it probably still would have happened. What are the chances she would have known it would cost THAT much? Eg, DS goes to busy mum in kitchen, says to her 'hey mum, can I get the password from DD, I'm playing a game and I need another few lives/characters/whatever' mum says 'how much are they?' DS says, they are $x' mum says, ok that's fine, go ask her sister, I'm busy now'

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I heard this terrifying anecdote from one of our school mums today. She has three children, DD (11), DS1 (8) and DS2 (6).

They have a rule at their house with iPads and in-app purchases.

Only DD knows the passcode, but if she wants to buy anything on iTunes she is to seek permission from mum or dad first.
    I'm just thinking that if their DD already has to find the parents before entering the passcode each time already, then wouldn't it only take an extra few seconds for their DD to hand the iPad to the parent and the parent enter the passcode instead (without the DD seeing)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Just putting out there that my 12 year old dd knows the password for her pad. She also knows the rules and the consequences if she breaks them. She is always to ask before using it. The consequences are are harsh and involves a hammer and her beloved pad. So the she is very good.

With difference being it is hers alone. If it was smash she would be the only one to suffer.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (26-08-2014),Sonja  (26-08-2014)