+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Extremely unfair, Eldest and youngest should not have been punished at all.
    BUT I'm also going to go against the grain and say I think that that one month ban is plenty of punishment for the middle child. His only crime really was being a little sneaky and lying to his sister. He's 8. A weeks ban from the ipad would be plenty punishment in my eyes.
    As for the astronomical amount, that is horrible, but not the boys fault. I highly doubt he realised the sort of money he was racking up or even what that would really mean for his family.
    This comes down to extremely poor and lazy parenting basically. Why is the 11 yo given a password for it at all? Because they can't be bothered typing it in every now and then when she wants something? Why aren't the settings set so that the password is required immediately rather than in 15 minutes? (My son's ipad is set to this even though he's never given the password. Just in case.)
    Why is the boy going to his sister to ask for the password... where are the parents? How could they not see him asking?
    I am really glad that they got the money refunded, because that's a hell of a lot of money to have to pay for a bad parenting stuff up, but I bet it's them that learn a lesson out of this much more than their kiddos.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow.. Understandably the parents would have been beyond furious so the punishment was probably made in the heat of the moment. But really... How stupid of the mother to give the child the password. What does she think is going to happen?

Ds does not and will not ever know the password to iTunes. If he sees an ap he likes he comes to us so we can see what it is and we decide whether or not he can have it on his iPad.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Urgh. The whole thing is just bad. $4600?! I'd have a heart attack. Really, the DD should not have been the password guardian. Parents should have known better, since it's synced with a form of billing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alexis243 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like most, I don't think the DD should have had the password in the first place. I think only DS1 should have been punished but I can see how easy it is to react with this type of thing without fully thinking it through. That bill would freak anyone out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm struggling to believe you can spend $4600 in 30 minutes. There's a class action against Apple (iTunes) in relation to these in-app purchases and a lot has been done to make it more difficult to access them - like having to put in your credit card details each time so even if someone knows your password they also have to know your credit card.

I don't know @harvs. i think there's more to this than the mum is letting on (not saying anything against you - just I think for her to go off like that sounds like there's more to it).

As for knowing passwords - sometimes kids earn the right to have those privileges.

Like i said - just sounds like there could be more to this.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (25-08-2014),smallpotatoes  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm struggling to believe you can spend $4600 in 30 minutes. There's a class action against Apple (iTunes) in relation to these in-app purchases and a lot has been done to make it more difficult to access them - like having to put in your credit card details each time so even if someone knows your password they also have to know your credit card.

I don't know @harvs. i think there's more to this than the mum is letting on (not saying anything against you - just I think for her to go off like that sounds like there's more to it).

As for knowing passwords - sometimes kids earn the right to have those privileges.

Like i said - just sounds like there could be more to this.
    I tend to agree... $4600 is just so much money for that short amount of time.

But I would punish the one who made the purchases and change the password so the oldest doesnt have access anymore...its not fair for her to have that burden.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm more concerned that it is possible to spend this much for an in-app purchase! Companies are very sneaky, you have to disable in-app purchases and turn on guided access and generally be right on the ball to make sure your kids don't spend money. The punishment I think is unfair or for better words not a smart punishment. The kids need to understand consequences but it would be better to never give them the password in the first place, make all in-app purchases yourself and while you're at it explain what you are doing as you are doing it to the kids so that they understand there is money involved. Even get out the wallet and put $3 or however much the purchase is in a jar to "pay it later" so that they can see you are physically spending x amount and only have x amount left. I think the punishment chosen isn't necessarily teaching what the point of the matter is and the kids are going to resent each other AND mum and dad...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eilonwy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm struggling to understand why you would allow an 11 year old child to know the password to an account that is connected to a credit card. She shouldn't be punished IMO, but she definitely shouldn't be allowed to know the passwords.

As for the brother, I would be absolutely livid if my child blatantly lied in order to get something they know they are not supposed to have. The amount of money spent is beside the point, I'm sure he didn't realise how much he had spent, but he is old enough to know that lying is wrong. I think a months ban from the ipad is fair.

And of course the youngest child shouldn't be punished, he had nothing to do with it. But the fact that a child can spend that much in such a short time makes me think it might have been a bad idea to allow them access in the first place.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a bad situation!

The safest way to protect yourself from this happening is to not link your credit card to iTunes, use iTunes prepaid gift cards instead.... And don't give your children your Apple ID pass code.

While I don't think it's fair to ban all 3 children, it's probably a good lesson for them all.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

harvs  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I would love to comment about what I think is fair and unfair but I just can't get past $4,600!!!!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (25-08-2014),Eilonwy  (25-08-2014),harvs  (25-08-2014),Jodes35  (25-08-2014),smallpotatoes  (25-08-2014),Wise Enough  (25-08-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast