+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Using a baby carrier on plane?

Hi everyone,

I'm taking my 7 week old Dd to visit my parents tomorrow. We have to take two flights. As I'll it'll be just the two of us I'd been planning on putting her in my ergo carrier once we get through security so that I have my hands free and also because it tends to keep her happy. My question is does anyone know whether I'd be allowed to leave her in the carrier for take off and landing or whether I'd have to take her out? If I have to take her out then I'm guessing the carrier may end up being more trouble than it's worth.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've flown with DD on four separate flights, each time I had to take her out of the ergo and sit her on my lap with the infant belt around her for take-off and landing. After the seat belt sign came off I was allowed to pop her back in the ergo.

I found the ergo most useful for waiting around in the airport and boarding, disembarking etc. For the actual flight itself I've either ended up popping her in the bassinet if we were lucky enough to have one, or cradling her whilst she was sleeping (but she was a bit bigger than your DD which made sleeping in the front carry in the ergo a little less comfortable for me whilst sitting in a plane seat).

Do whatever you can to call and request a bassinet seat, they are SO worthwhile. We also had to monitor DD's oxygen on her first two flights and her O2 levels were much better when sleeping in the bassinet than in any other position.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They have to come out of the carrier for take off and landing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    They have to come out of the carrier for take off and landing.
    And if the seatbelt sign comes on at any time, like turbulence.

I always find a carrier to be an absolute must in the airport and during boarding or exiting plane. So do take it to use then

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (24-08-2014),lilypily  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! It's a pity they can't be used as I would have thought the ergo kept them as safely secured as a lap belt would. Oh well. The flights are reasonably short and I don't think the planes will be big enough to have bassinet seats so I'll just hold her on my lap and use the ergo at the airports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep definitely have to take them out. I didn't understand it either if the worst was to happen a baby in a carrier would be much easier to handle then if you had to physically carry them out of the aeroplane but it's their rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a PITA but yes, they must come out. I've taken around 30 flights with a child on my lap and I've had a couple where there's no child belt (different country's policy) but all where they must come out of the carrier.

It makes sense though as there is no standards testing for carriers and definitely none under flight conditions. Plus most carriers, when seated, could obstruct access to the wearer's own seatbelt release.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have travelled when my DD was 5 weeks old and as others have said the Ergo is fantastic. It's a pain as you have to take off to go through security but once on the flight I found it more comfortable to take it off rather than sit with it on. My bub slept the whole way (2.5 hours) and I was fussed over by all the flight attendants who helped on and off as I was also on my own. All in all I had a great experience and would always carry bubs in the Ergo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to add that you might get asked to take your bub out of the carrier when you go through the security gates at the airport.

It was annoying when I had to remove my ds out of the carrier, put the carrier through xray while I went through the security gate, then put bub back in etc... I had my dh with me so it was ok but just be aware you might have to do the same while you manage your carry-on luggage etc if you are travelling just with the bub.

Not really sure if it's the standard thing or maybe it was one of those random checks...

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the airport whether you have to take them out when you go through security. I've had to take DS out at one airport & not at others so be prepared for it. It's annoying trying to juggle everything while putting them in & out of the carrier. But it's so worth taking the carrier in my opinion.

TTC 10 years & finally got our miracle bub............finally!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to matalee For This Useful Post:

peonies  (24-08-2014)