+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Salt Therapy rooms: a load of crap or worthwhile??

We've had a shocking winter this year. DD had come home with, oh about a zillion colds and coughs from daycare, and I've managed to catch every. single. virus when normally I only get a couple of colds per year max.

So. Salt Therapy. Hot or not? I'm normally a very "evidence-based" user of such therapies, but I'm desperate and will seriously give anything a go! Anyone been? Thoughts ? Adverse effects?

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm interested in feedback too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing - I bought a salt lamp (just a small one) a few months ago. Dd didn't have any croup this year - could've been because of the lamp?!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have used them and loved them. We have a salt lamp in our kids room since the beginning of last winter...none of my kids have had a day off school for a cold since, and we've not had one night of 'all night coughing' either. We took one of our children for a nasal drip that used to stop her from falling to sleep at night because as soon as she'd lie down she'd have to clear her throat every few seconds...it would settle once she was asleep. We opted to try salt therapy after a neighbour with chronic lung disease gave us some information about it...we had a few sessions, and it always went away so well, and then would come back after a week or so. We bought a salt lamp for the room from there and haven't been back. I feel so bad because this $25 lamp has solved our issues but all of our issues were mild in comparison to others and they have families who come once a week during cold and flu season when they are prone to all the sickness that comes with that and have great reports from these families who usually are really sick but remain healthy. My neighbour goes once a week and has had two winters cold free...which is great for her as every cold she gets shortens her life.

ETA - salt therapy for respiratory issues is evidence based. Salt therapy (of various kinds) has been used for Cystic Fibrosis sufferers for years.
    Last edited by Full House; 23-08-2014 at 22:19.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a word of warning if you are getting a salt lamp - makes sure you get a good salt lamp and not a cheap one.

My mil bought me one for my birthday last year and I looked at if the other day when i was tidying up. It was completely wet and had made everything around if wet. Dh checked and there is not leak in the ceiling and no other furniture where the lamp was, and nothing with water near it. It had to have been the lamp.

Anyway The wires had rusted and was most certainly going to trip the circuit (if not electrocute dh or me) if we used it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie29 View Post
    Just a word of warning if you are getting a salt lamp - makes sure you get a good salt lamp and not a cheap one.

My mil bought me one for my birthday last year and I looked at if the other day when i was tidying up. It was completely wet and had made everything around if wet. Dh checked and there is not leak in the ceiling and no other furniture where the lamp was, and nothing with water near it. It had to have been the lamp.

Anyway The wires had rusted and was most certainly going to trip the circuit (if not electrocute dh or me) if we used it.
    This is not because the lamp was cheap, it's normal for salt lamps to 'perspire' unless they are warmed up (left on) often. Obviously it's not good that the wires had rusted though. The lamp should have come with instructions to explain how to use it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing too. We have all had a terrible winter as well. Ds1 started school this year and ds2 started daycare so between the two of them they have brought home everything and spread it around the house. I'm interested in getting some salt lamps if it will help. Where do you get them?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing :-)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    a friend of mine takes her kids to a place that does salt treatment whenever they have colds. she highly recommends it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (24-08-2014)