+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work winge. Warning, long rant.

I have 2 weeks of work left. 8 shifts. I'm so ready to be done now. I'm 33+4. My back hurts. My hips hurt. My pelvis hurts. My feet hurt. I work in an ED. I run all shift. My patients and their families all want to talk about my pregnancy while I'm trying to assess them and their medical conditions that they thought were serious enough for an ambulance ride to hospo. They all want to tell me the sex of the baby (we don't know). Spanish wisdom seems to say girl, I keep getting boy from Eastern European women. I don't care, I'm trying to get rid of your chest pain, abdo pain, make sure your not having a stroke right now, you know, that thing you came to hospital for. Also, don't touch my belly! It's weird. I hate it when patients touch me normally, never mind rub my swollen belly. And another thing, stop trying to feed me! Again, weird. I generally don't like to eat food in the same space as I just undressed you, sat you on a pan, and cannulated you (probably spurting blood as I've gotten really clumsy this week).
    Sorry for the rant. I love my job. I'm in struggle town though. Anyone else over work??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    I have 2 weeks of work left. 8 shifts. I'm so ready to be done now. I'm 33+4. My back hurts. My hips hurt. My pelvis hurts. My feet hurt. I work in an ED. I run all shift. My patients and their families all want to talk about my pregnancy while I'm trying to assess them and their medical conditions that they thought were serious enough for an ambulance ride to hospo. They all want to tell me the sex of the baby (we don't know). Spanish wisdom seems to say girl, I keep getting boy from Eastern European women. I don't care, I'm trying to get rid of your chest pain, abdo pain, make sure your not having a stroke right now, you know, that thing you came to hospital for. Also, don't touch my belly! It's weird. I hate it when patients touch me normally, never mind rub my swollen belly. And another thing, stop trying to feed me! Again, weird. I generally don't like to eat food in the same space as I just undressed you, sat you on a pan, and cannulated you (probably spurting blood as I've gotten really clumsy this week).
    Sorry for the rant. I love my job. I'm in struggle town though. Anyone else over work??
    I'm a nurse too and although I'm not pregnant and I don't work in ed I hear your pain. I work in stroke unit and I'm definately over it. I'm sick of the bells ringing, sick of taking people to the toilet, sick of rude relatives and patients who think they are the only ones in the ward, sick of being exhausted at the end of each shift, sick of confused and demented patients who contstantly try and get out of bed, fall and them your stuck doing neuro obs and masses of paper work on top of your already heavy load. Yep I'm over it sister.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (24-08-2014)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a nurse and have a job that allows me a lot of flexibility including spending most of my day sitting down but I empathise with you Op.
    I finished yesterday at 37w1d and whilst nothing really hurts and physically I could probably keep going another week at least, my fuse has shortened to the point where i'm not sure I can control myself!
    I find myself asking "What the eff is wrong with people" quite regularly - well in the last few weeks, I've found myself asking it every day, many times a day. And i'm snappy and have no patience and basically I think have been very unpleasant to be around!
    I get the people touching you thing too. People I only know through work have been grabbing at my tummy. I'm an overweight girl so what I'd love to say to them is "when it was just fat you weren't interested in grabbing hold were you?"
    It was definitely time for me to finish up - even though I was emotional about that too!
    I hope you make it through your last 8 shifts and then get the chance to put your feet up and have some time to relax.
    Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im with you girl... im a nurse in oncology. .. I hate people touching my stomach... omfg...dont touch me!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha, yes to all of you. Glad I'm not alone in my being over work! I really don't want to be the wingey pregnant lady at work, so it's good to have somewhere to vent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    RN here too on a general med/surf ward, currently 18wks, not hating life too much yet - although late-earlys are killing me! I need more than 6 hrs sleep at this point in my life! Haha. Some of the pts are such heavy work, whilst others are very soft admissions, and I can't help but think you are more able bodied than I am, how is it that you are laying in a hospital bed whilst I'm running around after you?? That's why we get paid the big bucks I guess. Hahaha :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness Super Trooper. Late/earlies are killing me! I only have one left! Another thing that bothers me is patients who want me to help them up and stuff. We have a no lift policy, which I tell patients, but even if we didn't, do you really need a 33week pregnant lady to pull you out of bed!?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Snowman For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    Another thing that bothers me is patients who want me to help them up and stuff. We have a no lift policy, which I tell patients, but even if we didn't, do you really need a 33week pregnant lady to pull you out of bed!?!
    This. OMG. Just because you are morbidly obese doesn't mean you need me to pull you out of bed because you're too lazy to do it yourself. I'm in ICU and the heavy lifting that patients and their relatives asked me to do while I was pregnant was amazing. My colleagues were awesome, but it was still really hard. I really feel for you....best of luck with it all!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver flute For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha.. I had a chuckle at your post, OP. I feel for you, but I had the funniest visuals in my mind of a poor pregnant lady being harassed, rubbed and fed at work!