+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    how are you today @lil miss ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lil miss,

Thanks for the updates. Been praying for you. Lots of hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @BH-KatiesMum im ok(ish) today. Been busy cleaning the house so its all pretty when he gets home tomorrow. Spoke to him about the results, he said he is supposed to be calling them this arv "if he gets time"- I wanted to slap him! He is super busy today trying to get as much as he can done before he comes home for hid days off because the other guys are hopeless and wont do it. I think part of it is he is also trying to avoid it because it makes it real, if that makes sense.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So dh text me and said he has spoken to the dr and he will talk to me tonight about it when he gets home (he flies in at 10pm). Im guessing it isnt great news as normally he would just call me or text me. Telling myself he is just wanting to surprise me and tell me its all good, theres been a huge mistake and nothing is wrong.

Eta- a thought just occurred to me (this is why I hate not being able to ask his dr anything!). On the girls immunisation forms, it asks about anyone with immunity issues in the house etc... this wouldnt be an issue unless he has to undergo chemo/radiation would it? And the kids all have heavy colds (again!), again wouldn't be an issue unless his immunity was comprimised (which it wouldnt be unless he was having chemo etc)? Is that right? So many questions but nobody to ask!

Embrace the chaos
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 05-09-2014 at 14:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If he's just having surgery, he should be ok. If he's having chemo or radiation (more so the chemo), then yes those things would be a risk. If there is talk about going down that path start talking to your girls about the importance of hand hygiene, covering mouth when coughing, sneezing, blowing nose etc. Unfortunately small children are the carrier for just about every big under the sun so you will just need to be vigilant. I know you're probably doing all of that already, but you want to make sure that it becomes second nature to them. Any sign of a sniffle, keep them away from the hospital if he's a patient. If there's any immunisations/boosters needed, talk to your GP about whether you should have them or not.

If it's just surgery, I wouldn't stress too much. But it's possible that he will have some form of chest drain in place for a few days post op. Make sure the first time you see DH post op is without your kids so you know how to prepare them. ie, so when we go in to see daddy he's going to have a tube coming out of his side. The tube is there to a) drain any nasty bugs out of daddy, b) help daddy's lung/s get fixed so he can be nice and strong again. Sometimes it can just be a shock to see your loved one in a hospital bed, no matter the number of tubes and what not are coming out of them. Given it's lung ca it's possible he will have a night in ICU post op, but that will entirely depend on what they do/recommend. I strongly advise attending appointments with your DH as able so that between the 2 of you, you get most of the info you need. Also write down any questions you have so that you or your DH can ask the doctor at the next appt. I can guarantee you'll remember what your questions were until the minute you enter the drs office and then your mind will go blank.

Get in contact with the Cancer Council. Not only can they help you out with practical info, but I believe their support system is fantastic. Whether it's support for your DH, for you, for SIL and the kids they can point you in the way of support services, support groups etc. I'd also check out the lung cancer foundation. You want to arm yourself with knowledge so you can both make informed decisions.

Surround yourselves with supportive people. Not only to help you out with the kids while he's immediately post op, but also for when he's home and recuperating. Any cancer diagnosis can be an emotional roller coaster.

Also as morbid as it sounds (and I certainly hope none of this is ever needed, well for a good 50-60 years anyway), sort out any legal documents. Update his/your will. Is your newest DD on there? Discuss any bank accounts etc that are only in his name. Either can he put you as a joint account holder or a beneficiary. Can he claim on any income protection insurance while he's off work? Do you have health insurance, and if so what can you claim? Are you entitled to any further payments from centre link etc to support you while he's off work/having treatment? Can he claim anything from his super if required? I'm sure there are certain circumstances where you can draw on your super early - this may be one of them.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-09-2014),LoveLivesHere  (05-09-2014),SheWarrior  (05-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you so much @theoneandonlyem. That has helped immensely. He hasnt told me what the official results said- he said he will tell me face to face tonight when he gets home. He has said that he has told his health care providers up there that he wants any further treatment to be done here (he is in darwin atm which is why I havent been able to be there).

Will see what he says tonight and take it from there I guess.

Embrace the chaos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thinking of you and your hubby. I hope your hubby has some clarification and that the doctors have a clear path forward. Stay strong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've only just stumbled across this thread lil miss. Sending my love and am thinking if you and your previous family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you @ VicPark and @teeni xo

Well he is home... and I went all pathetic last night awaiting his arrivial. Normally I dont go in to get him but last night I figured I had no kids with me so I went to the gate. Also put effort into my appearance- make up, hair and pretty clothes lol. Watching his plane land I felt like a giddy school girl lol. And for the first time in a long time, the first thing he did was give me a kiss. He never even usually says hello let alone kisses me, abd has never kissed me in public! Was very sweet. Got home and was expecting to talk about whats going on, but he said can we talk about it tomorrow, he just wants to hold me tonight. He is only home for the weekend he said, so he can be with the kids for fathers day (which isnt like him, in the past he has been away for fathers day and we just do something when he gets he back). Im guessing if it was good news he would have wanted to tell me straight away.

Embrace the chaos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hoping your family has a great Father's Day weekend. Must be so hard with hubby working away. Xxx