+ Reply to Thread

Default Westmead Public

Hi Everyone,

I just found out I am 8 weeks pregnant, and feeling the pressure to choose hospitals asap!
    We have PHI and always just assumed we would use it and go private, but after calling OBs for fees, I am having a change of heart.

I have done a lot of googling, but haven't really found out too much recent info on Westmead Public, and was hoping I could get some reviews of people on here.

sorry about all the questions, but any replies would be appreciated;

- how far along were you for your first appointment?
    - do they do caseload midwifery?
    - what was the waiting time like for appointments?
    - how often did you see your midwife?
    - what were the delivery rooms like? Did they have an ensuite? What was the room setup?
    - what was the maternity ward like? Are they all shared rooms, or any private? If shared, with how many others?

sorry about the questions being so basic, but I don't know anyone that has been there before, and they don't offer tours.

Thanks again!

Hi first of all congratulations!!
    I had my DS at Westmead public 18 months ago and though it's all a but of a blur, I'll try to answer all your questions.

- how far along were you for your first appointment?

16 weeks? I can't really remember, sorry

- do they do caseload midwifery?

They do, but by the time I had my first appointment they were full. Plus, I wanted to do shared care with my GP so I didn't mind. All the midwives I saw for my appointments were lovely, but try to get your doctor to send the letter in ASAP if that is something that is important to you.

- what was the waiting time like for appointments?

Not too bad. I'm not going to lie, it's a busy hospital, like all public hospitals seem to be, but I don't remember ever waiting longer than 30 mins to be seen. Most of the time it was more like 10mins.

- how often did you see your midwife?

At first, only once a month, but as you get further into your late second/ early third trimester it becomes more regular, then right at the end it was once a week. Once I went overdue they had me come in every day/ second day for monitoring to make sure Bub was ok in there.

- what were the delivery rooms like? Did they have an ensuite? What was the room setup?

The delivery rooms were fine, basic. I've heard of some hospitals having recliners for hubby, but it was just those uncomfy hospital chairs. They did have an ensuite with a shower, most have a bath too, and you can labour in there provided your water hasn't broken. I'm a bit hazy on the room as I was in pain and not really paying attention lol. Oh, and you are only allowed maximum 2 support people in there with you, something to keep in mind.

- what was the maternity ward like? Are they all shared rooms, or any private? If shared, with how many others?

I ended up with a csection and got my own room, though there are some shared ones as well. I think it's usually only 2 to a shared room. They tried to space people out. I found the midwives/ nurses to be so lovely, they took the time to teach us everything, from swaddling to changing nappies to feeding. We also had someone come to our room to show us how to give DS his first bath. They also offer a few classes in the hospital that you can go to during your stay if you want, which were helpful.

I stayed an extra night because my milk was very slow to come in and they wanted to give me more help with feeding. The food was fine, nothing special, but edible. Hubby had to leave at 9pm every night, which sucked, but I was usually exhausted by then anyway.

Also, on a side note, I did a tour of the birthing suites before I had DS, I think at 30ish weeks, so you should look into that. Overall, I have no complaints. The staff were great and I felt supported. Good luck