+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg allergy when do they grew out of it?

My 24 months old DD has egg allergy which was confirmed at 18 months with the skin prick test and blood test. I am wondering when do kids usually grow out of this allergy? It is becoming harder to eat out as many food has eggs or traces of eggs. Her fav food are pasta, fish finger, pizza, any cakes... Which all have eggs at a cafe. I kept forgetting to ask my GP, but are u supposed to do a test every year or just keep little bits of egg and see what happens?

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the Sydney Children's Hospital page
    Many infants and young children will grow out of their egg allergy. Approximately 2/3 will grow out of their allergy by 5 years of age. Those children who have had milder allergic reactions with only skin reactions are more likely to outgrow their allergy than children with more severe reactions. Your doctor can determine whether egg allergy is still present by monitoring the allergy tests every 12 months or so.

Hope yours is one of them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Unfortunately I'm one of those who never grew out of an egg allergy!

Eating out is a challenge for sure.

I hope your child is one of the many who outgrow the allergy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS's allergist advised we keep introducing small amounts of egg in baked goods continually after he was dx at 2 years. His reaction was mild- hives on his mouth, face and hands after eating egg. I honestly can't remember when he actually outgrew it, it was a gradual process. By 4 years of age though, he could touch raw egg and touch his face and have no hives. GL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    DD was diagnosed with egg through a blood test at 4 months and skin prick at 12 months. We just went back 3 weeks ago and now at 2.5 dh has outgrown it and also her wheat allergy.

Unfortunately for us / her she's still very much allergic to peanut, sesame and tree nuts.

You should go back every year. As DDs remaining allergies came up in the second skin prick as severe, we were told to leave it 2 years.

Allergies really do suck, especially when you go out to eat as you say.

It is really hard, but hopefully your little one will outgrow it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 4 and has an egg allergy (amongst others). He gets tested every 12 months and unfortunately, not all kids outgrow an egg allergy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We outgrew it just before ds turned 4yrs. Dd outgrew it at 1 yr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds was just before school at around 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One child outgrew their egg allergy at 5, one child still has it at nearly 9. For us, challenges occur in hospital....we only challenge at home under the instruction of our immunologist, but it would depend on the severity of the reaction...keep in mind it can get worse each exposure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    agree with yearly testing. my son has had 2 anaphylactic reactions to eggs (he is nearly 3) plus other things also. I also have problems eating out but im now use to it and we don't even think now its just normal. we do eat may contain traces food though as in Australia the regualtions around labelling doesn't help anyway. my son had an anaphylactic reaction to a food which didn't contain egg but also did not have any waring about may contain traces. they don't have to write it on a label even if it may contain the allergen. Plus often even if it says may contain it may be very little chance its got traces and they are covering their butts. eating out is the definitely the hardest thing.