+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Blood in poop for 6 weeks now, please help!!!

Hi our son is 4 months old and have been on breast feeding since new born, his had spots of blood in his poop for the last 5 - 6 weeks now, only stopping for 1 or 2 stood's every now and then.

my wife have try cutting everything from diary to soy and fruit, we have been to multiple Dr's and pediatrician and non of them seems to help, all they do is tell us to try this try that, but he is not getting any better

around 30 hr ago we decided to go with a prescription formula (Karicare Aptamil gold pepi- Junior)

now 30 hr later his poop is dark green extremely close to black and mucousy with lot more blood then before !!

we are out of ideas and the mum is extremely stressed so i thought ill try my luck on the forums.

3 questions

1. would anyone be able to suggest anything or know what is going on and what else we can try?

2. anyone know of a good Dr or Pedi that actually cares that we can go to in sydney metro?

3. are there any other baby forums i can try my luck on? i know essential baby and this seems the the biggest baby forums in Aus right?

thank you
    Last edited by LoadingError; 22-08-2014 at 14:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been through this with my DD. It isn't fun.

Pepti junior is a great place to start for cmpi. It will take at least 2 weeks for the gut to settle down and the bowels. So you may still get blood until the inflammation subsides.
    Pepti made my dd's stools dark and mucous like too.
    If pepti doesn't work and Bub still isn't tolerating it you could discuss with your paed neocate or elecare.
    Unfortunately cmpi is one of those things that is hard to diagnose and can take a while to settle and go away.

Keep offering the pepti. At least that's what I would do and if it's not going well and getting worse I'd call your paediatrician.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has bub been tested for viruses/infection? It wasn't until we took our son to the ed after trialling dairy and soy free with minimal effect that rotavirus was diagnosed, which had caused damage to his stomach lining and the bleeding, and a secondary lactose intolerance. And he had been immunised for rotavirus but unfortunate it only reduces the severity of the illness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

LoadingError  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    Has bub been tested for viruses/infection? It wasn't until we took our son to the ed after trialling dairy and soy free with minimal effect that rotavirus was diagnosed, which had caused damage to his stomach lining and the bleeding, and a secondary lactose intolerance. And he had been immunised for rotavirus but unfortunate it only reduces the severity of the illness.
    Hi misstrouble, no we havent tested anything becasuse all this time the paed kept saying it was CMPI so she kept telling us to cut dairy out.
    can you please tell me more about the retrovirus?
    ive been doing my head in thinking back when the poo started to change and today i had a hunch about the vaccination he had at 8weeks old.
    has your son recovered? what test did he go through? did it go away naturally or did you have meds prescribed? how did he get better? how long did it take for your son to get better?

im sorry for all the questions but the more you can share with me the more i can prompt drs.

your help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is ridiculous that your care providers have not done more thorough testing on your little ones stools! It is very simple to do and will help exclude things and give a clearer picture of what is causing this.
    Salmonella also causes blood in stools and can linger in the bowel for weeks so please add this to the list of things that are checked.
    A GP should be able to order this basic screening. Perhaps ask your local maternal child health nurse to suggest a good GP in the area.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally would not stop breastfeeding on the advice of doctors that had already given me reason not to trust their judgement.
    X

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (25-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds pooed blood, lots of it. Sometimes his nappy looked like it was filled with strawberry jam. I remember how frightening it was for me as a first time mum. I got so stressed and anxious I used to hyperventilate changing nappies. So huge big hugs... My ds was pretty sick for a while and it took a long time to sort out his gut issues but he is now a big strong strapping 5 yr old and you wouldn't even know... So let that reassure you that it won't have any long lasting effects, it's just stressful now.

Here's advice on prescription formula's if you go down that path...Pepti junior is only a partially hydrolysed formula so is usually the first port of call and most paeds will make you try this first but it doesn't work for all babies. If that doesn't work there is Neocate which usually works well for 90% of allergy babies. Both formula' s can be mixed up and used on cereal, in cooking when baby starts solids as well. They usually take 2 weeks to kick in and see a difference.

Google Cows Milk Protein intolerance.
    Cut the formula straight away (pepti junior obviously doesn't work) and try cutting dairy and soy from mum's diet (see a dietician) and eating as unprocessed as possible.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2008/...rgy-australian

Look for a paediatric gastroenterologist if possible as they are your best bet.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 25-08-2014 at 08:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoadingError View Post
    Hi misstrouble, no we havent tested anything becasuse all this time the paed kept saying it was CMPI so she kept telling us to cut dairy out.
    can you please tell me more about the retrovirus?
    ive been doing my head in thinking back when the poo started to change and today i had a hunch about the vaccination he had at 8weeks old.
    has your son recovered? what test did he go through? did it go away naturally or did you have meds prescribed? how did he get better? how long did it take for your son to get better?

im sorry for all the questions but the more you can share with me the more i can prompt drs.

your help is appreciated.
    From what I understand rotavirus is a particular form of gastro. It was diagnosed by a stool sample (the hospital doctors had us do three separate samples as one is often not definitive. DS had frequent poos (up to 8 a day) that were very loose and often green, mucousy and with blood. We know now this was most likely a lactose intolerance caused by the damage to the stomach lining by rotavirus. The virus can also cause vomiting so you need to make sure bub is hydrated enough. No medication was needed but we gave DS lacteeze drops in order to reduce the lactose content of breastfeeds. It took several months for his poos to be normal again and now is fine.
    The timing with vaccinations might be relevant - the rotavirus vaccine contains the live virus so it can be passed in their poos for the days following vaccination. We have since learnt that some doctors recommend wearing gloves for nappy changes for the week following for this reason.
    I'm with @RedCreamingSoda - your doctor should at least run some simple stool tests before insisting it is CMPI. We had a few GPs insist our son had cmpi and told me I wasn't bring strict enough with my diet so that's why he wasn't improving. Please get a second (or third) opinion - it may still be cmpi but at least you'll have more certainty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    LoadingError how is your son doing? Have you found a doctor who is going to do some more stool testing?