+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby carrier for breastfeeding

I'm looking for a good baby carrier to use for my newborn, baby #1 will be 21 months so I'm thinking I will have to run around after a toddler and breastfeed as well. I already have a baby bjorn but want to have something more comfortable for a newborn and I could not figure out how to feed my first baby in the baby bjorn. Currently tossing up between hugabub and ergo baby wrap style carriers but I would like some suggestions as I'm still not convinced...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A ring sling. A good woven will last you well into toddlerhood a stretchy like the hugabub or ergo wrap will only last a few months though they are good too. I find ring slings much easier to bf in personally and still do and DD is 23 months old.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've also heard a ring sling is great but am yet to get one.
    DS is 8 weeks and I've mostly used a mei tai, I've found it pretty easy to breastfeed in by undoing the shoulder straps and loosening the front enough to shift bub onto boob. But this might also be dependent on breast size and whether one's baby is happy to feed sitting up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have used a few different types of carriers (ring sling, ergo, stretchy and non-stretchy wraps), and have found a ring sling the easiest to feed in, as I can loosen the ring easily to drop bub down to a cradle position to feed, then pop bub back to upright and tighten up.

I love, love, love a stretchy wrap for a newborn (like hug-a-bub (they only last a few months though as PP mentioned)), but I can't feed in them, as I carry bub up very high (head right under my chin), and once they are wrapped tight it is difficult to adjust bubs position to feed. When feeding in my stretchy I have had to take bub out, feed, then pop him back in. When feeding in the ergo I have to loosen or undo 1 strap, but have found it a bit uncomfortable as bub still has froggied legs and I find feeding in the cradle position easiest.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 22-08-2014 at 12:13.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips guys. I decided in the end to get an ergo wrap (same as a hugabub). I wanted to bf and carry at the same time but I watched an instructional video on how to use a ring sling and went nooooo I'm not comfortable with that! Not quite as handsfree as I would have liked either... But I liked the video for using a wrap, so I figure even if I can't bf in it better going with something I am comfortable using. When bub gets older I might get a ring sling or a different carrier, it would be good to carry my toddler on the hip.
    Last edited by Eilonwy; 29-08-2014 at 12:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a boba ssc I easily feed in

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I just got a secondhand bubba moe from eBay too - my toddler is a bit sick/cranky ATM he is 18 months and was more than happy to be carried around on my hip while I was making his dinner tonight, so I figured I would get some use out of it now!