+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have tried so many times to post more in this thread but I get halfway through and the kids start screaming. My plan in the next week is to try and weed to garden and put more dirt in but I also should be baking for the local show.
    My chooks have gone from 13 to 6 (half are roosters) courtesy of a fox. Wasn't a good day finding that but my best nester and my good rooster survived so hopefully it won't be long till I get more littlies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    Looks good, what sort of wood is it?
    Sairz our sleepers are hardwood from bunnings.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    Well this is my patch that I finally finished putting shade cloth up on yesterday
    Exciting! Looks great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I have tried so many times to post more in this thread but I get halfway through and the kids start screaming. My plan in the next week is to try and weed to garden and put more dirt in but I also should be baking for the local show.
    My chooks have gone from 13 to 6 (half are roosters) courtesy of a fox. Wasn't a good day finding that but my best nester and my good rooster survived so hopefully it won't be long till I get more littlies.
    Sorry to hear about the chooks. Hope it wasn't a gruesome find for the little ones.

I'm impressed you are baking for the show. Every year I say I'm going to enter something (anything!) for our local show, more for a laugh but also to support the ag show which is on the metro fringe.

I'm thinking about getting DS a chook palace for Christmas. He loves the chooks at daycare. We don't have nice gardens so the chooks can free range through the day. It will need to be cat and fox proof though. Are people happy to share details/photos of their chook houses and how they would tweak the design? Or should I start a spin off thread??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love to see the chook houses too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love to see the chook houses too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, no black soot. It is a thing were it is weeping sap heaps, in lots of places - bubbles coming out and when you chip away a the bark you can see that the trunk is damaged. Sigh - it takes so long to grow a full grown tree. So annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheaty View Post
    Hi everyone.

We live on a 6000 acre family farm in wa, most of the farm is cropped by DHs cousin but we have our little bit of dirt up the back of the farm where we have put our house (transportable, built last year) and I'm finally starting to get plans under way for the gardens, planted my fruit trees and a couple of gum trees for wind breaks a couple of months ago now to move on to the exciting bit, not sure where to start but I'll be starting with a bobcat I know that much, trying to level out a hill.

Do your fruit trees look like they are covered in black soot beebs? My lemon tree had this not long ago, if you mix vege oil, dish washing liquid and water and spray it on the affected area it suffocates it, then leave it for a week or so and wash it off. if you google black sooty mould remedies it will give you the right proportions to mix

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just put a chook house on layby and the kids are all getting their own hen for Christmas- they let you pay it off with no set time, so that was a winner for me. I do have nice gardens (well - trying to t least so, I am going to section off a part down the back for the chooks to live in - we are going to get 4-5 barnevelders or Australorps - I'm leaning towards the first because they are supposed to be amazing with kids and great for cool climates.

This is the one I've ordered - http://www.backyardchickencoops.com....the-taj-mahal/
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Sorry to hear about the chooks. Hope it wasn't a gruesome find for the little ones.

I'm impressed you are baking for the show. Every year I say I'm going to enter something (anything!) for our local show, more for a laugh but also to support the ag show which is on the metro fringe.

I'm thinking about getting DS a chook palace for Christmas. He loves the chooks at daycare. We don't have nice gardens so the chooks can free range through the day. It will need to be cat and fox proof though. Are people happy to share details/photos of their chook houses and how they would tweak the design? Or should I start a spin off thread??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post

The kids were with me but they understand and weren't too upset. I had to and them inside while I shot an injured one though, I don't feel safe shooting with the 2 yo near me, he doesn't understand to stay still.

I love my show baking, normally I have about 6 entries and the last 2 years I've gone to regional finals. This year I've got a new entry - tinted eggs! My Aracuna x hen is laying so I've got her eggs, some brown eggs and some bantam eggs to enter. Might even enter my rooster.

Our chook run is huge, the have a tank with the side cut out for a home and 8 foot fences which normally keep the foxes away but not this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    A chicken coop will be the next project once I've done the veggie garden. Another salvage of an existing area, it used to be a dog pen I think, this will be the housing area and will add a run onto it (it's in shambles right now but structurally it's good) ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1411516011.285488.jpg