+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Nat (and anyone else interested). Just thought you might like to check out a Facebook page I love - it's called 'Jetto's Patch a Perth edible garden on less than half an acre'. All about edible gardening.

It is a public page so you can just google it and check it out. Members from around the world but in particular Australia. Lots of advice, posts and info for growing edibles in Aussie conditions. Some really knowledgeable members, including hosts from Garden Gurus, Gardening Australia etc. I have learned sooo much and there are so many awesome ideas. 😊

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StellarMaris For This Useful Post:

almai  (08-11-2014),beebs  (24-09-2014),clbj  (22-09-2014),NAT2561  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StellarMaris View Post
    Hey Nat (and anyone else interested). Just thought you might like to check out a Facebook page I love - it's called 'Jetto's Patch a Perth edible garden on less than half an acre'. All about edible gardening.

It is a public page so you can just google it and check it out. Members from around the world but in particular Australia. Lots of advice, posts and info for growing edibles in Aussie conditions. Some really knowledgeable members, including hosts from Garden Gurus, Gardening Australia etc. I have learned sooo much and there are so many awesome ideas. 😊
    Thanks! I'll definitely check it out. I've joined a couple of other Facebook groups but nothing startling. This one sounds great.

Well on the weekend DH started building my garden beds. They are two sleepers high (400mm), hardwood sleepers. I potted my tomato seedlings from their propagation trays into pots to grow out a bit more. I planted two pumpkin seedlings into a dirt pile in our front yard (I got sick of looking at this pile and thought I might make use of it). If the bunnies and the dogs leave them alone we might have pumpkins one day. I didn't want pumpkins taking up space in my actual garden.

I also headed over to a friend's place a couple of hours away to help her make cheese. It's a hobby of mine and she is just starting so I went over to get her going. I don't have the time for it since having my bubs but it's inspired me to find a day to make another batch soon. I miss it! We made a big batch of triple cream brie. Yum!

Welcome to new members of this group. Love to hear what you're doing on your patch.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm waiting on my house to settle so I can move in!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well this is my patch that I finally finished putting shade cloth up on yesterday (smashed my thumb again in the process grr) the sunny side will be for fruiting plants (tomatoes etc) the way the sun moves means they will get sun almost all of the day, the other side for things like carrots and leafy greens.
    Now today it's time to start digging up the ground to clear it out for a garden bed. ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1411337359.915076.jpg
    Some of the poles are wonky, I salvaged an existing old greenhouse that was there and put concrete at the base of some of the poles because they were still sturdy and strong just a bit rotted out at the bottom. Only ended up replacing 2 of them.
    Last edited by Sairz; 22-09-2014 at 08:13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh sairz...well done! That looks like a brilliant growing area. I hope the shade cloth is a great help. Are you in a hotter climate? We are in a cool climate but a friend of ours has a similar area to yours and he has great success. What will your beds be made of? Will they be salvaged materials too?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's my veggie patch so far. There are three more rectangular beds to go in. So excited!
    Attached Images

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

clbj  (23-09-2014),Sairz  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone.

We live on a 6000 acre family farm in wa, most of the farm is cropped by DHs cousin but we have our little bit of dirt up the back of the farm where we have put our house (transportable, built last year) and I'm finally starting to get plans under way for the gardens, planted my fruit trees and a couple of gum trees for wind breaks a couple of months ago now to move on to the exciting bit, not sure where to start but I'll be starting with a bobcat I know that much, trying to level out a hill.

Do your fruit trees look like they are covered in black soot beebs? My lemon tree had this not long ago, if you mix vege oil, dish washing liquid and water and spray it on the affected area it suffocates it, then leave it for a week or so and wash it off. if you google black sooty mould remedies it will give you the right proportions to mix

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    That is one of the reasons for sure, no water issues in town here- but we are one of the few towns out this way that never have any water restrictions due to our clever council thinking ahead! The town next from us has been on stage 2 water restrictions for years! Having said that, if we move out we'd need tanks and bore water I think - we are in a pretty dry and drought prone area.

I am interested in your veggie patch watering system - we are about to have 4 big ones put in (as well as the ones I already have) when I can be bothered actually doing it. But I've been mulling over the best way to water - I had thought either drip or little sprinkler sprays - but neither sound good going by your issues?

Anyone else have any fruit trees with a disease on it? I am very sure one of my cherries has something like black rot or fungal rot or something and I want to save it - but not sure what I can do? It is a lovely tree( Gah -bloody neighbours have heaps of fruit trees that have gone to ruin because they don't look after them and now ours are becoming infected! Don't have to worry about your neighbours when you are on acres do you? Sigh!

PS @NAT2561 - you're the one who had twins didn't you? How are they going?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheaty For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Oh sairz...well done! That looks like a brilliant growing area. I hope the shade cloth is a great help. Are you in a hotter climate? We are in a cool climate but a friend of ours has a similar area to yours and he has great success. What will your beds be made of? Will they be salvaged materials too?

We get very hot dry heat here, even now it's only 24 degrees but the sun feels much harsher. On an upside we have no lawns to really take care of in summer, it all gets burnt to nothing lol. It's also acting as a bit of a wind break, the hot northerly wind would be blowing strait onto it otherwise.
    The bed will be made from pine, I would have loved to use jarrah sleepers but they proved hard to come by and more expensive. I was worried about using treated pine but I'm going for a type called acq treated pine which is arsenic free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Here's my veggie patch so far. There are three more rectangular beds to go in. So excited!
    Looks good, what sort of wood is it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for now.

We live on just over 6 acres.

Getting the veggie garden ready at the moment. Have a whole bunch of seedlings ready to go (planted the seeds in makeshift greenhouses about 4 weeks ago). The veggie patch is about 10m x 20m, so a fair bit of work... for a beginner!!!

Hoping to learn a few things here!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeHasCome For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (24-09-2014)