+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nat2561 the block is bare.. I'm yet to plant trees and need to put a front fence in stat.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1410830921.879662.jpg

We have town water and the house runs on tank water so best of both worlds.

My first thing will be to plant out the front with trees to block the wind. I'm going magnolias, lily Pilly and some others. I'm guessing growing them straight could be an issue but apparently we are moving out of the windy time until the hot northerly kicks in over summer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know the feeling, I don't have any family around either, but my twins just turned 5, it is way easier now than it was when they were little. It's nice when they can start doing the things we enjoy too. My boys (I have 4) just helped me make some bikkies - it was a bit of a disaster -but it kept them happy - so it is all good;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Yes beebs. I have identical twin girls. They are 15 months old now, which is why I'm finally getting back into doing some things I love besides being a mum, like veggie gardening! I'm excited to see real life returning after a big year or so. We don't have anyone to babysit so we've been limited in working together to get things done. We have 80 acres of hobby farm so there is always plenty to do!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ohhh - you could do a tree lined drive, I'd love a tree lined drive - sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Nat2561 the block is bare.. I'm yet to plant trees and need to put a front fence in stat.

Attachment 60826

We have town water and the house runs on tank water so best of both worlds.

My first thing will be to plant out the front with trees to block the wind. I'm going magnolias, lily Pilly and some others. I'm guessing growing them straight could be an issue but apparently we are moving out of the windy time until the hot northerly kicks in over summer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ooh it's gorgeous lilypily! I'm so envious of your neat, manicured space! We have renovated and extended an old settlers cottage built in 1854 so it's been such a mess around here for so many years!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sairz...welcome! No we haven't used shade cloth in our veggie patch in the past but probably will this summer. Moving out of town to the farm means the weather gets five to ten degrees hotter in summer on bad days as we are a little away from the coast now, so shade cloth might be needed now.

Lilypily...your spot sounds beautiful! How great to have land but also be near a city. Best of both worlds! We have a lot of wind here too, being on a hill near the coast. It drives me nuts that I can't grow lovely straight trees. Do you??

Beebs...we have quite a few fruit trees but they are neglected and still small, even though they were planted a few years ago. I don't know if they will ever bounce back. We planted them before we lived on the farm so they didn't get enough attention. Don't know whether to start again or how to get them thriving now. Any ideas?

They need to be watered a fair bit when they are little, plus pruning back hard in winter (too late now, you'll have to wait until next year) deffo time to get some fruit tree feed on there though - I just use shop bought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lovely house! You will have so much fun developing your garden and tree belts.

OH would no doubt comment on the sheds and add "nice house" as an afterthought. It's all about the sheds for the Y chromosome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh it's gorgeous lilypily! I'm so envious of your neat, manicured space! We have renovated and extended an old settlers cottage built in 1854 so it's been such a mess around here for so many years!

Ours is a more "rugged" style too, but 1970's, not 1850's, so not sure what the excuse is :P

We have put an automatic irrigation system through our yard with space to add bays for the veggie patch so we'll do this. How do you do yours? I've tried a few different ways of laying the pipes in past gardens but I haven't loved anything I've done so far! Problems: when I use little sprinklers tomato plants don't like wet leaves. When I use drippers it is hard to place them next to every seedling. When I lay irrigation in the bed it gets in the way when I dig up so I think it needs to lay on top and be able to be lifted off. Gaaaah! What do you do??

I used composted horse poo and bedding on my garden one year. I was told to make a pile and lay black plastic over the top. The heat that builds up kills seeds. I did this before putting it in the garden. I didn't have a weed problem so I guess it worked. Like you though, I have also just let weeds come up and sprayed when preparing beds. The problem with this is that you only get one season's weeds and still might get more when the weather changes.

I haven't tried gypsum. Good idea. On the farm our raised beds won't be sitting on soil but mostly on limestone rock. We are on a limestone hill. So it's a bit different and we are currently putting rubble through the whole walled garden area for drainage before laying beds.

When I used limestone blocks I didn't lay mat or anything to prevent grass but the beds were paved in between with salvaged pavers. Some grass did pop up on the edges or between pavers but I could spray it out easily. Weed mat would work wouldn't it?

How many beds and how big an area do you have/will you have?

We are picking up some salvaged limestone blocks from relatives, so will start with one and go from there. Probably internal dimentions of 3.5mx3.5m?

We aren't on town water. We've got a bore, but the current hole is not deep and we don't get high pressure. The long term plan is to sink a second (deeper) bore purely for irrigation and install permant irrigation over the block and gardens, but that is $4000-6000 for the bore/pump (and probably double that for irrigation gear) so not an immediate priority. We will put our first vegie bed near an overhead tank so we can water the vegies using either the hose/sprinklers straight from the bore or gravity fed. The portable sprinklers have been great at keeping the lawns alive over our dry months, so we will just need to include the new garden bed in that routine for now. It's a bit of a pain, but I actually don't mind moving sprinklers - i find tending to the grass and trees is actually quite good for the soul. Soon DS will be able to help and be involved

We are the opposite to you in terms of soil structure - its about 20m down to the rock layer!
    Last edited by clbj; 17-09-2014 at 16:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aaah yes clbj...the cost of setting up water is not fun. I think we spent about sixty grand in total just on getting power and water to this place before we even started restoring!! No wonder it feels as though the house has taken a while to complete.

We have a bore at the bottom of our hill that pumps up to a tank at the top of the hill then gravity feeds to the house. DH decided on this system before we were married. If it were me I'd have spent the money on big rainwater tanks instead! We are in a high rainfall area. However, it is handy not to have to worry about running short and if we want to irrigate paddocks some day it will be useful.

I have a 7x8m walled garden area next to our cottage that is going to be my veggie patch. It will have an L-shaped garden along two walls then 4 rectangular beds with paths in between. I like having a few different beds for rotation (and because I'm a bit OCD with organising things!).

Our big things, like pumpkin, spuds, asparagus will be planted elsewhere on the farm. Can't wait!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Clbj I tots agree about tending to sprinklers and lawns... It's sooooo relaxing. Yes my DH loves the massive shed. We will be putting a fire place and old chairs in it so I can go have a cup of tea with DH in winter.. Bliss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clbj I tots agree about tending to sprinklers and lawns... It's sooooo relaxing. Yes my DH loves the massive shed. We will be putting a fire place and old chairs in it so I can go have a cup of tea with DH in winter.. Bliss
    You should ask me again at the end of summer. Last summer we had a newborn who would lie in his pram/bassinet staring at the leaves whilst I pottered about with outside jobs. This year all bets are off as the toddler trail of activity more closely resembles those tassie devil loony tune cartoons!