+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If all goes to plan we'll be moving to our own plot of paradise within 6 months to start doing our own thing 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    The sleepers sound great. Are you putting in retic or water with a hose/sprinkler?

Our soil is sand over clay for most of the block, so we almost have the opposite problem. Have you tried gypsum to help break up the heavy soils?

I was going to use a mix of soil/sand, composted horse poo and composted stable bedding (sawdust, poo, wee). I'll need to check pH etc and adjust with lime etc. It will also mean weeds (grass, oats) will come up so I might water the new soil in and spray out the first batch of weeds before planting a veggie crop.

Any tips for keeping kikuyu/grass out? Did you spray or put a mat underneath?
    We have put an automatic irrigation system through our yard with space to add bays for the veggie patch so we'll do this. How do you do yours? I've tried a few different ways of laying the pipes in past gardens but I haven't loved anything I've done so far! Problems: when I use little sprinklers tomato plants don't like wet leaves. When I use drippers it is hard to place them next to every seedling. When I lay irrigation in the bed it gets in the way when I dig up so I think it needs to lay on top and be able to be lifted off. Gaaaah! What do you do??

I used composted horse poo and bedding on my garden one year. I was told to make a pile and lay black plastic over the top. The heat that builds up kills seeds. I did this before putting it in the garden. I didn't have a weed problem so I guess it worked. Like you though, I have also just let weeds come up and sprayed when preparing beds. The problem with this is that you only get one season's weeds and still might get more when the weather changes.

I haven't tried gypsum. Good idea. On the farm our raised beds won't be sitting on soil but mostly on limestone rock. We are on a limestone hill. So it's a bit different and we are currently putting rubble through the whole walled garden area for drainage before laying beds.

When I used limestone blocks I didn't lay mat or anything to prevent grass but the beds were paved in between with salvaged pavers. Some grass did pop up on the edges or between pavers but I could spray it out easily. Weed mat would work wouldn't it?

How many beds and how big an area do you have/will you have?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beebs - how fantastic! I'd love to have a specialty focus on our block. Your cider apples etc sound great! We have debated trying so many things. Water is abundant here so we have lots of options, it's just deciding. As for snakes, we just left a BIG lawn area around the house to see them coming. So far, none. When I lived in town I'd have 3 snakes every summer in my yard so it's actually been better here. I think it's the luck of the draw. Dogs have always alerted me so far. I kill little ones but haven't had to deal with a big one alone yet....eek! A friend of ours has tried lots of things and recommends putting the black netting you use for fruit trees laid roughly around the outside of your fence. Snakes get tangled in it and don't get through. I think we'll try this if it becomes a problem.

Pixie-welcome! Tell us about what you are thinking of doing. How exciting to be in the process!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm in the process of building a big veggie garden. Almost 10 metres long so hopefully I'll be growing a lot of veggies soon I have to go order some more wood to build a raised garden bed, going to cut it all and put it all together myself. The area I started with was a mess, it's taken ages just to get it cleaned up and put new shade cloth up. Still not there yet. Speaking of, does anyone else use shade cloth for their veggie garden? I was worried it would block out too much sun, but it's positioned so it will still get sun just not the real harsh afternoon sun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We also live on just under an acre, we have 3 water tanks and plans for a chicken coop. It's slow progress as there's a lot to be cleaned and fixed up inside and out.
    I grew up on a hobby farm, about 13 acres and we had black Angus cows, horses, sheep (not all at the same time). It was a good life growing up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Joining. Just got a hectare on clay soil in high wind area but has views of entire Melbourne city..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Small business probably, but DH will still have to work in his profession And yes to the area - not many places in Oz that are cold climate -and we love the area and climate here.

Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Exciting! Will you look for land near where you are now? Would you set it up as a small business, or strictly in house consumption?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is one of the reasons for sure, no water issues in town here- but we are one of the few towns out this way that never have any water restrictions due to our clever council thinking ahead! The town next from us has been on stage 2 water restrictions for years! Having said that, if we move out we'd need tanks and bore water I think - we are in a pretty dry and drought prone area.

I am interested in your veggie patch watering system - we are about to have 4 big ones put in (as well as the ones I already have) when I can be bothered actually doing it. But I've been mulling over the best way to water - I had thought either drip or little sprinkler sprays - but neither sound good going by your issues?

Anyone else have any fruit trees with a disease on it? I am very sure one of my cherries has something like black rot or fungal rot or something and I want to save it - but not sure what I can do? It is a lovely tree( Gah -bloody neighbours have heaps of fruit trees that have gone to ruin because they don't look after them and now ours are becoming infected! Don't have to worry about your neighbours when you are on acres do you? Sigh!

PS @NAT2561 - you're the one who had twins didn't you? How are they going?

Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Beebs - how fantastic! I'd love to have a specialty focus on our block. Your cider apples etc sound great! We have debated trying so many things. Water is abundant here so we have lots of options, it's just deciding. As for snakes, we just left a BIG lawn area around the house to see them coming. So far, none. When I lived in town I'd have 3 snakes every summer in my yard so it's actually been better here. I think it's the luck of the draw. Dogs have always alerted me so far. I kill little ones but haven't had to deal with a big one alone yet....eek! A friend of ours has tried lots of things and recommends putting the black netting you use for fruit trees laid roughly around the outside of your fence. Snakes get tangled in it and don't get through. I think we'll try this if it becomes a problem.

Pixie-welcome! Tell us about what you are thinking of doing. How exciting to be in the process!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Pixie83  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes beebs. I have identical twin girls. They are 15 months old now, which is why I'm finally getting back into doing some things I love besides being a mum, like veggie gardening! I'm excited to see real life returning after a big year or so. We don't have anyone to babysit so we've been limited in working together to get things done. We have 80 acres of hobby farm so there is always plenty to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sairz...welcome! No we haven't used shade cloth in our veggie patch in the past but probably will this summer. Moving out of town to the farm means the weather gets five to ten degrees hotter in summer on bad days as we are a little away from the coast now, so shade cloth might be needed now.

Lilypily...your spot sounds beautiful! How great to have land but also be near a city. Best of both worlds! We have a lot of wind here too, being on a hill near the coast. It drives me nuts that I can't grow lovely straight trees. Do you??

Beebs...we have quite a few fruit trees but they are neglected and still small, even though they were planted a few years ago. I don't know if they will ever bounce back. We planted them before we lived on the farm so they didn't get enough attention. Don't know whether to start again or how to get them thriving now. Any ideas?