+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We've got a few acres, but only a couple of horses and I don't plan to eat them. This week anyway. My work is linked to agriculture and real farmers, although it's getting to be more and more behind a computer these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is my fantasy I'm but not even close yet. I have a little herb garden that was doing ok for a few months but has recently just died. Whoops.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dream as well! I only have chickens and a small veggie patch on a normal suburban block. Hopefully one day I can buy a few acres and have room to raise all our own food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    S..
    Last edited by NAT2561; 28-08-2014 at 06:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our home block is 200 acres and dedicated to cropping - mostly cereals but the occasional legume crop too. All up DH and his dad farm 8500 acres in western vic.

We live in an old weatherboard (about the same age as yours) that desperately needs renovating but we're saving our money for more land.

No farm animals aside from my 11 chooks and 5 roosters (soon to be 1 rooster).

We're only 10 minutes from our tiny local town and school and 45 from a decent size town.

I'm hoping to get the vegie garden going again soon but wanted to get used to 3 kids first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are all of our rural/hobby/suburban/courtyard farmers going?

It's the best time of year for our area. All the grass is coming into the spring flush and it's green and fresh. Warm days, cool nights. The trees are looking happy. Our young citrus trees are shooting away, although we have been dealing with aphids. I've got a bit of spot spraying of broad leaf weeds to do in the paddocks, just mopping up anything I missed earlier.

We are planning our first raised bed veggie patch. Any tips? Border will be some salvaged limestone blocks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are also in the building phase of our raised veggie beds. I used salvaged limestone blocks at our last house and they worked beautifully. I like the look too. Good choice! This time I we are using untreated hardwood sleepers. More expensive but we need more depth to our beds so they will be two sleepers high.

I'm growing all my veg from seed this year so I have currently got a tom of seedlings ready to go but no garden beds to put them in! So I've been re potting them into larger pots to keep them going.

What are you filling your beds with? We have excellent soil on our farm but I've used it before and it was too heavy. It made everything grow too slowly. Ideas on getting a lovely light soil anyone?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The sleepers sound great. Are you putting in retic or water with a hose/sprinkler?

Our soil is sand over clay for most of the block, so we almost have the opposite problem. Have you tried gypsum to help break up the heavy soils?

I was going to use a mix of soil/sand, composted horse poo and composted stable bedding (sawdust, poo, wee). I'll need to check pH etc and adjust with lime etc. It will also mean weeds (grass, oats) will come up so I might water the new soil in and spray out the first batch of weeds before planting a veggie crop.

Any tips for keeping kikuyu/grass out? Did you spray or put a mat underneath?
    Last edited by clbj; 15-09-2014 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We plan on moving out of town at some point but we don't want anything too big, maybe 4- 8 or so acres and we want to grow cider apples and blueberries. Hubby and his friends make cider every year from local French cider apples - which is why we want to grow our own. And we also want to try blueberry wine/gin etc. A few sheep, goats, chickens. DH grew up in the country and had horses.

We have just bought a chicken coop and the boys will get a chook each at Christmas, we have fruit trees a veggie patch and herb garden. But that is all for this moment in time. Baby steps!

Not sure how I'll go dealing with snakes - I really despise them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    We plan on moving out of town at some point but we don't want anything too big, maybe 4- 8 or so acres and we want to grow cider apples and blueberries. Hubby and his friends make cider every year from local French cider apples - which is why we want to grow our own. And we also want to try blueberry wine/gin etc. A few sheep, goats, chickens. DH grew up in the country and had horses.

We have just bought a chicken coop and the boys will get a chook each at Christmas, we have fruit trees a veggie patch and herb garden. But that is all for this moment in time. Baby steps!

Not sure how I'll go dealing with snakes - I really despise them.
    Exciting! Will you look for land near where you are now? Would you set it up as a small business, or strictly in house consumption?