+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    We have a warmer climate here.
    I'm still new to all this so I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing but I'd planned to do a mix of soil, cow manure, mushroom compost, chicken manure, fresh compost, blood & bone, rock phosphate, and top soil.
    How has everyone else done theirs?
    We filled ours with compost made from horse manure and stable bedding (sawdust, horse wee and manure). So far, so good. But it's really early days and may turn into a disaster yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    No! Only because at the start of the week I read the catalogue more carefully and realised I needed to get entry forms in 2 weeks earlier. I wrongly assumed entry forms went in with the veggies the day before the show. Never mind - I know now for next year. As it turned out, there were 6 entries in the class and our mulberries would have struggled to beat the 2 that won ribbons. Next year I'll start selecting berries a few weeks before and refrigerate the best ones so I have a full punnet of huge juicy ones on the day. Serious stuff!!
    You should our judges measure the slice in the cookery section! Can't believe your entries close that early, ours only close the day before but I suspect we're changing it to a few days before next year - except for cut flowers they'll be left at the day before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How are the gardens going??
    My veg are starting to get going. Not happy with the soil I bought so I'm working to improve it but it will definitely be a long summer keeping everything going.

Does anyone know how to collect seed from silverbeet? Mine has bolted and seems to have a heap of seed at the top but it is green. Do I let it dry off? Not sure how to go about it.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have finally moved into our house but I have discovered is WINDY WINDY WINDY and to be honest I don't go outside. The wind drives me bonkers. I don't know how to make peace with it. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    We have finally moved into our house but I have discovered is WINDY WINDY WINDY and to be honest I don't go outside. The wind drives me bonkers. I don't know how to make peace with it. Any ideas?
    Oh lilypily, I know what you mean. We live halfway up a hill near the coast and the wind drives me crazy too. The best I can offer is to create outdoor areas where you can escape the wind. We have our deck in the most sheltered area but we also have three other sitting areas around the house that can be used if the wind is from a different direction. This at least means I can sit outside somewhere on most days.

My veggie garden is a walled garden to protect it from the wind but I'm discovering that the walls aren't high enough to do this well so I'm thinking of adding brush to the top of the fence to get more height.

Apart from that, rug up if it's cold and head outdoors anyhow. You will get more used to it. Oh....and plant trees to break the wind if you can! Long term solution but you'll be glad later (although our trees don't grow straight with the wind!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks NAT I was thinking I would have to start doing that. Yesterday it finally stopped and we got to go outside!! OMG it was so nice. You have some great ideas and we will be planting out some trees ASAP but yes that will take years! Thanks for the understanding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our garden is finally happening as well. I don't know what I'm doing exactly, but it seems to be somewhat working. The boys got to pick some potatoes yesterday which they helped me turn into a potato salad. Today we picked some mulberries (only a couple as the tree is just a wee little thing!!). Our corn & chillies seem to be growing the best. I was quite late with the silver beet - planting it not long ago, so I'm hoping I didn't miss the boat!?

I've noticed quite a few snails around... do you ladies know the best way to get rid of them!??

Lillypilly - your new place sounds beautiful (previous post), even with all the wind!! Nat has come up with some great ideas for you!! What about building a wooden outdoor screen area. Would look beautiful & lessen the wind??

Sent from my SM-G900F using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crushed egg shells around your seedlings work really well to stop snails, as do used coffee grounds ( approach your local café if you can). I try to do this as much as possible and only use pellets if I have to due to dogs and kids. Works for me!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

TheTimeHasCome  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok guys you can follow my progress as I create hideaways from the wind.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

TheTimeHasCome  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Crushed egg shells around your seedlings work really well to stop snails, as do used coffee grounds ( approach your local café if you can). I try to do this as much as possible and only use pellets if I have to due to dogs and kids. Works for me!

Oh awesome!! Egg shells would be easy! (We have chickens so go through a fair few eggs!). Would I need to do it around each seedling? Or the whole area??

Sent from my SM-G900F using The Bub Hub mobile app