Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by phee83 View Post
    This is great!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    A big day planting!Attachment 61982
    Big day indeed, especially since you have been nurturing them along since seed-hood! Must be great seeing it come together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    I have dug up and prepared the ground, had to dig up a heap of old bricks underneath
    Urgh... That looks like very hard work. Can you salvage the bricks for something useful? That could be the only silver lining I can think off from having to dig them up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I finally have a garden bed ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1414302719.904891.jpg
    Now just need to fill it !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Urgh... That looks like very hard work. Can you salvage the bricks for something useful? That could be the only silver lining I can think off from having to dig them up.
    Yeah I have kept them, they will no doubt get used for something

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted my garden bed a bit higher but I couldn't afford more wood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it matters sairz. At my last house we only had them low. I only made mine high this time because they are sitting on straight limestone, not soil underneath, so they needed more depth. Exciting times now! What will you fill it with? We bought a soil mix but I haven't been thrilled with it. I bought from the same company last time and it was great but they changed their mix. Too much sand and seaweed this time so its too light. The good need us that they are bringing me some peat for free to give it a bit of weight. Hopefully its better.

You're doing a great job sairz. That sheltered area looks brilliant for growing. What is your climate like? We're down south in a cool climate.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Wowee! That's terrific.

I nominate you as the grand pumba domestic goddess of this group.

Our local show is this weekend. I'm thinking of entering "mulberries - 1 punnet". Our tree is peaking now so hopefully there is still some good ones there on Thursday. Any tips on how competition mulberries should be presented? I'll have to buy a punnet if strawberries to get the punnet container!
    I'm so sorry, I only just saw this. Did you end up entering?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    I don't think it matters sairz. At my last house we only had them low. I only made mine high this time because they are sitting on straight limestone, not soil underneath, so they needed more depth. Exciting times now! What will you fill it with? We bought a soil mix but I haven't been thrilled with it. I bought from the same company last time and it was great but they changed their mix. Too much sand and seaweed this time so its too light. The good need us that they are bringing me some peat for free to give it a bit of weight. Hopefully its better.

You're doing a great job sairz. That sheltered area looks brilliant for growing. What is your climate like? We're down south in a cool climate.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    We have a warmer climate here.
    I'm still new to all this so I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing but I'd planned to do a mix of soil, cow manure, mushroom compost, chicken manure, fresh compost, blood & bone, rock phosphate, and top soil.
    How has everyone else done theirs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm so sorry, I only just saw this. Did you end up entering?
    No! Only because at the start of the week I read the catalogue more carefully and realised I needed to get entry forms in 2 weeks earlier. I wrongly assumed entry forms went in with the veggies the day before the show. Never mind - I know now for next year. As it turned out, there were 6 entries in the class and our mulberries would have struggled to beat the 2 that won ribbons. Next year I'll start selecting berries a few weeks before and refrigerate the best ones so I have a full punnet of huge juicy ones on the day. Serious stuff!!