+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breech baby: what did you do to turn it?

Hi everyone not sure if this is the right place for this so feel free to move it mods.
    I'm currently 33weeks. I had an ultrasound last week to check my placenta position as it had previously been low. Placenta has moved up (yay) but now my baby is breech. I had a midwife appointment yesterday and my midwives (going through caseload at local public tertiary hospo) recommended acupuncture, moxibustion and to check out spinning babies website. I looked at spinning babies and will try some of the inversions, swimming etc; but I'm kind of sceptical about acupuncture and moxibustion. Has anyone tried it? Did it work? Did you try something else that worked? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS 4 was Breech at 37 weeks! I was booked in for a ECV and was going to do everything possible to avoid it. I tried the exercises on the Spinning Babies website and by some miracle he turned around. The Doctors were very surprised as they are so big at 37 weeks and turning around in that tiny space is quite a task.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first and second were both breech around 30/31w check ups... 2nd managed to turn by 33w check up, first didn't and so I had moxibustion which did turn bub. My OB actually suggested the moxibustion to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an ECV turn. It was uncomfortable but painless and she was turned in under a minute! It was amazing :-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did everything on the Spinning babies website, sat up straight all the time, didn't slouch or recline on the lounge. If I sat in the chair I sat with the chair backwards. I cleaned the floor on my hands and knees as opposed to bending over etc. I also did pre-natal yoga with baby no 2 and baby no 3 I did aqua natal classes and thankfully both turned, as baby number one was breech which resulted in a c/s and I didn't do or know anything about how to try and help a baby to turn.

Not saying any or all of the above will turn a breech bub, but I know for me it helped me keep supple and good posture which is supposed to help with optimal positioning. I have heard good things about ECV as well, though I haven't personally tried it. You just need to find a Doctor that is trained in ECV.

All the best!
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 22-08-2014 at 12:11. Reason: baby brain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would find a doctor not a chiro that is trained in ECV. Chiro's aren't real doctors and won't be able to do anything to help bub if the ECV goes pear shaped. Many OB's will do ecv's at hospital and tell you to pack an oven right bag just incase they have to deliver bub early.

- to answer your original question my first was breech from 28 weeks. I did all the stick-your-bum-in-the-air style exercises and nothing worked. I couldn't try ECV as I had an anterior placenta and not much fluid. So csec it was. Ds2 was breech from around the same time (28 weeks) until the very end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, a Doctor! I still have baby brain and wrote Chiro as I was thinking of people who use Chiros to turn a baby which I wouldn't do.

When my first baby was a stubborn breech (and didn't turn up until her birth) only two Obs at my particular Hospital were trained in turning babies, so if you're thinking of going down that route, make sure the Obs are obviously qualified and confident with turning babies.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (22-08-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm normally very straight down the line with health/medical stuff but I have heard v good things about moxibuston and started to look into it when the MW thought DD was transverse. I figured it was non-invasive so what's the harm? I was doing everything I could to have a natural, intervention free birth which was not going to be the case if baby was transverse.

(Turns out she was in perfect position, confirmed by an US so I didn't need to do anything.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I found a local midwives clinic that does moxibustion and acupuncture so I might check it out, as well as inversion and swimming. My midwife told me that there is a consultant who does breech vb's so if baby hasn't turned she would get me to see him, which is exciting. I think I'm way too excited by the thought of giving birth, lol.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Snowman For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-08-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2nd bub was transverse. I can't remember exactly when I saw my Chiro, 30-something weeks, who said my hips were uneven (this would happen pre-preg as well) so he adjusted my hips. I had an appt 2 days after the 2nd visit with the chiro and bub was head down.

Generally when people refer to chiro helping to get bub in position they are taking about adjustments to mum's hips or lower spine that can help make more space for bub to move themselves. If a chiro is offering to 'move' bub ECV style I would run away, run very fast!