+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Real estate Q!!

We are renting And our hot water service doesn't work for all of us (I can't even fill the bath for kids!!) if hubby showers then I can't. We asked real estate to fix it and he's returned And said 'because they did a new fence the owner doesn't want too'.

Is there anyway I can get out of our lease to move etc? We also have a broken oven andno smoke alarms!! (I filled this in on that form you tick and sign both parties) I've never rented before so I feel a bit clueless.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In NSW it's illegal not to have smoke alarms so check for your state - an oven is considered an emergency repair so also must be fixed legally - as for hot water is it the tank is too small? Have you checked it's not on an off peak timer ?
    With the first 2 things the tribunal would make the landlord fix them so just tell the agent you want to break the lease as there are a few things that are illegal and it will be cheaper for the owner to let you go without penalty than go to tribunal as you will also claim compensation !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would call the RTA and get advice about this.

I think they'll tell you to give your real estate agent/landlord a "notice to remedy breach" and they have like 7 days to rectify the issue. If they fail to fix the problems multiple times, I think you then have grounds to break the lease without ramifications.

For them to not wanting to fix the hot water is disgraceful.

I hope this helps, but I'd talk to the RTA first to be sure.

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    In NSW it's illegal not to have smoke alarms so check for your state - an oven is considered an emergency repair so also must be fixed legally - as for hot water is it the tank is too small? Have you checked it's not on an off peak timer ?
    With the first 2 things the tribunal would make the landlord fix them so just tell the agent you want to break the lease as there are a few things that are illegal and it will be cheaper for the owner to let you go without penalty than go to tribunal as you will also claim compensation !
    It's too small his first response was his family showered ok so why can't we 😳 I just relieved a form 9? Entry form for valuation of property I asked if they were selling the agent said oh I don't think so.. So I will say that tomorrow thanks heaps!! Also hubby is plumber and said it's doing everything fine etc but just doesn't service the people of property. It's a queenslander and I think what's happened is there's a 'tradie' shower down stairs so when the big one broke they just hooked the small one up hope I'm making sense 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm nearly 100% they must have smoke detectors ... it's illegal for them not to have them installed and regally checked
    They should replace the hot water the ridiculous as with the kitchen it's a immediate fix item ...

I'd be contacting RTA and leaving the property

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    You certainly must have working Smoke Alarms in Rental properties in Qld. I would also call the RTA about the hot water system. Surely it needs to be fit for purpose and you need be able to live comfortably.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah we are renting & have the same issue with hot water, but our house is less than 5 years old. If someone is in the shower, we cant get hot water out of any other taps in the house. If we use hot water, his shower goes cold.

I'm pretty sure because you technically do have access to hot water & the system is working, I don't think it goes under emergency faults. Annoying hey!

DF gets home from work and jumps straight in the shower as I'm trying to get hot water into a pot to steam veggies every night! I have to either wait or for him to stop his shower for 20 seconds so I can get hot water. The same happens with shower/bath/washing machine filling up/dishwasher filling up etc, but there's not much you can do about it.

As for the broken oven, how is it broken? not heating up? gas burners not working? cracked glass?

Smoke alarms must be installed correctly & in working order. It's your responsibility to put new batteries in though.

Welcome to the world of renting, at the whim of cheap landlords
    Last edited by Pusheen The Cat; 22-08-2014 at 09:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend recently became a land lord and she found out the agent was lying - there was all this stuff that needed to be fixed and the agent never told her and just lied to the renter. Laziness because they make no extra money for the "extra" work of arranging to get stuff fixed. It's us terrible.

Whatever is happening - hope you get it fixed soon or move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If at all possible, get in contact with the owner directly. Whenever I have a problem and tell the real estate agent, nothing gets done. They say they have emailed the owner and left messages with him but have had no response. I know that's bs because when I call him directly he is over here that day sorting the issue out and says he has heard nothing from the agent. He is so nice and tells me to not bother telling the real estate agent when there is an issue as they don't ever let him know. Tells me just to call him directly.
    Good luck getting things sorted!
    Last edited by twolittlemunchkins; 22-08-2014 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Duck View Post
    My friend recently became a land lord and she found out the agent was lying - there was all this stuff that needed to be fixed and the agent never told her and just lied to the renter.
    Quote Originally Posted by twolittlemunchkins View Post
    If at all possible, get in contact with the owner directly. Whenever I have a problem and tell the real estate agent, nothing gets done.
    At the risk of being repetitive, property managers are often completely hopeless compared to dealing with the landlord directly. I'm a landlord and have recently sacked my managers after finding that one of our tenants weren't able to use their bathroom for 4 months and nobody ever told me!

As landlords, we have to pay the property manager a percentage of your rent (normally around 7%) so if the PM isn't doing their job, it really is helpful if the tenant lets us know. Otherwise we're paying for nothing and we never find out!