+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Staph infections reoccurring through family. PLEASE help.

My step daughter (8) has had a history spanning 2 years of what I now know is staph infections. Impetigo, sties (apparently they are caused by the same bug) and pusey infections. Her brother who is six is also suffering from outbreaks of the same thing.

About 6 months ago, I suffered from the worst case of boils I have ever experienced. It was near on impossible to do daily chores. I went to the doctor and got bactroban, an antibiotic that goes up the nose and it cleared for a while. My own baby has had 2 staph infections under her nose because the infection just keeps getting brought back into our house.

My step daughter has been going to school and coming here with open oozing staph sores on her arms and legs and so has my SS.

The bio mum and us have a good relationship but she is very airy fairy and I just don’t think she understands how severe this is. She has gone to the doctor and the advice is ‘it’s all normal childhood stuff’. I don’t really agree with that sentiment. I am getting really down it all because the boils leave these horrible purple scars that don’t seem to go.

I don’t know what the point of this is. I feel like leaving my own home with my LO until this is sorted and the cycle of the bug is broken but I really don’t have many options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ouch I suffered from boils in my late teens and they stopped reoccuring after I started taking charcoal tablets and improved my diet in conjunction with antibiotics. My sister is now suffering from them much worse than I was and nothing has helped her yet (both traditional medicine and homeopathy used) and she has an antibiotic resistant strain so I would love to hear some things too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This sounds really stressful. How do you know they are staph? Staph lives on our skin, everyone's, it's always there. My DS has eczema and the scratching can cause staph rashes. He has bleach baths as needed and it clears it up straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you could share this info with her saying dr suggested caregivers read about it;

http://m.kidshealth.org/parent/infec...ylococcus.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. The doctor is saying it is staph (on myself, the kids and my baby).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know what to tell you, but I do know that nearly 5 years ago my 6 week old baby got Impetigo and it went through the family. We finally got rid of it overall, except for me...nearly 5 years on and I am still getting impetigo break outs. It's not too severe, because I get one or two and they remain small and eventually go away on their own after a couple of weeks if I have no bactroban ointment. No one else in my family gets them, they actually don't appear to be contagious at all to anybody anymore.
    I currently have one that's really obvious so went to the doctor to get some more ointment and he advised that I wash myself in an antibacterial wash every day to try and reduce the amount of bacteria on my body. He did say we could swab it if it becomes problematic to see if there's anything more going on but that was it.
    Perhaps you could take your step children to the doctor yourself for swabs and advice. I'm sorry it's circling your family, and sorry if it's affecting you so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I don't know what to tell you, but I do know that nearly 5 years ago my 6 week old baby got Impetigo and it went through the family. We finally got rid of it overall, except for me...nearly 5 years on and I am still getting impetigo break outs. It's not too severe, because I get one or two and they remain small and eventually go away on their own after a couple of weeks if I have no bactroban ointment. No one else in my family gets them, they actually don't appear to be contagious at all to anybody anymore.
    I currently have one that's really obvious so went to the doctor to get some more ointment and he advised that I wash myself in an antibacterial wash every day to try and reduce the amount of bacteria on my body. He did say we could swab it if it becomes problematic to see if there's anything more going on but that was it.
    Perhaps you could take your step children to the doctor yourself for swabs and advice. I'm sorry it's circling your family, and sorry if it's affecting you so much.
    Thanks for the advice and kind words. Just as a matter of interest, how long do you use the bactroban for? I have a tube of it from a few months back and another boil starting up so thought I'd use it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by acerbaby View Post
    Thanks for the advice and kind words. Just as a matter of interest, how long do you use the bactroban for? I have a tube of it from a few months back and another boil starting up so thought I'd use it again.
    Yeah I've used it after a few months and it has worked. I just use it until the tube runs out! I often get an outbreak of impetigo inside my nose (I only know because it hurts and when I look there's a sore up in my nostril, but obviously I am not cutting myself up inside my nose) and I get mouth ulcers whenever I get run down which can take up to three weeks to go away, but if I use bactroban on them they go within a couple of days, so clearly the same bacteria.
    I did get a boil in Feb and I actually never made the connection so thank you. My usual GP thought the boil was probably related to a cystic type of acne as I've had a small cystic acne break out on my chin, but they were close to clearing up when I eventually got to see her...however they're still at the 'almost cleared up' stage and it's been several weeks, so I think I might try the bactroban and see if that gets rid of it...perhaps it's a staph thing on my chin, and not a cystic acne at all.

I wish I could tell you that it was something we battled with and then it went away, which it did for my children after about 6 months of cycling, but as it's close on 5 years for me now it's clearly not gone away for me. I don't know if it ever will...I used to get this red rash around the side of my nose that was always treated as a staph infection. That started in my teen years and came every couple of years. I'm now in my early 30's. I don't suffer anywhere near as severe as your family though, and never have. I hope you can get on top of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Some people are more prone to the serious outbreaks of it, 2 of my sons had a very bad case of staph at the begining of the year, DS3's was extremely bad and he was actually almost hospitalised because they thought it was antibiotic resistant, it took well over a month for his poor face to clear up despite creams and antibiotics and disinfecting absolutely everything.

Few things we were told:

Each shower use a different washer/washcloth
    Fresh towel after each bath/shower
    We changed sheets daily.
    Used canasten washing liquid
    Keep clean and dry

It all started with my oldest getting a papercut between his fingers and within a week almost half of his hand was an oozy infected sore. I did absolutely everything the dr told me, I was so clean and fixated on cleaning everything I drove my husband crazy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our doctor advised exactly what peanutmonkey has said. Shower daily using a different towel every time & washing bedding daily. Another one is cleaning under the nails daily and always keeping them short.