+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    It is funny how two people can read teh same article and get very different things from it. From reading that I get two things - The author is saying Yes it is possible that the study showed a higher risk for african american boys but the CDC surely couldn't possibly have meant to cover it up!! And the author seems to be minimizing the effects, that it's 'just' 'Autism' it's not like it's syphilis or anything. I got absolutely nothing from that apart from damage control. He even had the audacity to say all those 'white parents' shouldn't even be jumping up and down about it because it's not like it affects their children!!!

What if it is true!

I get that many anti vaxxers are so blind to information that they will discount information without thought, but can't that also be said to be true of the pro-vax movement?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyone can fudge anything. I'm just not going to condemn the CDC on an article doing the rounds via the anti vax movement.

Also, ASD is not like Syphilis, or measles, or pneumonia, or any other terrible VPD out there. ASD is a hardwiring of the brain difference - and you are you or anyone else to say that it is wrong? If you talk to the ASD community - the overwhelming majority are happy being ASD. Maybe it's us NTs who need to adjust our thinking about autism?

Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    It is funny how two people can read teh same article and get very different things from it. From reading that I get two things - The author is saying Yes it is possible that the study showed a higher risk for african american boys but the CDC surely couldn't possibly have meant to cover it up!! And the author seems to be minimizing the effects, that it's 'just' 'Autism' it's not like it's syphilis or anything. I got absolutely nothing from that apart from damage control. He even had the audacity to say all those 'white parents' shouldn't even be jumping up and down about it because it's not like it affects their children!!!

What if it is true!

I get that many anti vaxxers are so blind to information that they will discount information without thought, but can't that also be said to be true of the pro-vax movement?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (28-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Anyone can fudge anything. I'm just not going to condemn the CDC on an article doing the rounds via the anti vax movement.

Also, ASD is not like Syphilis, or measles, or pneumonia, or any other terrible VPD out there. ASD is a hardwiring of the brain difference - and you are you or anyone else to say that it is wrong? If you talk to the ASD community - the overwhelming majority are happy being ASD. Maybe it's us NTs who need to adjust our thinking about autism?
    I work with children on the spectrum every day and I know the impact it has on their families. I know they love their children just the way they are and I know children on the spectrum are amazing and are incredible individuals. But I also know the impact it has for the rest of that child's life and the incredible stress it can put people through. I know how poorly equipped many school systems are for these children and I think if there is some way we make that easier we should.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work with children on the spectrum every day and I know the impact it has on their families. I know they love their children just the way they are and I know children on the spectrum are amazing and are incredible individuals. But I also know the impact it has for the rest of that child's life and the incredible stress it can put people through. I know how poorly equipped many school systems are for these children and I think if there is some way we make that easier we should.
    I think you will find that @beebs has an idea what it's like

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, and denying vaccines to these kids is only compounding the problem, not helping it. If you really wanted better for these kids, you wouldn't be so anti vax. And that is the absolute truth and scientific proof of the matter.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-08-2014),callmedragon22  (28-08-2014),HappyBovinexx  (28-08-2014),littlelove  (28-08-2014),MsViking  (28-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Statement released by William Thompson - click on link for full statement

My name is William Thompson. I am a Senior Scientist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, where I have worked since 1998.

I regret that my coauthors and I omitted statistically significant information in our 2004 article published in the journal Pediatrics. The omitted data suggested that African American males who received the MMR vaccine before age 36 months were at increased risk for autism. Decisions were made regarding which findings to report after the data were collected, and I believe that the final study protocol was not followed.

I want to be absolutely clear that I believe vaccines have saved and continue to save countless lives. I would never suggest that any parent avoid vaccinating children of any race. Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and the risks associated with their administration are vastly outweighed by their individual and societal benefits.

My concern has been the decision to omit relevant findings in a particular study for a particular sub­ group for a particular vaccine. There have always been recognized risks for vaccination and I believe it is the responsibility of the CDC to properly convey the risks associated with receipt of those vaccines.

http://www.morganverkamp.com/august-...ne-and-autism/

I can somewhat understand why they omitted the data in the first instance, these preliminary findings of a an increased risk in african american boys needed to be explored further and releasing the information may have caused unnecessary panic. A wise but ethical stance may have been to release the 'altered' report and do further studies to refute or confirm the findings. But to sit on this for 10 years and do nothing.....................

I actually don't class myself as anti vax, I can see that they have their place, but I think it is an imperfect system and needs transparent studies and findings. I have made my decisions for my child with his best interests at heart and to say that I don't want better for all children is a very ignorant statement.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Harriet  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did not say that you didn't want better for all children, I said if you wanted better for these children...there is a difference. I stand by what I say, people can't be so vehemently anti vax (and I am NOT talking about you specially) I mean anti vaxxers in general - but on the other hand claim to care about the welfare and health of people. It is a contradiction.

Statement released by William Thompson - click on link for full statement

http://www.morganverkamp.com/august-...ne-and-autism/

I can somewhat understand why they omitted the data in the first instance, these preliminary findings of a an increased risk in african american boys needed to be explored further and releasing the information may have caused unnecessary panic. A wise but ethical stance may have been to release the 'altered' report and do further studies to refute or confirm the findings. But to sit on this for 10 years and do nothing.....................

I actually don't class myself as anti vax, I can see that they have their place, but I think it is an imperfect system and needs transparent studies and findings. I have made my decisions for my child with his best interests at heart and to say that I don't want better for all children is a very ignorant statement.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-08-2014),Atropos  (29-08-2014),kezanazz  (29-08-2014),Purple Lily  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I did not say that you didn't want better for all children, I said if you wanted better for these children...there is a difference. I stand by what I say, people can't be so vehemently anti vax (and I am NOT talking about you specially) I mean anti vaxxers in general - but on the other hand claim to care about the welfare and health of people. It is a contradiction.
    I disagree I think people do it because they do care, that's the whole point, they care about the effect these things have on developing bodies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I disagree I think people do it because they do care, that's the whole point, they care about the effect these things have on developing bodies.
    By making claims that are in direct contradiction to scientific evidence that has been demonstrated over and over?
    Take the AVN- the most anti vax group in Australia. Their leader at the time told me SIDS was caused by vaccines. Their website is full if misinformation and unproven scaremongering. How is this showing they care?

I think antivaxxers are a result of manipulative conspiracy theorists who have enough charisma to gain followers. It spreads from there.
    Last edited by Atropos; 29-08-2014 at 22:08.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-08-2014),beebs  (30-08-2014),btmacxxx  (30-08-2014),cheekychook  (29-08-2014),HappyBovinexx  (29-08-2014),lilypily  (29-08-2014),littlelove  (30-08-2014),MsViking  (30-08-2014),oozzle  (30-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (29-08-2014),snowqu33n  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

I think antivaxxers are a result of manipulative conspiracy theorists who have enough charisma to gain followers. It spreads from there.
    This... Totally. It just scares me to think people think they have done their own research when in fact they haven't even come close

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-08-2014),beebs  (30-08-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast