+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    oh @anewme that is terrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I so wish my kids had teachers like you guys.

One teacher that has 2 of kids over 3 years had the attitude that homework must come first and there was never a reason not to do. Even if you were sick it expected that you found out what was given and do it. One day I picked my kids up from school went straight to the ed at the hospital and we didn't leave until after midnight. She was of the mind set that they should have asked the nurse for a pencil because she wouldn't accept it if it was in pen. He was in gr2. She didn't let him attend the end of term pizza party because of it.
    What a bish!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I just a balance my experience with teachers with some good stories. If you added together all my kids years at school so far, it would 39 years (dd1 12, d's1 10 etc)

When dd1 got Ross river fever her teacher allowed her to attend for just 1 lesson if that is all she could manage that day. She was absolutely fantastic. She made sure she didn't get any grade as she knew it devastate her not to get A's.

Currently ds1 special needs teacher has gone way beyond what you would expect for her. For 2 years now she has given him a hour and half hours every week after school helping him with his asignments. This on top of the 2 hours in school that she takes him out of class to work one on one with him. If he having a really bad time he gets more time. She happily helps him in lunch times and after school on other days if he asks for help. With this help he has gone from straight d's to getting some c's. Honestly I love the woman and her little team. They have changed ds1 world and in doing so they have changed mine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    thats the other thing @harvs that I really agree with.

Homework should be EASY for them. It should be something the child can confidently and easily do on their own ... so its important that its set at the right level for each child.

Building confidence in being able to do the work on their own without assistance is so incredibly important.
    I agree with this. So it's like revision of information they already know. Ie solidifying their understanding, no trying to understand new stuff

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just a question those anti homework. How will your kids cope in high school when they need to do 2-4hrs per day of homework/assignments? I was of the opinion that primary school homework was there to get kids used to sitting down every evening to study. Sort of habit making.

I grew up in India and we had heaps of homework, exams and assessments from year 1. It was normal for me to sit down 1-2hrs every day in the evening with homework. After we moved here in yr4 My parents used to make us sit done every evening 5-6pm for homework and if we didn't have homework mum set us other work to do. Even in holidays we had reading/writing/maths to do every morning for 1-2hrs right till yr 8/9 when we started part time work.

I guess I'm curious as to how kids cope with the extra workload of middle/high school if they aren't used to some outside school study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    I think reading every night is essential. I don't consider this 'homework' but more a part of being a good parent independent of school. I think some parents aren't aware of the need to establish a reading habit/setting an example due to their own upbringing. For this reason I think it's good to set for homework.

Sight words, times tables etc are also good to practice at home in a one on one environment.

Other than that I think it's unnecessary.

I actually think it's unnecessary in high school other than writing assignments. There's lots of pressure on kids to earn a wage while studying, there needs to be time for a social life and hobbies at that age. Very important and homework just gets in the way.
    I totallt agree that reading every day is Essential. However I think it should be fun for the kids too so they build an enjoyment for books. I also think different types of books should be set for home readers, fiction, non fiction, even things like reading something in an appropriate magazine or in the newspaper. Teach an appreciation for reading and learning on a whole rather than just home reader books.

E.T.A - I do already do all of the above with my kids and we go to the library every week but its sad that so many children are missing out on how fantastic reading is. And 40 minutes of reading with a 6yr old whose been at school all day and just wants to run around and play...is hard haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-08-2014),FearlessLeader  (21-08-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I was always a strong advocate of homework until I actually had a child in school and learned to appreciate that it can be a real PITA! DS has weekly homework but some days he will be doing something like constructing lego in his room with DD and I figure that what he is doing is such a beneficial activity that I'm reluctant to stop him to make him do his homework. He's being creative with lego (ie, not just following instructions but designing and building things using his imagination), spending quality time with his little sister, learning basic construction and engineering as well as cooperation and working together. Most importantly they are out of my way!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (21-08-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm really not a fan of enforced reading as homework. Best way to kill a love of reading IMO. Especially since most 'readers' are fecking awful. I'd much rather spend 5 minutes having my child practice reading and the other 25 minutes reading an amazing novel to them that sparks a love of stories.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

beancounter  (21-08-2014),Mama Mirabelle  (21-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (21-08-2014),PomPoms  (21-08-2014),Stretched  (21-08-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Just a question those anti homework. How will your kids cope in high school when they need to do 2-4hrs per day of homework/assignments? I was of the opinion that primary school homework was there to get kids used to sitting down every evening to study. Sort of habit making.

I grew up in India and we had heaps of homework, exams and assessments from year 1. It was normal for me to sit down 1-2hrs every day in the evening with homework. After we moved here in yr4 My parents used to make us sit done every evening 5-6pm for homework and if we didn't have homework mum set us other work to do. Even in holidays we had reading/writing/maths to do every morning for 1-2hrs right till yr 8/9 when we started part time work.

I guess I'm curious as to how kids cope with the extra workload of middle/high school if they aren't used to some outside school study.
    I really didn't have much homework in primary school, I remember we usually had a project to do over the holidays and that was pretty much it. By high school I was getting maybe 30-60 minutes a day in the early years, 60-120 in the middle years and up to 4 hours during VCE. So you still worked up to those long hours, but not from such a young age. We all seemed to cope fine? Most of us wouldn't have had lots of homework in primary school and many excelled at my high school.

I think the other thing to remember (just in general, not aimed at you particularly R&A) is that learning all day is incredibly taxing. I think we forget that when we're not studying full time. I know that now as an adult if I had to do full days of lectures or learning in some other way for weeks and weeks on end it would be really draining- I've done a few multiple day workshops that went 9-5 over a few days and it was bloody exhausting. So to me, a 9-3 day for a little person is more than enough.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (21-08-2014),PomPoms  (21-08-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    My DD learned to read very early, so was ahead of the readers every year.

As a result she has always simply read her own books. Teacher was always happy as long as she was reading every night.

Which was awesome as it has meant she has developed her love of reading.

She hated reading the readers ...