+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is homework beneficial?

Well, as you may have heard on the news today a study has come to the conclusion that homework is of no benefit to primary school students.

What is your opinion or experience? (This is a civil discussion and sharing time - if something inappropriate is written I will ask for the thread to be closed)

My opinion - Both as a parent and a teacher I have seen how relevant and ability-appropriate exercises have benefited children who have:

a) needed extra time spent on concepts in order to learn them, ie. phonics
    b) spent a little extra time at home learning the week's spelling words
    c) practiced the maths concepts we learnt the week before in class
    d) taken the time to learn the times tables

In my experience there is not enough time in class to learn the times tables in its entirety...unless your child is in the top maths class where most concepts are picked up quickly anyway. When we grew up we learned the majority of our tables at home as part of our homework. Similar with spelling, but was wondering if less emphasis is now placed on spelling by society due to devices with spell check now.

I also agree with not giving kids too much homework - a little bit of reading, some spelling, times tables and maths where necessary. For young kids - 20 mins, no more and only 3-4 days a week. Kids need time to get out and play and be kids too.

What gets my goat...when lazy teachers photocopy a 'homework' book with generic English (spelling, grammar) and maths exercises that are not leveled at the child's ability and have nothing to do with reinforcing what they have learnt in class or focus on 'essential' concepts that need the extra time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    A bit of both.
    Targeted to that child not just the while class and making sure it is realistic in the amount for that child. Understanding that it can't always be done. Not depriving a child because they couldn't do it. Than it can be beneficial.

Having a task that takes 2 to 4 hrs to do every night. Having a reward system that singles out kids that for some reason can't finish it or even do it.
    Very harmful. My pet hate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a formed opinion on this but i am interested as DD will start school soon. Subbing for some interesting discussion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Often teacher don't realize that struggling kids also have homework from their speech therapy, occupational therapy, physio and various other medical people. Too add to school homework. If they are really struggling it can bury them in so much overload that their anxiety and depression kick in at a much earlier age.

Sorry I have just a hour comforting a mum and helping make a plan to see the school as her son Dr said he needs to reduce his stress and anxiety as it causing trouble with his heart. He spends 4 hours a night doing homework.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 21-08-2014 at 12:40.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm no expert but I kind of agree with the study! I'm sure if a kid is struggling though it might help with certain areas.

Interestingly, my mum said she rarely did my reader with me in primary school, and yet English was my best subject and spelling/grammar is one of my strengths. Go figure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing.
    The school that we're planning on sending our children to are trialling no homework this year. Currently, I think it's great as I would rather use out of school hours to encourage learning more about each child's specific interests that aren't part of the curriculum or focusing on areas that they may be struggling with, rather than standardised homework.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that they should get some homework whether it's spelling or reading. My son who is on par level of grade 2 struggles with time management at school and sometimes doesn't complete things so him having the work at home helps him too. I also think it gives parents an idea of where their kids are at in school and being able to speak to teachers etc if they have concerns and not wait until it's too late to do something about it.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I think it is beneficial ...

it CAN teach them all kinds of stuff - provided it is done in the right manner.

As you say
    - not excessive amounts
    - with enough time (so weekly homework assignments rather than due the next day)
    - concentrate on the basics (reading, writing, spelling, maths)
    - no punishment if its not done EVERY week (but if its regularly not done, then a chat with the parents rather than punishing the kid)

At my school my DD (who is grade 3) gets homework for the week - which is due on Mondays.
    - 15 minutes reading every night (her choice of book)
    - 3 x times tables (whichever ones are set so maybe 3's 4's and 6's)
    - 1 spelling sheet (about 1-20 words) which she must do 3 times for the week
    - 1 research assignment (this term they are doing animals, so she chooses and animal and must write 5 facts about that animal from her research. Essentially, they bring up wiki and find 5 facts from that to put in point form)

She usually does it in parts over 2 or 3 nights as we have acitivities the other nights.

If its not all done there isnt a big thing about it ... but if you dont do it 2 weeks in a row you have to do some instead of free time

They get points for their group for a group prize if everyone has done their homework

It works pretty well - and does teach them about time management and to do work at home. It also helps me as the parent work out where she is up to at school, and helping her to concentrate on areas she needs more help on, or seeing what she enjoys.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I struggle with this too, while our school is very individually focused ie my children are learning at their own pace within small groups I find the homework a bit much especially in the pre-primary class (year before yr 1) he is currently doing 5 sight words written 3 times, 2 different books, flashcards of sight words. My oldest who is in yr 1 is doing 10 words- look, cover, write, check and 1 book. It's a lot and I feel guilty pulling them away from play to do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Often teacher don't realize that struggling kids also have homework from their speech therapy, occupational therapy, physio and various other medical people. Too add to school homework. If they are really struggling it can bury them in so much overload that their anxiety and depression kick in at a much earlier age.

Sorry I have just a hour comforting a mum and helping make a plan to see the school as her son Dr said he needs to reduce his stress and anxiety as it causing trouble with his heart. He spends 4 hours a night doing homework.