+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Personally, I could never justify the money.
    Dh and I are foodies and make everything from scratch. We have found our easy recipes and methods over the years and that suits our family lifestyle fine.
    We enjoy the process of making a meal come together and seeing every step.
    I personally have never felt the need for a thermomix. I don't understand them much, so call me ignorant or whatever but I would not sacrifice the cooking experience over some expensive piece of ugly appliance (that some genius who coral wanted the idea and sucked their audience in, is living the dream!) over my cast iron crock pots stained with flavours.....for anything!

Personal opinion, no attack intended.
    I still make everything from scratch and have a very satisfying "cooking experience". Do you grind your own flours, icing sugar, nut meals and butters? I do. Your own spice blends? I do. I can make bread dough and have it proving, including milling the flour, in under 10 mins.
    I love my thermo. It was money well spent for us. I know they're not for everyone, that's cool. I don't understand the antagonism/derision though. Your post is one example- " I don't need one, I won't sacrifice my cooking experience, it's ugly, someone is making lots of money off them and sucking people in- but I don't understand them much!" If you don't want one, that's totally fine. Just because others do it doesn't mean they were sucked in, wasted their money or miss out on some "cooking experience"- you can actually just say it's not something you own or are thinking about buying without the negativity towards others who feel differently.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (10-09-2014),kezanazz  (09-09-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-09-2014),summastarlet  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Personally, I could never justify the money.
    Dh and I are foodies and make everything from scratch. We have found our easy recipes and methods over the years and that suits our family lifestyle fine.
    We enjoy the process of making a meal come together and seeing every step.
    I personally have never felt the need for a thermomix. I don't understand them much, so call me ignorant or whatever but I would not sacrifice the cooking experience over some expensive piece of ugly appliance (that some genius who coral wanted the idea and sucked their audience in, is living the dream!) over my cast iron crock pots stained with flavours.....for anything!

Personal opinion, no attack intended.
    I agree. But for me I have a need for both in my life at this stage.

ETA I hadn't read the bit about being "sucked in". Not sure how that isn't a personal attack but anyway.

There are lots of things I make for my kids that have zero cooking interest to me. Like macaroni cheese, or boiled eggs. I can chuck it all in and spend the time playing with my kids while it cooks.

However for other meals I still cook the old way but maybe do sauces in the thermo at the same time.

Why does it matter so much if people love their thermomix? I love mine so much I'm going to upgrade to the new model as soon as I can.
    Last edited by Sonja; 09-09-2014 at 21:12.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I still make everything from scratch and have a very satisfying "cooking experience". Do you grind your own flours, icing sugar, nut meals and butters? I do. Your own spice blends? I do. I can make bread dough and have it proving, including milling the flour, in under 10 mins.
    I love my thermo. It was money well spent for us. I know they're not for everyone, that's cool. I don't understand the antagonism/derision though. Your post is one example- " I don't need one, I won't sacrifice my cooking experience, it's ugly, someone is making lots of money off them and sucking people in- but I don't understand them much!" If you don't want one, that's totally fine. Just because others do it doesn't mean they were sucked in, wasted their money or miss out on some "cooking experience"- you can actually just say it's not something you own or are thinking about buying without the negativity towards others who feel differently.
    Well said. I don't feel the slightest bit sucked in at all by my purchase. Heck, I resisted getting one for years when all my friends were getting into it. I don't think a cooking experience has to necessarily be compromised by the use of a Thermomix - guess it depends on the individual's idea of a "cooking experience". I got my 2 year old to help me layer a lasagna and then used Thermomix-prepared bechamel sauce - to me that's a fun cooking experience.

But I can see why it attracts some people, and doesn't appeal to others. Just because it appeals to some and is an item worth investing in, doesn't mean that they have been sucked in or have wasted their money. And similarly, those that choose not to buy one should be entitled to just feel that it's not something that they need or want, without having to justify why it's a bad decision for those that do buy one!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-09-2014),kezanazz  (09-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think I have been sucked in to anything.
    I have had plenty of honest and open discussions about it with friends who have them and have heard pros and cons.
    Ive made an informed choice on what will work best in my current situation

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think no one is in a position to judge how others spend THEIR money. To some new cars, overseas holidays, renting, 2nd hand cars, domestic holidays and mortgages are a waste of money ( and yes I purposely did the opposite to prove a point).

I love to cook but frankly I don't have time on work nights to cook the way I want to. To me slow cooker meals or reheating is no different than using a thermo on those nights

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-09-2014),smallpotatoes  (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I think no one is in a position to judge how others spend THEIR money. To some new cars, overseas holidays, renting, 2nd hand cars, domestic holidays and mortgages are a waste of money ( and yes I purposely did the opposite to prove a point).

I love to cook but frankly I don't have time on work nights to cook the way I want to. To me slow cooker meals or reheating is no different than using a thermo on those nights
    Agreed.
    Also, precooking and freezing meals takes more time than I often have as a shift working mother with a family of 6, and more room than we have (no room for a big freezer) so the tmx saves me heaps of time there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would love one. I enter comps when i see them. While i couldn't use it every night as i don't think it is big enough to feed my family. So i couldn't justify the price for that reason. I think they are great if you can afford one or two

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love it for my breakfast smoothies, kids banana milkshakes & ive recently dramatically reduced our familys sugar intake so I find its a useful tool to help me achieve our nutritional goals. I do still like my old ways of cooking ie my 2min hollandaise sauce, poached eggs, oven baked casseroles etc but its definitely a welcome addition

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sycx View Post
    And similarly, those that choose not to buy one should be entitled to just feel that it's not something that they need or want, without having to justify why it's a bad decision for those that do buy one!
    I think that's the thing, IRL I have a lot of friends with them and some (only some) are rather "you just don't realise that you must get one, it will change your life". What they (only those specific people, not all my friends with a TMX) don't realise, is that the gadgets I have already do 80% of what a TMX does, plus some gadgets that do what a TMX can't (eg. my slow juicer which also grinds/makes sausages). I just get a bit eye-rolling sometimes when people are so evangelical about it all and make me feel like I'm less of a person as I don't have one. I think that's what you see here online too, you get to the point where you DO feel like you need to justify your choice not to get one.

Like I said before, if I won the lotto, I'd be calling my nearest rep asap. I'm not against them and I have many friends who quietly go about the business of making good use of their thermies. For me, at this point in time, I don't consider it valuable enough to justify the investment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my demo booked for saturday!!!!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using The Bub Hub mobile app