+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I'm not picking on you, but this is something that I've seen in the 'TMX v traditional' method examples, the 'traditional' method they explain is always much less efficient than how I cook. For example, I always boil veg in the pot below my steamer, then draining then I just use the lid of the pot and tip the water out, or I use the already used steamer basket. So the only extra thing is a $8 masher and 1 minute of elbow grease. Does the water stay in the TMX when you mash? Plus my multi cooker ($130) and rice cooker ($50) have a wire steamer tray enabling me to boil and steam at once without having to watch the pot.

When watching the Great British Menu they did use the TMX (all very accomplished chefs) for sauces/gravies. Any requiring reduction neelist. be done on the stove. They used a planetary mixer for batters, a sous vide for that etc. So while it appears to be a useful tool for a chef, it was just that, a tool, not replacing every other gadget. I'm guessing because, while the TMX can do a lot, other things still do a lot if those thing better/larger capacity etc.

I'm not hating on the thermo, if I'd won on Thursday it would have been on my shopping list. I can just see, as a perfectionist cook (like beancounter I need a uniform chop), that I wouldn't get the value out of it that others do.
    *Shrugs* I don't have a lot of kitchen space so I like that I don't need lots of appliances because I can do it all in one. I also like that I can be serving up dinner and thermie does the mashing for me in 20 seconds, rather than one minute of elbow grease. I had a multicooker and I hated it. Each to their own, the way that I said I'd make steamed veges and mash is how I used to do it with the appliances that I had at the time. I don't really care how chefs use it to be honest. I'm no chef, I hate cooking, I hate spending time in the kitchen...the thermomix means I get to spend less time in the kitchen but still get to make healthy, nutritious meals from scratch, and that's a huge win for me.
    Last edited by Full House; 23-08-2014 at 10:31.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    yes you are reading them wrong. I have this thing sitting on my bench that I use once a week for sauces and gravy and I'm trying to work out if there is something I'm missing. I don't like food cooked in it and I'm not going to mill flour or make almond milk. People say they use it for prep - what would that be? And how can you have a debate about a kitchen appliance?
    Okay...it just comes across that way when people say they make x y and z in their thermomix and you quote them and tell them that it's not worth it or you don't like the way it tastes. Anyway, just my observation. I'm bowing out. I love my thermomix, it was money well spent for my family...I really don't care how other people choose to cook because it doesn't affect me at all. Have a good weekend.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (23-08-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know an older singles who have and love a thermomix? My mum's just sold her house and downsizing. She's gluten intolerant and I'm wondering if one would make her life easier as she gets older. I only know (IRL) families with them. Do you think they are good when cooking for one or do they work better when the bowl is at least half full?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Subbing! There are so many ideas that I can use with my ... wait for it ... Kenwood that also cooks! I find it a much better machine for our family - obviously each to their own but the quantities and different attachments available for the Kenwood I find superior. Cost is about the same.
    Tell me more .. Which kenwood machine?

I have their food processor which I love.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Does anyone know an older singles who have and love a thermomix? My mum's just sold her house and downsizing. She's gluten intolerant and I'm wondering if one would make her life easier as she gets older. I only know (IRL) families with them. Do you think they are good when cooking for one or do they work better when the bowl is at least half full?
    Thermomix recently bought out a new recipe book that was aimed at cooking for 1-2 people, so it must work ok like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It tends to be for larger serves, but an option is also cooking a normal size
    meal in it and freezing or leftovers. Even less work for her!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend who lives alone and has a tmx. She uses it regularly and loves it.

Although I only cook large quantities in it, it would definitely be fine with a smaller amount for just one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    @Stretched just on boiling vegetables vitamins C and B complex are water soluble so you lose a lot of nutrients boiling them. Steaming is definitely preferable from a nutrition perspective. Although you can use the water you cooked them in for soups, sauces etc....
    I'm aware of that so only boil carrot, sweet potato and potato, carrot would be the only one we'd eat boiled routinely (I hate mash, only make it if I'm sucking up to DH).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I cook in it for just DH and I. This last week I have made meals for one as he's been away! So I think it's fine. Eg. Steamed a piece of salmon Plus some veggies.
    I also love the ease of making a big portion and freezing in containers. Eg. Made this awesome leek and potato soup this seem and made a batch. .. And froze in individual portions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (24-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My Mum has one and she can't eat gluten.

I don't even think she uses it once a month. It just sits on her counter ignored!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (24-08-2014)