+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always cooked from scratch as best I could but still had to buy stock or flour .. just little things like that before my thermomix

With our diet it's really hard so once I found out we are gluten and fructose intolerant that meant I can't buy any stock because all has onion .. even some ketchup has onion or yogurt has apple juice or mayonnaise has barley

This gave me the freedom with making it easy to make everything with simple instructions and small amounts of mess with no preservatives or little preservatives

It was best purchase I made now just makes life easier for me now and can expand our diets

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Perhaps I'm reading your posts wrong but you come across annoyed that others like their thermomix. Given the OP has said she is getting one and you have already said you wouldn't use it I don't understand your desire to try and start a debate with everyone who does say they like it. Maybe it's time to walk away, yeah?
    And as for the stock paste...it was far too salty for me so I just make it with heaps less salt. I was never inclined to make my own stocks before having a thermomix but I haven't bought stock since. However there are several different recipes for stock pastes for the thermomix, so people who don't like one could try another. I do like that I can have brown rice in the pantry for meals but grind down to a flour for school snacks for the kids....I wouldn't have bothered pre-thermie. It might not he worth it for you, and that's fine...no one is trying to change your mind. People are just sharing their experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    well thats where you have to work out what you want. We don't eat a lot of sweets/ baked things so for that small amount of flour -not worth it. I like making stock on the the stove and didn't like the thermomix stock paste at all. I can see the worth for some people, I just think you need to do the research to make sure it suits you.
    Last edited by Full House; 23-08-2014 at 07:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Can I be a bit rude and ask where you did the cooking classes? Would you recommend going to some before buying one to see if it's "my style"? I know I could go to the demos, but they are being put on for the sole purpose if selling them, so only preparing things that go well. I thought the cooking classes might give a more realistic idea of how I could use it.
    My neighbor has also asked me to do the classes with her; we're in wa metro

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I don't know. I don't ask and they don't cook for me. I know for me personally my main uses are for dinners (either whole dinners or part of dinner...such as last night we had falafels with sweet potato mash and steamed greens - I mixed up the falafels in the thermomix, and then baked them in the oven while I cooked the sweet potato in the basket and steamed the greens on top. Everything was ready at the same time and I have noticed my steamed veggies are any different to what they are when I would steam cook on a stove...only now I don't need a steamer for my veggies and then a pot to boil the sweet potato, which then needs a strainer to drain the water, and then a masher to mash it once done. There's only one thing I hate more than cooking and that's cleaning up so if I can reduce dishes I'm all for it!), green smoothies, healthy ice-creams/sorbets in summer (we eat coyo ice-cream...have you ever bought it? It's $13 for a very small size and I can make something just as good in my thermomix for 1/4 of the price), nut pastes, snacks, dips, salad dressings, sauces, hot chocolates with froth, breads when I feel so desired, coconut yoghurt. I know my aunty says she uses it for every meal, but I have never actually grilled her on what she makes, and as for the chef....well there's supposed to be an 'of' in there...so it should read 'I know of a chef' so I don't actually know. Some of the women I worked with today were talking about thermomixes and one said her friend is a chef and he has two for his personal use.
    I'm not picking on you, but this is something that I've seen in the 'TMX v traditional' method examples, the 'traditional' method they explain is always much less efficient than how I cook. For example, I always boil veg in the pot below my steamer, then draining then I just use the lid of the pot and tip the water out, or I use the already used steamer basket. So the only extra thing is a $8 masher and 1 minute of elbow grease. Does the water stay in the TMX when you mash? Plus my multi cooker ($130) and rice cooker ($50) have a wire steamer tray enabling me to boil and steam at once without having to watch the pot.

When watching the Great British Menu they did use the TMX (all very accomplished chefs) for sauces/gravies. Any requiring reduction neelist. be done on the stove. They used a planetary mixer for batters, a sous vide for that etc. So while it appears to be a useful tool for a chef, it was just that, a tool, not replacing every other gadget. I'm guessing because, while the TMX can do a lot, other things still do a lot if those thing better/larger capacity etc.

I'm not hating on the thermo, if I'd won on Thursday it would have been on my shopping list. I can just see, as a perfectionist cook (like beancounter I need a uniform chop), that I wouldn't get the value out of it that others do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the target version, and yeah I'm glad we didn't spend the extra money at this stage as I'm still a lazy cook who ends up with meat and veg more often than anything cooked in my machine. I would like to try harder to use it more and if I ever got to the point of using at least daily I would consider upgrading. My sister just bought the real thing, 6 months after me telling her about mine.

My mum was here the other night and had just been to a demo for my sis, we were doing a dish of chicken onion mushroom and cream over some pasta and mum said oh couldn't you do that in your machine. The only benefit would have been not having to chop the onion really. And the chicken prob would have ended up less chunky.

Sweet stuff it's amazing for though. I enjoy making slices etc to take to people's houses and it does make that much much easier. And I did make my own butter the other day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I also know for me because it cost so much money I have tried to make sure I use it for as many things as possible or I don't feel like I got my value out of it. If I owned something that cost $300 I wouldn't feel compelled to use it as much.

I used to be a perfectionist in my cooking, and I still do love to cook the old way, but the reality of my life at the moment is that cooking has to be quick. And for me the thermomix meets my needs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Perhaps I'm reading your posts wrong but you come across annoyed that others like their thermomix. Given the OP has said she is getting one and you have already said you wouldn't use it I don't understand your desire to try and start a debate with everyone who does say they like it. Maybe it's time to walk away, yeah?.
    yes you are reading them wrong. I have this thing sitting on my bench that I use once a week for sauces and gravy and I'm trying to work out if there is something I'm missing. I don't like food cooked in it and I'm not going to mill flour or make almond milk. People say they use it for prep - what would that be? And how can you have a debate about a kitchen appliance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also add, while I don't think I'd get value, if you have a grain allergy or fructose malabsorption they would be a godsend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I'm not picking on you, but this is something that I've seen in the 'TMX v traditional' method examples, the 'traditional' method they explain is always much less efficient than how I cook. For example, I always boil veg in the pot below my steamer, then draining then I just use the lid of the pot and tip the water out, or I use the already used steamer basket. So the only extra thing is a $8 masher and 1 minute of elbow grease. Does the water stay in the TMX when you mash? Plus my multi cooker ($130) and rice cooker ($50) have a wire steamer tray enabling me to boil and steam at once without having to watch the pot.

When watching the Great British Menu they did use the TMX (all very accomplished chefs) for sauces/gravies. Any requiring reduction neelist. be done on the stove. They used a planetary mixer for batters, a sous vide for that etc. So while it appears to be a useful tool for a chef, it was just that, a tool, not replacing every other gadget. I'm guessing because, while the TMX can do a lot, other things still do a lot if those thing better/larger capacity etc.

I'm not hating on the thermo, if I'd won on Thursday it would have been on my shopping list. I can just see, as a perfectionist cook (like beancounter I need a uniform chop), that I wouldn't get the value out of it that others do.
    You don't use water in mash with a tmx- the potato is cooked in milk and you can steam the veg above it. Once cooked you can pop in a bit of butter and Parmesan (or not- up to you) then pop in the butterfly attachment. Seconds later, it's mashed. There's nothing to drain.
    As for reduction- I make balsamic reduction in the thermo. I've never needed to remove anything to reduce on the stove. I use it for cake batters etc no problem.
    The capacity is over 2 liters which does my family of 6 just fine at the moment but I've also joined a few groups on fb to learn more about making bigger dishes- I wouldn't mind it being slightly bigger!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    well thats where you have to work out what you want. We don't eat a lot of sweets/ baked things so for that small amount of flour -not worth it. I like making stock on the the stove and didn't like the thermomix stock paste at all. I can see the worth for some people, I just think you need to do the research to make sure it suits you.
    I like making bread, pizza dough, savoury scrolls, pasta dough, pastry- not just sweets

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (23-08-2014)