+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 256
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,106
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked
    949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    I've also got a "poor womans version" - and so glad I have as it turns out I would not get my $2000 worth from a thermomix. I like to to cook and I found that food cooked in the thermocooker had a mushy basic taste I didn't like at all. I don't even use it as a food processor - it pulverises everything. I like my bologanise sauce with finely chopped vege (I'm a good chopper!) So I'm back to the stove, but I do use it for sauces - like white sauce, emulsion sauces, gravy - and it is brilliant for that and those things can make a meal special, but I'm glad I got the cheaper version.
    I completely agree with this and was thinking of buying a cheapie version to use as a kitchen helper. Which one do you have?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    236
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    I completely agree with this and was thinking of buying a cheapie version to use as a kitchen helper. Which one do you have?
    I got a Maxi from the Good Guys but I'm not sure if they still sell them.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    236
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisbanemum87 View Post
    Love my thermomix ... I make nearly everything from scratch now

    I have a few of my dishes that I still do old school but all mixing, chopping, blending, kneading is done in thermomix

    Soups, stock, mash potato, steaming, jams, beef stroganoff, bread, pizza bases, .... The list goes on is now done in my thermomix

    I cut down my food bill and much healthy way I cook now

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I don't understand the "cooking from scratch" thing? Not you in particular but I often hear thermomix owners saying that they are now able to cook from scratch. Surely people realise you can do that just as easily without a machine? I cook "from scratch" as in I don't use any packets or recipe bases or canned soups etc and find that the flavours developed on a stove top over a long period of time, or in a wok, are far superior to anything cooked in a thermo cooker.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

    BettyW  (22-08-2014),HappyBovinexx  (22-08-2014),oozzle  (22-08-2014),PinkPopsicle  (22-08-2014)

  5. #34
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    2,412
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    I don't understand the "cooking from scratch" thing? Not you in particular but I often hear thermomix owners saying that they are now able to cook from scratch. Surely people realise you can do that just as easily without a machine? I cook "from scratch" as in I don't use any packets or recipe bases or canned soups etc and find that the flavours developed on a stove top over a long period of time, or in a wok, are far superior to anything cooked in a thermo cooker.
    Of course, I think people just mean that the thermomix gives them the freedom to cook from scratch...cooking from scratch in the thermomix is far quicker than cooking everything from scratch on the stove. I haven't found the flavours to be inferior in the thermomix when I've converted my recipes, but that's just my experience. I hate cooking so anything that saves me time is a huge win in my books!


    OP, the thermomix gets a big yay from me! I've had mine 2.5 years and love it. I can't speak for the cheaper versions, but I have noticed that there are more people who don't use the cheaper versions than people who don't use the thermomix. It makes me think that there probably is a difference in the way it cooks/chops etc.
    Last edited by Full House; 22-08-2014 at 19:01.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

    PinkPopsicle  (22-08-2014)

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks
    1,301
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    I don't understand the "cooking from scratch" thing? Not you in particular but I often hear thermomix owners saying that they are now able to cook from scratch. Surely people realise you can do that just as easily without a machine? I cook "from scratch" as in I don't use any packets or recipe bases or canned soups etc and find that the flavours developed on a stove top over a long period of time, or in a wok, are far superior to anything cooked in a thermo cooker.
    I agree, I sold the Thermomix i won after a few weeks. It didn't do anything that I couldn't already do really, cooking is fun for me, even if I stuff it up, I like to do it myself.

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    236
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Of course, I think people just mean that the thermomix gives them the freedom to cook from scratch...cooking from scratch in the thermomix is far quicker than cooking everything from scratch on the stove. I haven't found the flavours to be inferior in the thermomix when I've converted my recipes, but that's just my experience. I hate cooking so anything that saves me time is a huge win in my books!


    OP, the thermomix gets a big yay from me! I've had mine 2.5 years and love it. I can't speak for the cheaper versions, but I have noticed that there are more people who don't use the cheaper versions than people who don't use the thermomix. It makes me think that there probably is a difference in the way it cooks/chops etc.
    maybe? But for me it's definitely about the way I cook. I have a friend who hated cooking and bought a thermomix and it did change her life - she made her sons birthday cake - her first ever cake not from a packet. Plus she would barely scrape together dinner and thermomix is so exact and easy (ie 50g this plus one cup this etc, cook at this temp for this time) so it's almost foolproof. So I can see for some people they are amazing. It's taken me years to be the cook I am, and it's about understanding flavour combinations, knowing what makes things different textures, what makes things bind etc. It's complex and I think you have to have a bit of an appitude and lots of learning and if you're like me cooking by numbers doesn't appeal. But like I said the sauces are great and I also do curry pastes - milling, toasting, blending. So I think you need to think carefully as for some a $2000 thermomix will be a life changer and for some a waste of money.

  9. #37
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    2,412
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    maybe? But for me it's definitely about the way I cook. I have a friend who hated cooking and bought a thermomix and it did change her life - she made her sons birthday cake - her first ever cake not from a packet. Plus she would barely scrape together dinner and thermomix is so exact and easy (ie 50g this plus one cup this etc, cook at this temp for this time) so it's almost foolproof. So I can see for some people they are amazing. It's taken me years to be the cook I am, and it's about understanding flavour combinations, knowing what makes things different textures, what makes things bind etc. It's complex and I think you have to have a bit of an appitude and lots of learning and if you're like me cooking by numbers doesn't appeal. But like I said the sauces are great and I also do curry pastes - milling, toasting, blending. So I think you need to think carefully as for some a $2000 thermomix will be a life changer and for some a waste of money.
    For sure....but then my aunty is an avid cook...loves loves loves it and she adores her thermomix. I know a chef who owns two (for his own personal use) so I do think that those who love to cook and can cook are also capable of loving their thermomix. It doesn't bother me if people do or don't like it...I looked at the Kenwood link and it has far too many different attachments for what I would want personally because I am a lazy cook and I hate cleaning up! It's just been my observation that those with a cheaper model generally aren't as satisfied with the product as those with a thermomix. Others may have a different observation based on the people in their circle of life

    I do agree that it's something people need to think about though due to the cost...I know I was still nervous when I bought mine even though I was convinced I'd like it...it's a lot of money to part with! Thankfully I do love it so I'm happy I parted with the money. A small part of me would like to buy a Bellini to compare...but I feel that would be a waste of $200, even though I fully intend to buy a second thermomix one day
    Last edited by Full House; 22-08-2014 at 19:40.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

    btmacxxx  (22-08-2014),smallpotatoes  (22-08-2014)

  11. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,437
    Thanks
    660
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for all replies :-)
    Ive always tried to convince myself that I don't need/want one as I prefer stove/oven cooking or I already have xyz appliance/accessories that do the same. Oh well if I dont end up using it much I can always sell it

    Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  12. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    856
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    236
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    For sure....but then my aunty is an avid cook...loves loves loves it and she adores her thermomix. I know a chef who owns two (for his own personal use) so I do think that those who love to cook and can cook are also capable of loving their thermomix
    Just wondering what they use if for? As I said it's brilliant for sauces/gravy and curry pastes, also for melting chocolate and probably other desert things (not a desert cooker).

  13. #40
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    2,412
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    Just wondering what they use if for? As I said it's brilliant for sauces/gravy and curry pastes, also for melting chocolate and probably other desert things (not a desert cooker).
    I don't know. I don't ask and they don't cook for me. I know for me personally my main uses are for dinners (either whole dinners or part of dinner...such as last night we had falafels with sweet potato mash and steamed greens - I mixed up the falafels in the thermomix, and then baked them in the oven while I cooked the sweet potato in the basket and steamed the greens on top. Everything was ready at the same time and I have noticed my steamed veggies are any different to what they are when I would steam cook on a stove...only now I don't need a steamer for my veggies and then a pot to boil the sweet potato, which then needs a strainer to drain the water, and then a masher to mash it once done. There's only one thing I hate more than cooking and that's cleaning up so if I can reduce dishes I'm all for it!), green smoothies, healthy ice-creams/sorbets in summer (we eat coyo ice-cream...have you ever bought it? It's $13 for a very small size and I can make something just as good in my thermomix for 1/4 of the price), nut pastes, snacks, dips, salad dressings, sauces, hot chocolates with froth, breads when I feel so desired, coconut yoghurt. I know my aunty says she uses it for every meal, but I have never actually grilled her on what she makes, and as for the chef....well there's supposed to be an 'of' in there...so it should read 'I know of a chef' so I don't actually know. Some of the women I worked with today were talking about thermomixes and one said her friend is a chef and he has two for his personal use.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Thermomix consultants
    By maternidade in forum Working From Home
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-04-2014, 00:35
  2. Thermomix - is it really worth all the $$$
    By SunshineMunky in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 12:46
  3. Thermomix
    By 3ratbags in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 22-01-2014, 20:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Softmats
Softmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and Premium Bubba Mat™ range of floor spaces are the best quality in the world.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!