+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Do parents of children who have a medical reason for not being vaccinated fill out a CO form though??? Surely their doctor would provide some sort of proof?

My niece was diagnosed with cancer as a toddler and missed out on some vaccinations while she was undergoing chemo + lost immunity to some diseases she had been vaccinated against. Her unvaccinated status at the time was not due to a medical belief of my sister's, it was a consequence of having cancer and chemo.
    I don't know. @Tamtam may know what the case is here?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Do parents of children who have a medical reason for not being vaccinated fill out a CO form though??? Surely their doctor would provide some sort of proof?

My niece was diagnosed with cancer as a toddler and missed out on some vaccinations while she was undergoing chemo + lost immunity to some diseases she had been vaccinated against. Her unvaccinated status at the time was not due to a medical belief of my sister's, it was a consequence of having cancer and chemo.
    Um I'm not sure. But for me when dd was so far behind due to surgeries and I got a letter from Centrelink/medicare about my ccr and ccb being affected .... Our paediatrician wrote a letter detailing the reason.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (20-08-2014),Stretched  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    I just think, we all as a community,need to be vaccinating our children to protect the babies and children ( medical grounds) that can't be vaccinated ( or are too young) I believe we all have a duty of care to our vulnerable!

It's very very upsetting.
    Completely agree. It's a community, societal issue, over and above being one of "personal choice" .

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2014),Mokeybear  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't see why vaccinating cannot become compulsory. Because it affects the wider community. .. And the vulnerable (old and young)it is a community responsibility to take care of each other. I think this supersedes any discrimination. The greater good and all that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-08-2014),beebs  (21-08-2014),bpac  (21-08-2014),CompareTheMeerkat  (20-08-2014),Donnab739  (21-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (21-08-2014),Purple Lily  (20-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (20-08-2014),~Marigold~  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This is when I'd like to hear from a non vaxxer. And I don't mean to have a pitch battle.

I would genuinely like to know how a non vaxxer reacts to this sort of thing. It would scare the cr@p out of me.
    There's a theory that basically categorises many of those who choose one "low likelihood, high consequence" risk over another perceived risk (whether scientifically substantiated or not) as being of the "it won't happen to me" school of thought. In much the same way as, oh I dunno, someone who exceeds the speed limit thinks they won't have an accident, or one that might hurt them or their loved ones, or anyone else they might crash into. :-/

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2014),cheeeeesecake  (20-08-2014),MissMuppet  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Ok so historically I've been a bit "I'm pro vax but each to their own". But increasingly I'm struggling to support that. I'm immune to measles right now as I was vaxxed as a child so my unborn baby is safe. But what if my newborn come into contact, not just with those 5 kids, but whoever they have infected??

This doesn't just affect the child who doesn't receive the vax, it affects the entire community. I'm struggling to remain polite so will leave it there.
    ??? Have I missed something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The anti vaxxers are always silent in times like this. Or they will say 'My SIL's cousins friend was unvaccinated, and got measles and only had a few spots and a mild cough. It must be because of their super strong immune system because they don't vaccinate.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    Question: when is a child considered fully vaccinated against these diseases?
    They are considered fully protected after they have had two doses of the MMR vaccine. Under the old schedule, the two doses were given at 12 months and 4 years. Under the new schedule, the two doses are given at 12 months and (MMRV) at 18 months. So depending on the age of your child, they are either protected at 18 months, or 4 years. My 2 year old has had two doses, my 3 year old was under the old schedule - so has only had one dose & is not yet fully protected.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2014),MsViking  (21-08-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Ok so historically I've been a bit "I'm pro vax but each to their own". But increasingly I'm struggling to support that. I'm immune to measles right now as I was vaxxed as a child so my unborn baby is safe. But what if my newborn come into contact, not just with those 5 kids, but whoever they have infected??

This doesn't just affect the child who doesn't receive the vax, it affects the entire community. I'm struggling to remain polite so will leave it there.
    I used to be exactly the same. I am pro vax and had the opinion "each to their own" Then when my two month old baby could have contacted measles and then a few weeks later whooping cough my opinion changed.....

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    The anti vaxxers are always silent in times like this. Or they will say 'My SIL's cousins friend was unvaccinated, and got measles and only had a few spots and a mild cough. It must be because of their super strong immune system because they don't vaccinate.'

They are considered fully protected after they have had two doses of the MMR vaccine. Under the old schedule, the two doses were given at 12 months and 4 years. Under the new schedule, the two doses are given at 12 months and (MMRV) at 18 months. So depending on the age of your child, they are either protected at 18 months, or 4 years. My 2 year old has had two doses, my 3 year old was under the old schedule - so has only had one dose & is not yet fully protected.
    Asking as i need to look at putting DD into CC at 9 months old (next June) and it makes me very uneasy knowing that things with these diseases are just going to get worse especially with most non vaxxers being silly and not vaccinating.
    Now debating whether to put off CC until fully protected or not :/

I guess i am being extra paranoid as i nearly lost my newborn brother to not just chickenpox but also whooping cough.
    Last edited by MummaCat; 20-08-2014 at 22:02.