+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I actually have another way of explaining things.

Atm I'm not sure if Ebola is a VPD, but just say it was. There is a vaccine that could have prevented this outbreak. And people decide that they're not going to vaccinate because some random said ebola is an easilly treatable illness.
    At present, one of the boarders of one of the heavilly affected parts now has a "shoot on sight" order. Anyone trying to leave will be shot and killed. So if the ebola doesn't kill you, someone with a gun will. To protect the rest of society and keep them safe.

So then what is the lesser of two evils. The measures taken to contain and control such a deadly disease or just being made to have a vaccination?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That example isn't really relevant to the situation here though. I guess I believe that people in that country should decide for themselves what is worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I think smoking isn't a great example as you are asking smokers NOT to do something. Forcing people to have drugs injected against their will is completely different in my mind.
    Someone by all means correct me if im wrong but my understanding is a vaccine is a live component of the disease. Therefore that would mean it isnt a drug.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    Someone by all means correct me if im wrong but my understanding is a vaccine is a live component of the disease. Therefore that would mean it isnt a drug.
    Apologies...maybe wrong term. Same thing though...just replace "drug" with the appropriate term - doesnt change my belief. Not all vaccines are "live" though I don't think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Apologies...maybe wrong term. Same thing though...just replace "drug" with the appropriate term - doesnt change my belief. Not all vaccines are "live" though I don't think
    Pretty sure you are right you can get live and not but you knew what i meant

ETA: in regards to forced vacc not sure where i sit with it BUT i do believe those that CHOOSE not to vacc should have something in place against them that keeps those that cannot be vacced whether for medical reasons or age safe. I do not think it is fair that a parent for instance should have the risk of having a very sick newborn or worse death of a child thrust upon them due to someone elses decision to risk their own family.
    Last edited by MummaCat; 21-08-2014 at 12:15.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2014),LaDiDah  (21-08-2014),Purple Lily  (21-08-2014),sajimum  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I have a friend, who had an inhome carer who wasn't vaccinated and they only found out when she got whooping cough and spread it to her kids!

I think that should be illegal - if you work in a care profession you should legally have to be vaccinated. As it is currently - even nurses and doctors can get exemptions. That is not ok!
    I did not know this...probably because ALL of my medical colleagues are vaccinated, and it's never been an issue. As a doctor in a hospital, you still have to apply for the position and be "employed" by the hospital. I'd put money on the hospital rejecting your application for "other reasons" if they found out you were a CO. Definitely not good for the hospital's public image if they knowlingly employed someone potentially infectious with a VPD wandering around the wards!!

I cannot speak for the Nursing profession, obviously.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I'm going to use smoking as an example again as a PP that mentioned it earlier really made sense.

Tobacco smokers are doing something that is against the overwhelming evidence that advises against it for our health. Just as there is overwhelming evidence that we should vaccinate for our health.
    Smoking is banned in many public places because of the proven health risks to others. Why is not vaccinating any different?
    As an ex-smoker, even when I did smoke I supported this. I wouldn't smoke in the car, or house. I was super funny about smoking anywhere near anyone that wasn't smoking with me.

Why should people around me, including my kids have to sit in a cloud of passive smoke bc I chose the habit? That's just selfish. I was never going to have my bad choices affect others....

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-08-2014),beebs  (21-08-2014),HappyBovinexx  (21-08-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (21-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I did not know this...probably because ALL of my medical colleagues are vaccinated, and it's never been an issue. As a doctor in a hospital, you still have to apply for the position and be "employed" by the hospital. I'd put money on the hospital rejecting your application for "other reasons" if they found out you were a CO. Definitely not good for the hospital's public image if they knowlingly employed someone potentially infectious with a VPD wandering around the wards!!

I cannot speak for the Nursing profession, obviously.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app
    One of our local MCHNs is a staunch anti vaxxer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think smoking isn't a great example as you are asking smokers NOT to do something. Forcing people to have drugs injected against their will is completely different in my mind.
    It's relevant because they can both have adverse health effects on the community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That example isn't really relevant to the situation here though. I guess I believe that people in that country should decide for themselves what is worse.
    Sorry. I realised I didn't tie it into my point and went to edit it but you got there first.

Basically, potentially healthy people who are trying to escape a deadly disease are going to be killed (in this scenario) because something that could have been prevented or the outbreak not be as severe isn't due to non vaccination.

Essentially, if a disease can kill and it can be prevented, people who choose not to are putting the rest of society in danger. I don't believe people should be allowed to make a concious decision to endanger other peoples lives when they haven't consulted those people and come to a decision as a whole.

Hence drink driving laws, smoking in public places/with children in cars, etc etc. You are stopped from behaving in a way that puts others in danger.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2014),bpac  (21-08-2014),J37  (21-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (21-08-2014),sajimum  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    It's relevant because they can both have adverse health effects on the community.
    Of course they do...the way we reduce that risk is different in each example though, that's all I was saying.