This image has popped up on friends' newsfeeds a few times in the past couple of years. It always leaves me puzzled.

Attachment 59603

I've heard (in excruciating detail) the full argument about why margarine is a bad choice for health. I'm not even going to go near that debate. Usually the image has been accompanied by lots of 'even ants know it's not good for them' comments. What I don't get is, how do people seriously think this image supports their argument?

I've seen ants chow down on some pretty horrendous things over the years. To get rid if an infestation, my mum would make a paste of borax and honey, which they would eat and take back to the nest, effectively killing all of them. I appreciate that borax (boron) and honey are both 'natural' products, but still it doesn't give me a whole lot of faith in an ants judgement of what is safe to eat.

Out of curiosity, I tried to replicate this. I could only find little outdoor brown ants, no black ones. I used butter, margarine and napisan as a paste. They all showed very little interest in all 3. Some started to get stuck when the butter and marg started to melt.

So, am I missing something? Is there some other reason why more than one of my friends has felt this is a valid image to share?

I wasn't sure where to put this. Mods please move if there is a better section for it.