+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Wow, what made you decide to get her tonsils out so early at 12 months?

DS has had a snuffle since he was born pretty much. He's had a lot more colds than DD (her issues didn't start until she started at daycare). He's also a much worse night sleeper.

I used to be very "tonsillectomy is the last resort", but seeing the amazing change in DD since having hers out, I'm much more open to it now.
    I was exactly the same when we were first contemplating getting DD2's tonsils out. Once you've had one done it's a bit easier deciding whether the next needs to be done.
    With DD4 we just needed to wait till she was 12months old, would of done it earlier if we could of. She was born with what I class as a permanent throat infection, never a month she didn't have tonsillitis with 40+ degree temps and vomiting. Her tonsils were so large they covered the back of her throat. She's now 2.5 years old and has barely gotten sick since they came out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ir's just awful isn't it? I'm so worried that we might be going through it all again!

If you hit a brick wall and want to try going to Perth to get it done, I can highly recommend DD's ENT in Freo. He also did a friend's 2yo (she recommended him to me) and since then another friend's 3yo.
    we are under the ENT clinic at pmh who do clinics here. If I get nowhere on Friday I will be going elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ir's just awful isn't it? I'm so worried that we might be going through it all again!

If you hit a brick wall and want to try going to Perth to get it done, I can highly recommend DD's ENT in Freo. He also did a friend's 2yo (she recommended him to me) and since then another friend's 3yo.
    Had our appointment today and finally after 2 years they are going to take ds's tonsils out. He has had tonsilitis 5 times this year so far.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

misho  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No dd had hers removed best decision ever!!!! She's not been sick since July so ôver a month nearly two ! She's gained 2 kilos in that time too and eating it affected her quality of sleeping before removal

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's timely that you bumped this thread back up @monnie24. DS ended up sick for 6 weeks straight in total requiring broad spectrum ABs and steroids to finally kick it. Then he was healthy for 5 days - now sick again with a cough/cold! Back to the doctors we go.

Meanwhile, his big sister (who had her tonsils removed at 4), has survived her first winter in Melbourne at a new school where everyone's been constantly sick with 2 colds, one resulting in a mild ear infection and only needing 1 day off! I'm seriously thinking a tonsilectomy will end up the way to go with DS too, just dreading the endless sickness we'll need to go through to get a doctor to agree with me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds got his out on Tuesday. Fingers crossed it works for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    My ds got his out on Tuesday. Fingers crossed it works for us
    I hope so for you too! He must be almost back to normal now? I was surprised at how quickly DD recovered though the first 24 hours were hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope so for you too! He must be almost back to normal now? I was surprised at how quickly DD recovered though the first 24 hours were hard.
    Ours has been the opposite, in hospital he was great. As soon as he got home he has gotten sore and sooky. Lots of cuddles and lots of medicine.

I wasn't expecting him to eat so well though.. He are pizza in hospital and is happy to nibble on his favourite foods. I thought he'd be right off all foods tbh.

Will see how he goes overnight. He hadn't had Panadol since 2pm and painkiller even earlier, so I'm assuming his temp will spike soon.

I don't know whether I should just dose him up or wait for him to feel cr@p... What happens if he's feeling better and doesn't need it so regularly.. Not sure if I'm doing it right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think he should be running a temperature, you may want to call them in the morning if he is. DD had some discomfort and needed a bit of pain relief for that but once she'd had a good nights sleep she was almost back to normal. I don't remember her temp being up at all though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I was worried about him too and was on the verge of calling them.

But he now hasn't had Panadol or the painkiller since 1pm yesterday so I am chuffed! Seems to be back to his old self totally

Now hopefully he will stop getting sick so often and will start slowly putting on weight.