+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Did your little one grow into their tonsils?

As the title says, did you bub have big tonsils that were impacting on their health but they grew into them and the health issues resolved?

DD had big tonsils, recurrent tonsillitis plus recurrent ear infections (not always at the same time). The ENT agreed that her big tonsils were preventing her ears from draining properly. Following her tonsillectomy at 4, she's barely caught a cold.

DS is 14 months and has been sick for 4 weeks already. Last week he was diagnosed with an ear infection, 2 days later, once on antibiotics, the doctor said it looked 100% clear again and to just finish the course. So when, in the last 2 days he's been taking a turn for the worse, so got in to see a different doctor and both ears are infected now. When examining him she exclaimed "Big tonsils!".

So I'm worried we're heading for years of illness while waiting to see if he grows into his tonsils. If there's not much chance he is going to grow into them, I'd rather look into a tonsillectomy sooner rather than later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds1 had tonisilitis, big tonsils and enlarged adenoids every 2 to 4 weeks until the age of 2. The illness and sleepless nights were terrible. Just after his 2nd birthday we had them removed and since he has been fantastic

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miniminka For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was my understanding that they don't actually 'grow' into their tonsils. Once they have enlarged tonsils then they don't go away. 3 of my 4 daughters have had their tonsils out, DD4 was only 12 months when hers came out but I still say it's the best thing we've ever done. DD2 never had tonsillitis but hers were enlarged and she had constant ear infections that grommets (4 sets) weren't curing. Once the tonsils came out at aged 2 then her ears cleared and never needed grommets again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    It was my understanding that they don't actually 'grow' into their tonsils. Once they have enlarged tonsils then they don't go away. 3 of my 4 daughters have had their tonsils out, DD4 was only 12 months when hers came out but I still say it's the best thing we've ever done. DD2 never had tonsillitis but hers were enlarged and she had constant ear infections that grommets (4 sets) weren't curing. Once the tonsils came out at aged 2 then her ears cleared and never needed grommets again.
    Wow, what made you decide to get her tonsils out so early at 12 months?

DS has had a snuffle since he was born pretty much. He's had a lot more colds than DD (her issues didn't start until she started at daycare). He's also a much worse night sleeper.

I used to be very "tonsillectomy is the last resort", but seeing the amazing change in DD since having hers out, I'm much more open to it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS2 had recurring tonsillitis for almost 2 years. He had it 23 times in 2 years. Absolutely ridiculous. However he didnt have them out (public system is a joke and we couldnt afford private at the time) and he is now 4...has had tonsillitis 3 times in 2 years. That's it. He has only had 1 ear infection in his life though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    As the title says, did you bub have big tonsils that were impacting on their health but they grew into them and the health issues resolved?

DD had big tonsils, recurrent tonsillitis plus recurrent ear infections (not always at the same time). The ENT agreed that her big tonsils were preventing her ears from draining properly. Following her tonsillectomy at 4, she's barely caught a cold.

DS is 14 months and has been sick for 4 weeks already. Last week he was diagnosed with an ear infection, 2 days later, once on antibiotics, the doctor said it looked 100% clear again and to just finish the course. So when, in the last 2 days he's been taking a turn for the worse, so got in to see a different doctor and both ears are infected now. When examining him she exclaimed "Big tonsils!".

So I'm worried we're heading for years of illness while waiting to see if he grows into his tonsils. If there's not much chance he is going to grow into them, I'd rather look into a tonsillectomy sooner rather than later.
    Ds2 has big tonsils and had reoccurring tonsillitis and ear infections. He has been under ENT for a few years. Initially they wouldn't take the tonsils out because he was 2 young then the next time at his follow up appointment he had a period of 6mths where he didn't get tonsilitis so they decided they wouldn't take them out. We have another follow up appointment on Friday and he has had tonsilitis and ear infections frequently since the last appointment, I am really going to be firm and push to have them out this time. I have copies of all his medical records showing his admissions to ed etc. He is sick for weeks when he has tonsilitis. Enough is enough! It has gone on for 2.5yrs now.

I would push to get them out now op.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Ds2 has big tonsils and had reoccurring tonsillitis and ear infections. He has been under ENT for a few years. Initially they wouldn't take the tonsils out because he was 2 young then the next time at his follow up appointment he had a period of 6mths where he didn't get tonsilitis so they decided they wouldn't take them out. We have another follow up appointment on Friday and he has had tonsilitis and ear infections frequently since the last appointment, I am really going to be firm and push to have them out this time. I have copies of all his medical records showing his admissions to ed etc. He is sick for weeks when he has tonsilitis. Enough is enough! It has gone on for 2.5yrs now.

I would push to get them out now op.
    Ir's just awful isn't it? I'm so worried that we might be going through it all again!

If you hit a brick wall and want to try going to Perth to get it done, I can highly recommend DD's ENT in Freo. He also did a friend's 2yo (she recommended him to me) and since then another friend's 3yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You probably have more experience in this than me, but my ds1 4.5yo is getting his out next week .

I always suspected they were obstructing but in the past 3 months they've grown so much that it's no wonder why he chews and chews and then spits out his food. He constantly has colds, not tonsillitis, but he has always slept poorly, eats terribly and IMO is too small and skinny for his age. His concentration is quite poor too, and starting prep next year so I'd like to do this now.
    I'm hoping once they're out, things should start to improve.

I've had mine out too, and no, I don't think you can grow into them. Once they're big, if they're problematic I think they stay problematic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He likes to eat but he has always gagged a lot. I never even considered tonsils could be a factor in that, but it would make sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD9 has huge tonsils that touch her dangly bit and I know when she is run down because her voice changes with them swelling. She also had recurrent tonsillitis as a toddler. However, she never had ear problems and is an otherwise very healthy child.

Ears are the worst and I think that is when kids need to be treated. x

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (20-08-2014)