+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I just simply called up and said "I won't be able to attend work tomorrow". And it came out of my paid sick leave. No sick cert needed, no questions asked.
    It's good for you that your workplace is so flexible but ... Eeekk... Open to abuse...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't see the issue with someone taking one or multiple mental health days. If you gave accrued your 'sick/personal' leave then what's the issue? Unless you are personally paying for their time off then it's none of your business. So it gets a bit busier. Meh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I don't see the issue with someone taking one or multiple mental health days. If you gave accrued your 'sick/personal' leave then what's the issue? Unless you are personally paying for their time off then it's none of your business. So it gets a bit busier. Meh.
    If someone is not really sick, if they are just having a bludge day off to laze about then it is ripping their employer off and is plain wrong.

I'm stopping short if suggesting mandated doctors certificates, but I'm still thinking about it. It's a pain but if you are really sick/have mental health issues to the point you can't work then you should be seeing a doctor. If it's a simple rest break people want then take some annual leave or work up some time in lieu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Agreed.

Of course it could be open to abuse but everything is. Certain GPs hand out certificates with no problem (also known as Dr Howlong, as in "how long do you want?") so that system is flawed too. I assume most adults have a basic level of honour and presumably work hard and do their job properly so if someone wants/needs a day of rest then let them have it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (20-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    When I have been at my most sick one of the last things I could have done was get a doctor's certificate. My doctor has a massive wait list. So even if I was well enough to drive myself I couldn't have got an appointment anyway.

Look grown ups have to be trusted. There will always be people that abuse
    sick leave. I got 3 days a year sick leave when I was part time. If I was stupid enough to waste it going to the movies then I lost annual leave when I actually needed it. The vast majority are honest if their employer treats them fairly.

Excessive sick leave is a sign something is wrong at the workplace.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (20-08-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I accrue sick leave over the year. I can have up to 2 days in a row before I have to have a certificate.
    Employers factor in that peoppe can use their sick leave at any time-that can't be stopped.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    When I have been at my most sick one of the last things I could have done was get a doctor's certificate. My doctor has a massive wait list. So even if I was well enough to drive myself I couldn't have got an appointment anyway.

Look grown ups have to be trusted. There will always be people that abuse
    sick leave. I got 3 days a year sick leave when I was part time. If I was stupid enough to waste it going to the movies then I lost annual leave when I actually needed it. The vast majority are honest if their employer treats them fairly.

Excessive sick leave is a sign something is wrong at the workplace.
    Agree 100% with all of this.

If I am really sick then I'm too sick to go visit a doctor. And I should be at home resting instead of spreading my germs everywhere.

I also resent taking up a doctors time and mine if I have a bad migraine or period pain. That's if I'm lucky to find a doctor that can fit me in- they are all busy seeing workers needing doctors certificates rather than actual patients requiring a diagnosis/treatment

Adults need to be trusted and I find it insulting that I require a certificate even with an excellent attendance record. My workplace requires a certificate for ANY sick leave taken due to high absenteeism. Hasn't solved the issue though. People just opt not to get paid, and it's the same staff over and over. If people abuse it/take excessive leave then as an individual they should be managed.

As an aside some chemists are now issuing certificates in my area at $25 a pop..... Still not sure if they are accepted or not
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 20-08-2014 at 20:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mental health day? I just call it a sickie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its sick leave. It's none of their business as to why I'm sick. It was one day off that wasn't before/after days off.

I would think most workplaces are "flexible" enough that 1 single day of sick leave wouldn't require a med cert.

If it was multiple days off or before/after days off then yes I would have had to provide a med cert.
    It is technically their business, and they can ask for evidence even if it's only for one day: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/sic...l-certificates

But you're right, in most workplaces a cert/reason wouldn't be required for just one day. I think in most cases people generally do the right thing and act in the spirit of what those entitlements are there to do, which is to give employees a small break when needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Medical certificate doesn't provide the diagnosis/reason though. Just that you are unfit for work.
    They can ask for enough information to determine what type of leave entitlement to give you , but yes they can't delve into anything more specific than that as it can breach privacy laws. I guess I took your original comments to mean that employers don't have any right to ask any questions about why an employee did not come to work, but on reading again I realise that's not what you were saying.
    Last edited by MsViking; 21-08-2014 at 06:58.