+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Mental health days have been around forever. I use them as another term for chucking a sickie. But I guess not everyone does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never had a mental health day, but there have been days that I think I should have (for example, one day I got into my car to drive to work and honestly contemplated driving into a large lake that is nearby rather than facing the day).

I suppose for for me, if I felt like I couldnt face the day and decided to just stay home with no notice, the guilt I would feel for leaving everyone else in the team in the lurch would be 1000x worse than how I felt originally. I would much prefer for just me to have a terrible day, than for everyone at work to because I left them short staffed. Stuff like that gets to me, when I know it probably shouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I worked for a company where 'mental health days' were essentially an officially sanctioned sickie. If you had been working particularly hard on a project, longer hours than normal, under stressful circumstances, had been under stress from things happening in your personal life etc your manager could approve time off to allow you some down time.

The days didn't come off your annual leave or sick leave, but the trade off was you had to prearrange it so you couldn't wake up with a hangover and try to claim it as a mental health day.

It worked well and wasn't generally abused. In fact, I'd say it was one of its more successful employee initiatives.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Cheese Please  (20-08-2014),peanutmonkey  (20-08-2014),Purple Lily  (20-08-2014),VicPark  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I worked for a company where 'mental health days' were essentially an officially sanctioned sickie. If you had been working particularly hard on a project, longer hours than normal, under stressful circumstances, had been under stress from things happening in your personal life etc your manager could approve time off to allow you some down time.

The days didn't come off your annual leave or sick leave, but the trade off was you had to prearrange it so you couldn't wake up with a hangover and try to claim it as a mental health day.

It worked well and wasn't generally abused. In fact, I'd say it was one of its more successful employee initiatives.
    Both law firms I worked at did this. It wasn't official - the partner just told you not to come in the next day. I really appreciated it as I know others did too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Please View Post
    I have never had a mental health day, but there have been days that I think I should have (for example, one day I got into my car to drive to work and honestly contemplated driving into a large lake that is nearby rather than facing the day).

I suppose for for me, if I felt like I couldnt face the day and decided to just stay home with no notice, the guilt I would feel for leaving everyone else in the team in the lurch would be 1000x worse than how I felt originally. I would much prefer for just me to have a terrible day, than for everyone at work to because I left them short staffed. Stuff like that gets to me, when I know it probably shouldn't.

As bad I my work has ever been I think if I was contemplating driving into a lake rather than going to work would be bl00dy good grounds for having a day off every now and then.

God some working environments are truly awful if people feel worse about taking a day for themselves when they must clearly need it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    As bad I my work has ever been I think if I was contemplating driving into a lake rather than going to work would be bl00dy good grounds for having a day off every now and then.

God some working environments are truly awful if people feel worse about taking a day for themselves when they must clearly need it.
    I think it comes down to the type of person, too. Loads of people at my work take mental health days - and seem to benefit - but I just can't bring myself to.

When I look at what makes me happy, it is generally based around helping others, so feeling like I am hindering others would make me feel sh1t. Also, I feel terrible if I haven't ... I guess 'achieved' is the right word? ... anything in a day, so again, a mental health day would do the exact opposite for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I just simply called up and said "I won't be able to attend work tomorrow". And it came out of my paid sick leave. No sick cert needed, no questions asked.
    This is what it should be. My DH used to get grilled about exactly how he was sick and why he couldnt come to work. Despite the fact that he always provided a medical certificate, he'd have to say "I cant come in because I'm vomiting my guts up" instead of saying he isnt well... but then again it was an awful place to work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    This is what it should be. My DH used to get grilled about exactly how he was sick and why he couldnt come to work. Despite the fact that he always provided a medical certificate, he'd have to say "I cant come in because I'm vomiting my guts up" instead of saying he isnt well... but then again it was an awful place to work.

I didn't think employers were allowed to ask for details.

At one of my previous jobs we got two 'wellness days' which were essentially mental health days. It was a bit of an unspoken rule that you don't call in when half the department is on annual leave, though most people wouldn't take a sickie on a day like that anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    I didn't think employers were allowed to ask for details.

At one of my previous jobs we got two 'wellness days' which were essentially mental health days. It was a bit of an unspoken rule that you don't call in when half the department is on annual leave, though most people wouldn't take a sickie on a day like that anyway.
    I didnt think so either but this workplace let another employee verbally abuse my DH for months without doing a thing...they sucked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I have. There are some days I just can't face the people or the stress without tears.
    I work with chemicals that have the potential to cause serious harm if I'm not on my game- its safer me not being there.
    As for it being abused? Its my sick leave n I'll use it if u want to!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app