+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Slightly different, but I occasionally have a day of annual leave, every 3-4 months or so, to just go to eat out/movies/get a massage/go shopping. Things that I don't normally get to do by myself. I consider them my mental health days and by gosh I need them.

Very occasionally, I will call in sick if I am probably slightly sniffly/headachy etc but really just can't cope mentally with being in the office.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have in the past but then spend the day feeling guilty for doing so. I used to work in an emotionally taxing workplace so needed them. I haven't had one for years. I know how much they impact the workplace because they need to replace staff when they take a day off. I've also had days where someone has taken a mental health day and have been unable to be replaced. It just makes the whole day horrible. I like a pp idea about having a one off annual leave day every month or so. It gives you time off to run errands/have a treat etc but also doesn't leave the workplace short. Definitely agree that people need a mental health day every now and then, as long as the workplace has decent amount notice to replace you if need be.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Cheese Please  (20-08-2014),sunnyflower  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    When I was working, yes I would occasionally take a mental health day. For me, it was all about self care as I worked in the mental health profession with a high burnout rate.

Now as a stay at home mum, I wish I could take a mental health day sometimes for my sanity!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I do. Your mental health is just as important to look after as your physical health. I love my job, but it can be challenging and occasionally I'll find myself feeling like I'm too overwhelmed or just not coping and I'll take a day off to give myself time to refocus, get things in perspective and then go back to work the next day in a calmer, better place.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phee83 For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (21-08-2014),sunnyflower  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I book the kids into an extra day of daycare every 4-5weeks so I can recharge. But I never call in sick unnecessarily.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted to but never did. I did love it when I got sick and could take time off guilt free

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do, I'm so rarely actually sick. At my job I can't have a "il just take it easy" day. So when I don't feel up to it, I don't go.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to darla87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. And I'm a mental health professional!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to when I worked at a school where the students were very challenging. Some days I just couldn't face going in to school and being 100% on top of my game, all day long. Now I am at a school where the students are generally very well behaved. I have barely taken a day off in the last 6 yrs.
    I think it makes a big difference what type of job you have and maybe what else is going on in your life. I think taking the odd day off to guard your mental health isn't a bad thing if that is what you need.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I quite enjoy my job, I don't take random days off for the hell of it and no one else does my job when I'm away so having days off like that would not be of any benefit, I would have to catch up when I returned.