+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    My employer encourages us to use up to 3 days a year of personal (ie. sick) leave for "wellness days". It can be for non-urgent medical appointments (eg. optom or dentist), or just plain "Ferris" days. You do have to organise it in advance, though. In return, they expect that sick leave days are for when you're genuinely sick.
    I do this with my staff , or if they have had a stressful week I'll tell them to go home early - if much rather they take the time to re-energise and come back better the next day than have them working when they are not really focusing

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I honestly don't care if they are or aren't. I get 10 days paid sick leave a year. It's accruable. I get replaced by a casual if I call in sick. Most people are respectful and give enough notice for a replacement to be arranged.

I work in a high stress high acuity medical environment. If you're not 100% on top of your game (whether it's a mental health stress problem, a head cold or a hangover) and miss something, then that can cause someone becoming very sick or possibly dying.

Calling in sick because you don't think you'll be able to work compentently that day is much better than the alternative of moping around, doing a half assed job and something horrible happening as a result of it.

I've done shifts with people who obviously have something going on in their personal lives causing immense stress and it's absolute sh!t. It all gets taken out on their colleagues (snapping at people etc) or worse the patients and everyone would be in aggreance that they shouldn't have come to work and called in sick if they're at such a point that they're not coping.

Also no one else wants your cold germs (including the patients), so stay at home!
    This! We had a lady this week who is having a tough time at home. She stuffed up big time at work. I mean someone almost died stuff up. She is not sick medically but just emotionally very very sad. She should have had the day off as she is a liability.

I had a day off 2 weeks ago as I was not coping with dh being away. I called in and said I was not coming in as I was sad and to use my sick leave. My mates sent me flowers at home and I went for a movie/lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but why is this an issue? What difference does it make?
    -Making conversation
    - Curious as to whether employers have a specific unique leave type to cover things such as a break in (eg some employers give you special leave if you are faced with a natural disaster such as a bushfire so it doesn't come off your annual leave).
    - Curious as to how personal/sick leave is utilized across different employers. Eg imo pers/sick leave should be able to be used for more than just when you have a cold (eg sick kids, house burgeled etc). However I do think general recharge time should come off your own annual leave credits. It's a rort to use sick leave to do social things for yourself.
    Last edited by VicPark; 21-08-2014 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I honestly don't care if they are or aren't. I get 10 days paid sick leave a year. It's accruable. I get replaced by a casual if I call in sick. Most people are respectful and give enough notice for a replacement to be arranged.

I work in a high stress high acuity medical environment. If you're not 100% on top of your game (whether it's a mental health stress problem, a head cold or a hangover) and miss something, then that can cause someone becoming very sick or possibly dying.

Calling in sick because you don't think you'll be able to work compentently that day is much better than the alternative of moping around, doing a half assed job and something horrible happening as a result of it.

I've done shifts with people who obviously have something going on in their personal lives causing immense stress and it's absolute sh!t. It all gets taken out on their colleagues (snapping at people etc) or worse the patients and everyone would be in aggreance that they shouldn't have come to work and called in sick if they're at such a point that they're not coping.

Also no one else wants your cold germs (including the patients), so stay at home!
    Fair points. In an ideal world you would have more manageable hours and sufficient annual/rest leave to ensure you were on your game. Too much to ask for I suppose?....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Fair points. In an ideal world you would have more manageable hours and sufficient annual/rest leave to ensure you were on your game. Too much to ask for I suppose?....
    It probably is in the medical game . A nurse who works full time in a hospital setting is mostly required to work 6 days straight and then has two off. So it doesn't take long to get tired and stressed . I refuse to work full time for this reason, most of the staff on our ward do. It's very stressful working in our field. And yes absences are common, there is always someone off sick.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (22-08-2014)

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Not uncommon to have to work 9 in a row the way our full time rosters go.. Very easy to get burnt out. Or when you get rostered night shift, one day off back on early shift.. Yeah im not actually sick but no way I can work tired and guarantee I wont make a mistake

Sent from my GT-S6102 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseAnni View Post
    Yep. Not uncommon to have to work 9 in a row the way our full time rosters go.. Very easy to get burnt out. Or when you get rostered night shift, one day off back on early shift.. Yeah im not actually sick but no way I can work tired and guarantee I wont make a mistake

Sent from my GT-S6102 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That roster is crap!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (22-08-2014)

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have to admit at the start of the thread I wasn't sure what exactly we were talking about with " mental health days" and I think it depends on your employment conditions or award.
    E.g at work, we accrue 10 personal leave days per year. Personal leave is sick leave or carers leave. Of those 10, 5 can be taken without evidence (med cert) so to me, that leave is for mental health, wellness, tiredness or any other leave where you don't need a certificate but can't face work that day.
    I agree that it was confusing because so many people use the term to just to have a day off - not for their mental health, just because.
    However, if you are not up to work, exhaustion, just can't face it, overworked, to me that's exactly what personal leave is for and you should use it if you need!
    I probably used to be one of the people giving mental health days a bad name. I used to make sure I used my 5 days a year without evidence no matter what. Id take one regularly with nothing wrong with me. Not anymore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do sometimes when I need a break!

We do crazy hours, 10p-6a, 11p-7a, 8p-4a & quick shifts so you feel like a yoyo ! I've been doing these shifts for about 7 years now & I am exhausted! Oh & the overtime put on top of that too so every now & then I need to take a day off just to feel normal & not like a zombie !