+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Return of AF damaging my supply?

So around a week ago my supply seemed to drop off for no reason. This was really new to me as I'd always had enough milk for 2 or 3 children. I began taking fenugreek but I've still had to top up DS at a couple of feeds with some previously expressed milk from my freezer stash. But this was mainly a afternoon/evening problem.
    Yesterday afternoon AF returned. DS is only 19 weeks old! So I guess my questions are
    -isn't 19 weeks a bit early?
    -did anyone's else's supply drop off when their AF returned?
    -what did you do about it?
    -did you get your supply back?

and most importantly
    -is the end of my breastfeeding journey?

i went to the health food shop today and got some brewers yeast to make lactation smoothies with but with the fenugreek and smoothies will this be enough or do I need to do more? I should mention DS feeds every 2.5 -3 hours during the day and once overnight and I pump both breasts till empty every night before I go to sleep. I so upset, I'm not ready to stop feeding him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My AF returned when DS1 was about 7 months old. He was very fussy at the breast for a few days before it returned and apparently it can alter the taste. I can't remember if I had a drop in supply or not, but I continued feeding and he still wanted to feed so it wasn't too much of a problem. He fed until he was almost 2 (and during that time I also fell pregnant again and was then feeding my second son).

I would just keep up with your feeding and if you are feeding regularly it should also keep boost your supply.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (19-08-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My supply ebbed when my period returned too, it's pretty normal from what I have read. When your period returns is really an individual thing, I had DS1 in September and had my first period in December and was pregnant in February, I fed him until he was almost 3yrs. Everyone is different I never bothered with trying to build up my supply when it ebbed, it always came back on it's own when my period finished up with just normal feeding. Just keep an eye on bubs nappies, that will give you a good indication as to if he is getting enough milk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    -isn't 19 weeks a bit early?
    I had my first period when dd was 5 weeks old and then every 4.5 weeks from there on. All this despite demand feeding - it definitely happens!

-did anyone's else's supply drop off when their AF returned?
    Yes always a few days leading up to my period and then by the second day was fine. So about 4 days of fussiness each month.

-what did you do about it?
    Not much you can do. Just demand feed, skin to skin, pop your DS on when you can during those fussy days, take care of your nipples if they are sensitive

-did you get your supply back?
    Yep no worries there! Your feeding should be by supply and demand now as you have had a well and truly established supply prior.

-is the end of my breastfeeding journey?

No definitely not, it's just a small hump that you'll need to push through each month but hopefully things will pick back up to normal within a few days of your period. We are still feeding now and I'm 17 weeks pregnant with number 2 and dd is 8 months old.

Will add: be careful if you don't want another bub too soon hehe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for the replies ladies! I feel little more relieved now. I was pulling my hair out thinking my supply was going to dry up! You see what I didn't mention is that I've had more counts of mastitis then I can count (no exaggeration) and that had an effect on my supply numerous times but I always fought and made a comeback. Then DS started rejecting my right breast quite frequently so that has really dwindled my supply and now that side makes only a small amount of milk everyday. I'm trying to increase it but it's not going too well. So that leaves my poor left to do all the work. When that supply dropped I absolutely lost my shiz over it. Breastfeeding has been so incredibly stressful for me but I absolutely love it. After having fought so hard I didn't want to be beaten so easily. So after your reassuring words I'm hoping all goes back to normal pretty soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    So it would appear that my supply has not picked up again. We are still struggling and my frozen 'boob juice mountain' in the freezer is rapidly getting smaller and smaller. We saw the GP today as I wanted a script for motilium. I'm so devastated. Doctor believes it is too late for the tablets to likely help as my period has already returned. She must have felt sorry for me as she gave me the script to try anyway. The most upsetting part is though is that she is now concerned about DS weight. She believes he's not gained enough weight.

I've been starving my child!?!? 😩

I now have appointments upon appointments to track his weight and growth. I have never felt like such a failure in my life. My body has failed me and I have failed my son. I just don't know how it came to this. One minute I could feed 2 children the next I'm starving my only one? 😥

Doctor has recommended topping up with formula so i guess it's mix feeding land for me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but from my experience GPs know very little about motilium for breastfeeding. Generally they prescribe 1tablet 3 times a day. Start with this, but you may need more to EBF. Google "breastfeeding Dr Jack Newman", he has lots of info on boosting supply including breast compression, pumping regimen, motilium dosage etc.

With my first baby, when I finally got a motilium script I felt like such a failure. However time gave me the perspective that I did everything I could and that's what matters. With my 2nd I was on it from day 4 and quite happy to have it as a tool in my kit to help me reach my breastfeeding goals.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having your period back will have no impact on how the motillium works. I agree with stretched that the dose is normally wrong - definitely look up Jack Newman. Good luck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    AF returned for me immediately despite exclusively demand feeding. DD is still breastfed and doing well. I do notice she gets a little fussy leading up to AF and feeds a little more often, maybe my supply does drop? I don't know how to tell. It's defiantly not over for you though! Good luck op.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (26-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going to second stretched.
    Gps are not good at breast feeding advice or knowledge.
    I had all but lost my supply when Ds2 was 4 months as I had to hand express for 3 months. Mastitis is nasty to when expressing.
    Lactation consultant fixed us up and supply built to meet his demand.
    Take a week holiday and lay in bed. Feed all day and night when bub wants to.
    Your supply will pick up and space out as he gets filled up.
    After a week if you're still worried do a weigh in and see how you go.
    Good luck hun.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (26-08-2014)