+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't really have exact amounts for my sausage rolls as I made them up - I used to add spinach and corn to them when he was little but this is the salmon sausage rolls I do now:

Approx 2 skinless/ boneless salmon fillets either minced or just blitzed in food processor - the add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, chopped fresh chives, a squeeze if lemon juice, pepper, a tablespoon of chia seeds, an egg and then bread crumbs ( as much as you need to thicken it up as the mixture will be quite wet)

Then just make with puff pastry like normal sausage rolls, I brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds and bake until golden about 20 mins

With my crumbed "fish fingers " I blitz some wholemeal bread into crumbs in the food processor with some chia seeds, a small bunch of baby spinach leaves , lemon zest and parmesan cheese and just coat the fish fillets ( flat head tails are the best) with a normal flour and egg wash then crumb then either shallow fry in olive oil or oven bake
    Yum! Although after my fish cake effort last night I'm not entirely sure that my "creations" will turn out quite as well as your description

Having said that, despite their very average appearance he has been eating some of the fish cakes (snapper, mash potato, zucchini, carrot, sweet corn with egg and wholemeal breadcrumbs to bind it up) so I'll count that as a win for now!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (20-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did corn and zucchini fritters today and added finely diced leftover lamb roast . This worked well and meant the girls had egg and meat .

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Corn and roast lamb - yum combination!

The little monkey happily ate some chicken rissole I got from a local butcher and squashed into finger food sized sausages. Goodness knows what was in it, but I might have a crack at making some at home. What's the bet that without the msg laden seasoning, mum's rissoles won't be as exciting? I've never made rissoles before so this is all a learning curve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha! I know what you mean about them liking the rubbish versions best. Along that line, I'm going to try my girls on some sausage rolls for lunch today. They are home made ones but still not a healthy version. I have some in the freezer from a party I cooked for. But I don't want to go ahead and spend time making a better version until I know they'll give it a go! So I'll try these and see if it works

I made pizza for them for the first time and this was good. They ate it well. I just grated a heap of veg, microwaved it for a couple of minutes, threw it on a home made base with finely diced cooked chicken, tomato base and cheese. Girls ate it well and didn't notice the chicken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow. I hadn't even thought of pizza. Goodness knows why not because it's a great idea. Pizza would be good to cut into fingers and he loves melted cheese. And we can share one with him with more enthusiasm than his other meals at the moment.

Did you use a really thin base?

I'll probably have to skip the tomato paste which I usually put on the base as tomato seems to be food enemy number 1 at the moment, so I'm open any suggestions on getting the veggies and chicken (or salmon!) to stick to the base? I might try chicken, avocado and cheese for a start I wonder if there is such a thing as low salt BBQ sauce? I doubt it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about mashed pumpkin as your base? Yes I used a really thin base. I have a bread maker so I make the dough in that and use half wholemeal flour too.

The sausage rolls were a huge hit with one of my twins. The other one didn't mind them and ate some too. So it looks like I'll be making a healthy version to put in the freezer. I used to make one with turkey mince and veg. I figure that will be better than the sausage meat. I'll have to find my recipe.

Another thing I find they eat is tuna (or fresh fish) mornay. I steam and mash a heap of cauliflower in this, as well as adding carrot, peas, corn, cheese, chopped boiled eggs and pasta.

Today I'm dragging out some spaghetti bolognaise i made for them a while ago. I have a feeling it won't be eaten though. Mince has never been popular with the girls....

Any ideas for hiding lamb in recipes??? We have a hobby farm so we have our own meat but lamb is tricky when they are a bit thingy about meat!
    Last edited by NAT2561; 22-08-2014 at 06:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great that the sausage rolls were a hit. Hopefully the girls bring the same enthusiasm to a healthy version

I'm buying some turkey mince tomorrow to have a crack at sausage rolls. Maybe some mini rissoles. Turkey has a bit more iron than chicken. I'll be interested to hear how yours go

I was thinking for lamb of grating up some cooled roast (rump?) and then add it to a bubble and squeak type meal with potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, corn, eggs all mashed up together and baked in some cheese topping.

It's a shame that all these tempting toddler foods are pretty high input/prep time for cooking numpties like me, especially whilst having to wrangle little ones. I can't wait until he will be happy to eat steak and salad...

The little guy is cutting 2 top molars so it doesn't help in being able to tell if he doesn't like a meal or is just being bothered by him gums at the moment. The plan is to try stuff I can feed to DH or the dog if junior rejects it. The weird thing is that he's obsessed with eating sudocream at the moment. It's hard not to insulted when he turns his nose up at something I've lovingly prepared, thinking it must be less appealing than a tub of zinc oxide cream...
    Last edited by clbj; 22-08-2014 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha! Maybe that's the problem...he's lacking zinc. You'd better stop worrying about protein and start googling foods high in zinc!

Well my girls absolutely loved their spaghetti bolognaise today. It had been in the freezer for a few weeks because I made it and they didn't like it. I grabbed a bag out to try them on again, thinking the dog could have it for dinner anyway and they scoffed the lot! I'm so surprised.

I actually think you might be right about the teeth. I hadn't even considered this. Mine seem to be back on track with eating and their latest teeth are now through. So perhaps that was the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is 18 months & is going they this no meat phase... Tonight he are an entire sausage! Could not believe it... He only ate it cause I was dipping it in the sourcream that was on my plate from my wedges... At the moment it us #whateverworks in my house, I'm 32weeks pregnant so pick my battles, he eats veggies well & has baked beans or eggs for breaky most days so he's getting protein from those :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Ha! Maybe that's the problem...he's lacking zinc. You'd better stop worrying about protein and start googling foods high in zinc!

Well my girls absolutely loved their spaghetti bolognaise today. It had been in the freezer for a few weeks because I made it and they didn't like it. I grabbed a bag out to try them on again, thinking the dog could have it for dinner anyway and they scoffed the lot! I'm so surprised.

I actually think you might be right about the teeth. I hadn't even considered this. Mine seem to be back on track with eating and their latest teeth are now through. So perhaps that was the problem.

Haha! Foods high in zinc are red meat :P maybe oysters?

I'm thinking about putting out a livestock salt and mineral lick block to see if he'll eat/lick that...

Poor hound missing out on spag bog. Although the girls probably dropped enough to keep him happy? Our dog is fussy with food but loves spag bog. He'd be devastated if he missed out because the baby ate it all.

Don't you love the "what will they eat today" guessing game? I've been offering him kiwi fruit with his daily fruit smorgasbord regularly at home for weeks with very little success. Yesterday he went nuts for one at daycare. The carer told me and was amazed that it was the first time he had eaten it properly. He ate 2 today and grizzled when it was gone.
    Last edited by clbj; 22-08-2014 at 23:05.