+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hidden meat recipe ideas

I've seen some great hidden veggie recipes on here so thought I'd ask for some wisdom for a different problem.

12 month old DS has decided he's not a fan of beef and lamb any more. Previously it was a favourite and he would happily chomp on a cutlet or strip of cooked beef. Alas, no more and he's also started to carry on when I offer any red meat mixed in with veggies (again, which he used to enjoy). I'm not entirely sure if the taste, texture or both.

I'm keen to keep persisting because of the benefits from iron, zinc, B12 and protein.

Any ideas for some tried and tested red meat recipes for a reluctant toddler? Happy for finger food or spoon options.

He seems especially annoyed when there is tomato included, so anything avoiding tomato, tomato paste etc in the same meal would be awesome, at least for now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm interested in this as my 15m old doesn't seem to like meat. I think it's the texture. And he likes tomato but it gives him a rash

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really have any meat tips, but I think there is heaps of protein in legumes and I've found my kids (at this age) love lentils, chick peas, kidney beans, etc and easy to add to any normal meat recipe :-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

clbj  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's quite common at that age to avoid red meat because of the texture and taste ( my DS was the same) but don't forget to try fish , salmon is the best but any white fish they should like as it does not have a strong flavour - great for protein and small amounts of iron - make your own fish fingers or fish nuggets and I do crab cakes - crab is loaded with b12 as is octopus and mussels ( b12 easily stores in the body do you don't need it daily) my DS would choose crab burgers over normal hamburgers every time!

Black strap molasses has the highest iron content of any food ( all health food shops stock it ) so I brush that over roast veggies or add to soups , quinoa has iron and protein as do chia seeds and eggs are great for everything!

I kept offering red meat but it wasn't until he turned 3 that he started really liking it again ( he only has red meat usually once a week anyway)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

clbj  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It's quite common at that age to avoid red meat because of the texture and taste ( my DS was the same) but don't forget to try fish , salmon is the best but any white fish they should like as it does not have a strong flavour - great for protein and small amounts of iron - make your own fish fingers or fish nuggets and I do crab cakes - crab is loaded with b12 as is octopus and mussels ( b12 easily stores in the body do you don't need it daily) my DS would choose crab burgers over normal hamburgers every time!

Black strap molasses has the highest iron content of any food ( all health food shops stock it ) so I brush that over roast veggies or add to soups , quinoa has iron and protein as do chia seeds and eggs are great for everything!

I kept offering red meat but it wasn't until he turned 3 that he started really liking it again ( he only has red meat usually once a week anyway)
    Cheers for that. I'm using a fortified cereal and try and use fortified bread for meals with bread/crumbs. Luckily he is addicted to rusks at the moment and they are fortified too. He will eat an avocado a day given the chance and that's another mg or so of iron. I can sneak eggs in too at the moment, but they are a bit hit and miss. He eats a reasonable amount of green veggies, but probably not enough to make up the difference.

I hadn't thought of molasses, so thanks for that. I'm sure it makes a lovely caramelised coating on roast veg.

I'm trying to encourage more salmon. He's not that keen at the moment, but I'll try some fish cakes and slowly increase the fish content. Thanks for the recipe on the other thread. Any ideas for a nice salmon sausage roll recipe? They might be good for snacks whilst out and about. I'm going to attempt fish fingers with white fish, egg, crumbs. I may be hitting you up for that too is they are a disaster!
    Last edited by clbj; 18-08-2014 at 20:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going through a little bit of the same with our 13 month old girls. Today we made tuna Patties. (mashed potato, spring onion, veg, tuna, crumbed) They liked those a lot and got a fair bit of fish into them.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosey01 View Post
    I don't really have any meat tips, but I think there is heaps of protein in legumes and I've found my kids (at this age) love lentils, chick peas, kidney beans, etc and easy to add to any normal meat recipe :-)

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Cheers! I've just bought some lentils and on the look out for some no added salt bean mix for a bean casserole

I've also just bought some quinoa. No idea what I'm going to do with it, but it's looking very wholesome and superfoodish in the pantry!
    Last edited by clbj; 18-08-2014 at 20:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    We are going through a little bit of the same with our 13 month old girls. Today we made tuna Patties. (mashed potato, spring onion, veg, tuna, crumbed) They liked those a lot and got a fair bit of fish into them.

I'm about to go try some now I'm thinking carrot and zucchini with potato and some dory I have here. Will try salmon if that's a success.

Isn't it good to hear you are not alone? I thought maybe my cooking had "broken" his eating, even though I know deep down they all go through fussy stages.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we usually use fresh caught fish but hubby hasn't been fishing for a while, so tinned is okay.

Our girls have always eaten everything and it's only really recent that they've gone a bit fussy with meat. It comes and goes but it seems to be the texture.

They like ham still. It isn't ideal but I do give it to them sometimes. Also scrambled eggs mixed with their mashed veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Cheers for that. I'm using a fortified cereal and try and use fortified bread for meals with bread/crumbs. Luckily he is addicted to rusks at the moment and they are fortified too. He will eat an avocado a day given the chance and that's another mg or so of iron. I can sneak eggs in too at the moment, but they are a bit hit and miss. He eats a reasonable amount of green veggies, but probably not enough to make up the difference.

I hadn't thought of molasses, so thanks for that. I'm sure it makes a lovely caramelised coating on roast veg.

I'm trying to encourage more salmon. He's not that keen at the moment, but I'll try some fish cakes and slowly increase the fish content. Thanks for the recipe on the other thread. Any ideas for a nice salmon sausage roll recipe? They might be good for snacks whilst out and about. I'm going to attempt fish fingers with white fish, egg, crumbs. I may be hitting you up for that too is they are a disaster!
    I don't really have exact amounts for my sausage rolls as I made them up - I used to add spinach and corn to them when he was little but this is the salmon sausage rolls I do now:

Approx 2 skinless/ boneless salmon fillets either minced or just blitzed in food processor - the add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, chopped fresh chives, a squeeze if lemon juice, pepper, a tablespoon of chia seeds, an egg and then bread crumbs ( as much as you need to thicken it up as the mixture will be quite wet)

Then just make with puff pastry like normal sausage rolls, I brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds and bake until golden about 20 mins

With my crumbed "fish fingers " I blitz some wholemeal bread into crumbs in the food processor with some chia seeds, a small bunch of baby spinach leaves , lemon zest and parmesan cheese and just coat the fish fillets ( flat head tails are the best) with a normal flour and egg wash then crumb then either shallow fry in olive oil or oven bake

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

clbj  (22-08-2014)