+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild_flower View Post
    Thanks )
    I get ideas from the Coles magazines but I always find the Coles 10$ meals to always cost more then 10$
    so true and the portion sizes are too small to feed my hubby so I end up having to buy more meat etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes I find it easy also to buy frozen veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, grean beans. at 3$ a bag for half a kilo. You just take what you need and rest goes back in freezer, no wastage and snap frozen so has all nutrients still in it unlike buying off the shelf knowing the veggies were picked a week earlier sometimes.

meal ideas:
    spag bol
    quiche or omelette
    fried rice w frozen peas, bacon pieces and fried egg on top
    jacket potato
    meat pies
    veggie soup with baguette
    bacon and egg sangas
    jaffles
    one BBQ chook for 2 nights (roast dinner + left over chook for pasta)
    breaky: one big box of weet bix at $4 will last you all week for two
    lunch: sandwiches
    desert: 2l tub of coles ice cream at $2.90 - sometimes with coles apple pies yum

have a look in your pantry too if you have stuff in there like rice/couscous

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes.
    im blessed enough to live in a area that's really close to a couple of "battlers supermarkets"

most of these places also have FRESH bread, fruit, veggies and milk supplied and pass on to patrons for free or for a nominal amount eg $1 for a bag of potatoes. They also make sure there are "treats" items like chocolate, chips, biscuits, lunch box items as well as cheap necessities eg baby wipes and sanitary pads.

My my faveourie is like a mini supermarket and you go in and shop normally. The other is you buy a hamper place for $20 and it's literally a shopping trolley full and overflowing but you don't get a choice of what's in there. It usually has a good mix of fruit and veg and also has some lovely looking cakes and slices but as my son has a lot of food intolerances I prefer the first one as I have more control over what I take home.

i normally shop at the battlers supermarket first then pop to the iga after to top up of things that I didn't get and I manage to feed three adults one child (and one of the adults Is pregnant) for under $100/week.

The menu is largely dependant on what was available but having cooking know how helps eg if they selling large bags if strawberries, make jam or coulis to freeze for future yoghurts. Big bags of tomatoes use them in sandwiches, wraps, toasted sandwiches, make a sauce to add to a chicken breast to make that go further. All about being creative which what you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our food shopping this week was $54 for 2 adults and a 14month old. I always check out the reduced meat when I have slightly more money to play with. If there are things that are 1/2 price or better I buy them and freeze them. Won't need to buy meat for a few weeks now :-)
    Frozen veg is cheaper than fresh (and actually usually much fresher cause it's frozen generally straight away)
    Buying bulk lots of chicken breasts on special and then cooking, shredding and freezing them is cheaper than buying sandwich meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check the fish counter at woollies - you can get a piece (or a couple) with a sauce in a bag that you just stick in the oven. Can work out quite cheap depending on what fish you go for

Thanks
    Reviews
    As crazy as it sounds, buy a half leg of lamb when it's on special. Do the roast veges etc from scratch & use the leftover roast to make a curry the next night. Yummo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely!

We use the slow cooker for cheaper cuts of meat - like beef brisket or osso bucco or lamb shoulder. The leftovers make great pasta, curry, or pie (which is so cheap if you can make your own pastry). I once took slow-cooked beef cheeks and made three meals out of it: the original slow cooked meat with gravy potato and veg, some meat mixed with canned tomatoes to make a ragu pasta sauce (and once I made ravioli with the meat as the filling that was super labour intensive!), and the rest of the leftover meat was mixed with potatoes, carrots, peas and the gravy to make a pie filling. It was pretty delicious and didn't feel like we were skimping or eating the same meal 3 times!

Jamie Oliver's "Save with Jamie" has really good ideas for things like this.

There are many ways of getting fruits and veg cheaply. Many markets, for example, will start selling bags of stuff for $1 at the end of the day (which is usually around 2pm). But even supermarkets have things on special because they are in season so always work with that.

Also buying meat in bulk and freezing in smaller portions helps bring down the weekly bill. Especially if you have somewhere like Costco (which we don't... I totally miss Costco!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading this post is great. However my shopping is always around $160

But we buy lots of fruit and veg, milk, ham, baby formula, it's a joke.

My meals always last 2 days so its a joke to be honest how it mounts up.

My mother says Adelaide is more expensive than melbourne.

Has anyone found a difference with areas? States? Etc

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can you feed two adults dinner on.....

My stingiest meal is a jar of pasta sauce, and some pasta. No meat at all. This was a staple in my diet when I was a vegetarian. If you're feeling like pulling out all the stops, chuck in some onion,garlic,carrot and celery. Most of the time I just went with the pasta and sauce. Not lazy at all :P

Eta just saw that he doesn't like tomato sauce bases. He needs to go. Haha
    Last edited by poisonapple; 25-03-2015 at 21:28.