+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Always waking at 5am!

DS is almost 5 mths and for a couple of months now has been waking at around 5am every day. He goes back to sleep only after I replace his dummy 4 or 5 times. By this stage dd is awake. He goes to bed at 6 and we start the day at around 6am.

Some background info:
    He's usually fed once during the night around 1am. Sometimes I feed him at 4 as well and he still wakes at 5 so it's not hunger.

I don't think he's cold he still wakes when the house is heated.

There's no noise at that time of day.

His nappy is changed earlier in the night so it's not too wet.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting him to sleep past 5? I'm not against letting him cry for a few mins but I'm worried he won't go back to sleep at all.
    I can't keep starting the day at 5! Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No help but that's the usual in my place..... Been like this 4yrs now.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Same here too, I'm afraid, Mine have always been up with the birds, and I didn't find that they slept later if I put them to bed later, so we go with it now. In under 2 months 5am will become 6am when daylight savings kicks in. A small bonus : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our two are roosters also. Sorry OP. Is isn't all that fun bit nothing much you can do about it mostly.
    Ds has always woken up before 6am or earlier since I can remember. Thankfully he is almost 8 and now gets himself ready for the day and reads or lays quietly until I get up and make breaky. So this was easier to cope with on Sunday morning when that extra 15min is golden.

Dd has settled into her own routine since about 5/6mths. She goes to bed at around 7 and sleeps through till 5. She stirs and makes little noises which we try to ignore until about 5.30 when DF is up for work, he gives her a bottle and puts her back in her cot to play while I shower etc. So most days we are all up and showered ready for breaky by 6am. Then I have a giant cup of coffee.
    : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    ...Then I have a giant cup of coffee.
    : )
    Hahah! I love this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one here who has an early riser. 5.30am is a good day. We tried lots of things but nothing worked. That's just when he is ready to wake up. We are going to Bali soon and I am dreading the time difference already! Sorry I can't be of more help OP - hopefully someone might chime in soon with some suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little man has just started waking now between 5-5.30am. It's awful! lol. I blame the sunshine. Sometimes he will go back to sleep if I give him the dummy, but usually I get up and play with him for an hour and a half then we both go back to bed. He falls asleep between 6.30-7pm and naps during the day fairly well, so I guess this is just to be expected.

I have wondered if blacking out the windows would make any difference. I'm just hanging out for Winter again in the meantime!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    My little man has just started waking now between 5-5.30am. It's awful! lol. I blame the sunshine. Sometimes he will go back to sleep if I give him the dummy, but usually I get up and play with him for an hour and a half then we both go back to bed. He falls asleep between 6.30-7pm and naps during the day fairly well, so I guess this is just to be expected.

I have wondered if blacking out the windows would make any difference. I'm just hanging out for Winter again in the meantime!
    Oh you poor thing, the early starts are so hard! I would definitely try blacking out the windows if possible. And maybe white noise if the birds are up early and could be waking him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Another one here who has an early riser. 5.30am is a good day. We tried lots of things but nothing worked. That's just when he is ready to wake up. We are going to Bali soon and I am dreading the time difference already! Sorry I can't be of more help OP - hopefully someone might chime in soon with some suggestions
    Funnily enough the change from Bali time back to Aus time cured our early waker!! Since we got back DS sleeps until 6-6.30am about 80% of the time. So bizarre since nothing else we did worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Sorry mine is up at 5 or 530 too. Tried everything and now I just accept that we are up at 530 every day. I'm just looking forward to the end of daylight saving!