+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Your local child health centre has free lactation consultants you just need to phone to book it in. we had the same issue - my daughter couldn't latch without one for the first couple of months. Apparently her latch was too small to take the nipple in (which was also a little flat and didn't help). But after about 6-7 weeks she latched on like a champ and we've never looked back. Definitely get some free LC help too to assist with working on your latch. All the best and hang in there!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dh & I decided the cost is worth it if it helps with breastfeeding, so I have an appointment with an ibclc on friday.

Ive seen the free ones & didnt find them very good.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was using nipple shields practically from birth because of nipple damage and attachment issues. I agree it was very hard attaching her without her knocking it off.. I don't have any advice for you there unfortunately.
    But regarding coming off the nipple shields.. i found something called the 'hamburger hold'. It's where you kind of hold your breast like a sandwich, so that you can compress it a bit to fit into their mouths and it really helped my LO latch on. For weeks she couldn't latch on and one day I just tried it and all of a sudden she could, with a little help from the 'sandwiching'. It still took us another few weeks to get okay at it, but I was just sooo happy to not have to use the shields any more.
    Also, if you are in WA your local child health nurse should be able to get you in contact with one of their free LCs. They covered a large area so there was a huge wait to see them but it didn't cost anything.
    Just keep trying mumma, hoping you find something that works for you x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybelly90 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (21-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was also using nipple shields, as my nipples were very flat and DD had a receding chin and tongue tie. We used them until she was at least 12 weeks I think. I still remember the amazing lightbulb moment when she realised that milk came from boobs without nipple shields on too. Definitely attempt it part way through a feed because they've had some milk so they aren't so frantic. It took a few tries and I had to express some milk into her mouth and eventually she decided to go for it. It was magical

Best of luck with it, never give up

Cheers

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-xkwzit For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (21-08-2014),HeavenBlue  (20-08-2014)