+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for nipple shields

Any tips for preventing baby from throwing his head around at the breast? Basically I'll put the nipple shield on & get ds into position & then as im about to attach him, he starts throwing his head around, rubbing his face on my breast & burying his head into my breast - meaning the nipple shield goes flying, the milk in it goes everywhere, ds starts screaming for food etc. Of course half the time the shield ends up on the floor so I have to put another one on & nine times out of ten the same thing happens again. He does it during feeds as well, not only at the start. Its frustrating & its making feeding even more stressful. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I has the exact same problem! Was sick of DS knocking it off with his hands and getting covered in milk. Not sure why you are using the shield but for me it was due to my small nipples and DS's small latch. In the end I would remove the shield mid feed once my nipple had been sucked out a bit, eventually I was able to ditch them. No other advice sorry - good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (18-08-2014),HeavenBlue  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to hold the nipple shield down with my pointer finger and middle finger (in a v like a 'peace' sign upside down) until baby was attached. If that makes sense? My boy did the same and wouldn't attach straight away and would knock the shield off and milk would be running everywhere! Once he was attached he was generally alright though so I would hold the shield down and just wait til he bobbed around and then when he attached and had been sucking for a bit I would move my fingers out of the way.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (18-08-2014),HeavenBlue  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im trying to hold it on but I usually need 1 hand to hold ds & one hand to attach him, so its really hard. I just seem to be fighting ds to get him to attach, he'd rather thrash his head around I have no idea why & its really frustrating

Im on shields because initially my nipples were all cut up & bleeding. Now they are healed but ds just doesnt know how to attach without them so I think im stuck with the horrible things forever

Last edited by heartstringz; 18-08-2014 at 03:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Your not stuck with them forever! I was using shields for the same reasons OP. Eventually once we found our groove and some routine I started doing what Laurs said and pull them off once feeding. The step after that was attempting to get him to latch without the shield every feed a couple of times until we got that right. Now we haven't looked back! You will get there. Just work on the current problem. I agree with the comment above about using two fingers in a v to hold it in place. I used to get DS in position. I would then put the shield on AFTER he was laying down comfortably and then hold it. I would then use the shield just like a nipple and touch his lips to make him open up and pop it in whilst continuing to hold on until he had gotten enough suction going to keep the shield in place. I don't know how old your bub is but I hope that was some kind of help. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ill try putting them on after, although he pulls off & thrashes around throughout the feed as well & if im not ready for him it just goes flying

He doesnt know how to attach without the shields. He's never known how to attach & no-one ever helprd me teach him - at the hospital thr midwives just shoved him on for the 3 days I was there until my nipples were bleeding & then I came home with nipple shields which ive used ever since - he's 6 weeks old. Ive tried removing it during the feed but he has no idea what to do so he just screams

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Like I said. Don't dismay. My son relied on them till he was 3 months old! You'll work out your groove.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (18-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Keep at it, as Heavenblue said you are not necessarily stuck with them forever. I spent $80 to go and see a private lactation consultant to check out DS's latch once I had managed to ditch the shield and I am so glad I did as it was very helpful. If you are in a position to do so I would recommend seeing someone to assist you as I know how frustrating it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The private lc's are just so expensive. Dh is going to call up today & find out if any of it is covered by our private health insurance, otherwise we'll have to sit down & work out if we can afford it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey heartstringz, my local qld health mchn clinic had a free LC. Might be worth giving your nearest ones a call.