+ Reply to Thread
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Dropping to one day sleep

When does it usually happen?

DS is 9 months old and usually has 2 sleeps a day, one around 9:30 and one around 2pm, but lately his morning sleep has been later and longer (2-2.5 hours) at around 10:30am and he hasn't been tired enough for his afternoon nap until 3:30-4. The problem with that is if he sleeps then, even if it is only for 20 minutes, he won't go to sleep for bed until 8:30-9. So I am thinking it might be time to consolidate and move his big nap to around 11am to see him through to night time, but I am not sure if 9 months is too young? All the babies I nanny for didn't go to 1 sleep until past one I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! This sounds like what my DD did. She was just 1 year old when she went from 2 to 1. She used to nap at 9 and 1 but I was finding her 9am nap would only last 45 mins instead of 2-2.5 like it usually did. Once I moved her to 11am, she would sleep about 3 hours and then her bedtime was 6/6.30. She stayed on this routine for nearly a year!

Sounds like you're little one is ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like your ds is ready. It's earlier than a lot of babies but I wouldn't worry about that. Just go with it. He may just need an earlier bed time for a while so it's not too long from waking from nap til bed time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you think I should just try putting him down later or persist for a week with his usual times and see how we go?

He is still getting the same amount of sleep though, it's just consolidated

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's probably a good idea to stay with his usual times for another week. My DS was a bit all over the place for a bit. Just when I thought he might be ready to move to 1 sleep he seemed to need 2. I think until they can stay awake til 11-11:30 they really need 2 sleeps. If after a week its not working then just move to 1 sleep but try pushing it out to 11am. I used to take DS outside or give him lunch to keep him occupied in that last hour when he was getting tired and then he would go down for 2 hours or more. And make sure we weren't in the pram or car after 10:30 otherwise he'd fall asleep but only for a short nap. It took about a month of that before he was able to comfortably stay awake til 11am and now he's 16months and goes down around 11:30-12. Sometimes they just seem to be testing things out before returning happily to the usual schedule

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today he was clockwork and went down at 9:30, and 2, and bed at 7:15. Haha! Little monkey!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (19-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest keeping two sleeps till after they start walking. They will use a lot more energy then and one u drop a sleep it's very hard to go back