Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow.. What a story! Waiting to see what happened next xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh wow I completely lost it when they called a code blue, so glad you are both ok, it sounded completely terrifying.

I had a prem in nicu at KEMH in 1994 bloody brilliant they are xxxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    I had a prem in nicu at KEMH in 1994 bloody brilliant they are xxxxx
    So your little prem is now twenty? My KEMH nicu boy is a few months off three - twenty seems like a world away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How terrifying and traumatic - how awful for all 3 of you. I will eagerly await the next instalment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for sharing your story GM, so glad to hear that you and your little girl are healthy what an amazing team you had around you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    So your little prem is now twenty? My KEMH nicu boy is a few months off three - twenty seems like a world away!
    DS2 was 20 in April, it really doesn't seem like that long ago, when I read OPs post, it brought all the King Eddie memories back. Dr Norman delivered him when she was pretty much just out of school. Lol that's how long ago it was

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (15-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for sharing @GM01. It is great to finally hear your story after all the wonderful help you gave me, while I was stuck on bed rest wondering if my bleeding would stop. Now that I have read your story, I'm really pleased that you never actually told me the details at the time.

Wishing you all the best for the safe delivery of your next bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What an experience. Its so suspenseful to read it in so much detail. Thanks for sharing, look forward to reading the rest of your journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You write very well, I can't wait to read the rest.

What a terrifying situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Part Two:

When back on the ward DH and I lie/sit there in shock.. I was very groggy and I tell DH it's best that he goes home and gets some sleep as it was quite late by that point, so he does.

I had my OBs checked very regularly and drifted in and out of sleep overnight, vomiting a few times as I had eaten only a couple of hours before the GA. I remember really struggling to get comfortable, not being able to roll myself over. I had a self administered pain management pump in my hand IV and used it a few times. I was given lots of IV fluids (no blood transfusion required thanks to my haemachromatosis which is usually managed by therapeutic venesection, but not whilst pregnant) and by morning my BP was reasonable.

In the morning I called me best friend to tell her I'd had DD, she says that I was groggy but so calm, she couldn't believe what had happened, I'm fairly certain at that point I didn't believe it either!

My mum came in early and DH was coming in later than morning. I ate a few bites of toast and a midwife came to see me with the breast pump and explained how to use it. I gave it a few minutes but wasn't very interested at that point, I hadn't even met DD yet and wasn't sure what the process of pumping and feeding EBM over the coming months would involve.

A little later the midwives said I could have my catheter removed, so I had that out and got up for the first time mid-morning, and was taken down in a wheelchair to meet DD for the first time, probably close to 16 hours after she was born at this point.

When I saw her I instantly started sobbing and telling her I was sorry, over and over. I don't think any amount of shock could have dulled the emotion of that moment, it was intense. She was unimaginably tiny and hooked up to so many monitors and IV pumps. She had a pneumothorax (collapsed lung) and had an ICC chest drain inserted. She had so much going on she couldn't go in a humidicrib, she had to stay on the resuss warmer bed which was covered with glad wrap to keep the heat in so it could be used for a longer period than normal.

One of DD's doctors came over to see me and explained a few things, almost none of which I can remember. I do remember asking what I needed to give consent for and what they would just do out of necessity.. I felt as her mum I should have been doing something, even if it was just saying 'yes' to all of her medical team.

DH made his way in after getting some rest, sorting out our dogs and house and making a few calls. We spent the rest of the day between DD's bedside and my room, trying to learn how to express and use the breast pump and trying to process everything. We updated friends and posted a photo of DD on Facebook. The most common comment on the photo was congratulations, and we couldn't understand why.. surely if anyone actually comprehended the situation they wouldn't be offering congratulations. We had no idea if DD was here for hours, days or forever at that stage.

DD wasn't weighed for a couple of days and had a urinary catheter inserted for a period so that she didn't have to be moved any more than necessary. We celebrated her being 24 hours old, then 50 hours and eventually her ICC drain was removed and she was moved to a humidicirb. She was still ventilated and unable to start feeds, but it was the first step forward and some reassurance for us.

Day three onwards at another time, soon!...

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (18-08-2014),French Pear  (16-08-2014),GingerKat  (15-08-2014),headoverfeet  (18-08-2014),Liddybugs  (16-08-2014),Mokeybear  (15-08-2014),TeamCarts  (15-08-2014)