+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time mums in western suburbs?

Hi all!!
    I'm currently nearly 39 weeks pregnant with our first baby and live close to Caroline Springs, highpoint area.
    I'm a young 29 and am so far struggling to find a mums group around my area....heavily tattooed pregnant ladies are not common round these parts! Haha
    Just wondering if there is other young cool mums having the same problem?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooedmum View Post
    Hi all!!
    I'm currently nearly 39 weeks pregnant with our first baby and live close to Caroline Springs, highpoint area.
    I'm a young 29 and am so far struggling to find a mums group around my area....heavily tattooed pregnant ladies are not common round these parts! Haha
    Just wondering if there is other young cool mums having the same problem?

Hi there. You're not far from me.
    Although I'm not pregnant, I do understand the struggles when trying to find a mother's group. I had a huge gap between my babies, my DS was 12 when my DD was born (she's now 2) and as I was a second timer I wasn't "allowed" to join the mother's group run through my maternal health centre! I definitely felt like a first time mum again (had my first at 17) and really wanted to join a group.
    Anyway, I've always just taken my daughter to the local library for story time and we've just joined a playgroup as well. I'm pretty much still a loner and still haven't made any other mummy friends with kids the same age as my DD but these days I just chug along to the activities with DD and hopefully I'll find someone in the same boat.
    Being your first baby I'm sure your maternal health nurse will hook you up with other mums in your area who have had their baby around the same time, I think that's how they work; that's what I've gathered from sitting on the sidelines watching the ladies who come to the same activities I attend with their groups.
    Good luck

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 15-08-2014 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, which hospital are you going to? Did they offer any prenatal classes? I made a great bunch of friends through those during my first pregnancy. That was way back in '99 though, not sure how they operate these days, I didn't go to prenatal classes with my second.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Also, which hospital are you going to? Did they offer any prenatal classes? I made a great bunch of friends through those during my first pregnancy. That was way back in '99 though, not sure how they operate these days, I didn't go to prenatal classes with my second.

That's so terrible you couldn't join as you weren't a first time mum!!
    I don't understand how that makes you not need a mother's group, very unfair on thier part

We did our pre natal course through tweedle in footscray as all classses at werribee hospital where I'm birthing were full, it was an all day program will 9 other couples but no one we really clicked with

Are you birthing at werribee also?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, did you birth at werribee I meant!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooedmum View Post
    Sorry, did you birth at werribee I meant!?

Yes I had my last baby there and let me tell you, the rooms are fabulous! I felt like I was staying in a little hotel room This was mid 2012 and the maternity ward renovations had just completed and it was amazing. Private rooms with double beds (your partner can stay) and gorgeous stone baby baths built into the bench.. I loved the place, haha. Especially compared to my first birth which was at the old Mercy hospital in south Melb (no longer there) and I was on a shared ward, no privacy, it was really run down and old fashioned but the Werribee Mercy is fantastic. Have you done a tour?
    Are you in the midwives group with Dr Van Dam?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Yes I had my last baby there and let me tell you, the rooms are fabulous! I felt like I was staying in a little hotel room This was mid 2012 and the maternity ward renovations had just completed and it was amazing. Private rooms with double beds (your partner can stay) and gorgeous stone baby baths built into the bench.. I loved the place, haha. Especially compared to my first birth which was at the old Mercy hospital in south Melb (no longer there) and I was on a shared ward, no privacy, it was really run down and old fashioned but the Werribee Mercy is fantastic. Have you done a tour?
    Are you in the midwives group with Dr Van Dam?

We had a tour there 3 weeks ago and it looked amazing still! The rooms and private bathrooms are exactly what I was hoping for, staff there seems lovely and I loved the privacy it offers.

We are going in through team maternity as a self funded private patient, no different to public except we are guaranteed to deal with the same 3 midwives from first appointment to delivery which is great! I felt I needed someone I had built trust with before the birth.

A friend just delivered with Dr van dam and she had nothing but praise for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    How exciting, not long now! (so clucky and wishing it was me, haha)
    Good luck with the birth and please feel free to update
    Hope all goes well for you in finding a mummy group, I'm sure your Maternal child health nurse will have some info about that stuff once bubs is born.