+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Buy the next seasons clothes when they are on sale and buy smart.
    I buy good quality clothes for DD1 as they get passed onto DD2, if i buy cheapy crap they don't last.

DS i don't buy loads for as i wash everyday so a half dozen T-shirts & shorts is enough.

I don't stick to a strict budget but i do allocate our money each week to bills and expenses. We also have a savings account that i treat as a bill that i pay each week so even if we spend all we get that week we have still put money aside.

Unfortunately living rural means we have to drive everywhere so i try and make the most of each trip rather than making multiple ones. I make notes in my phone whenever i think of something we need to do so i wont forget.

We have solar panels to help with the power bill.
    We keep chickens which are a constant egg supply plus we sell the extra eggs which in turn pays for the chicken feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can afford to be a sahm because we set ourselves up financially before we had children. Before ttc, we bought a home that needed a lot of work, but in one of the best suburbs, and slowly renovated it and paid a lot off the mortgage. We bought a few investment properties, I completed another uni degree and worked hard at my job to get promoted and earn a good salary.

After our first, I went back to work for a couple of years part time before we had our second.

Now I don't have to work, the mortgage is only about $200 per week, we don't have any other debts, have nice cars live in a great suburb and still have a few investments as back up. I could also go back to work at anytime if I needed to as I have a couple of degrees and a lot of experience. I have been approached a few times from firms asking for me to work for them.

My advice to anyone wanting to be s sahm is to set yourself up financially before having children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a SAHM feeling quite yucky dh and I have dd aged 8 years and dd aged 4 years and a ds due april 2015. We struggle and today received an email from the preschool asking us to pay $1,080 by 6 Feb 2015 dd attends two days a week. Dh asked me 30 mins to come up with the money I dont have that money if I did I would happily give it. So feeling tearful how do I raise that money in such a short space of time. Cannot ask our families. We dont have a car but hire no birds when desperate as of recent last few weeks around xmas. But preschool and school are very local good walking no probs except the heat and being pregnant. I would really appreciate anyones advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneychick View Post
    I am a SAHM feeling quite yucky dh and I have dd aged 8 years and dd aged 4 years and a ds due april 2015. We struggle and today received an email from the preschool asking us to pay $1,080 by 6 Feb 2015 dd attends two days a week. Dh asked me 30 mins to come up with the money I dont have that money if I did I would happily give it. So feeling tearful how do I raise that money in such a short space of time. Cannot ask our families. We dont have a car but hire no birds when desperate as of recent last few weeks around xmas. But preschool and school are very local good walking no probs except the heat and being pregnant. I would really appreciate anyones advice?
    Can you ask them if you can pay it off? Do you have a health care card? Would that make it cheaper?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Meal plan and learn basic cooking techniques that you can use to cook whatever ingredients you have

Buy in season and on sale and cook from scratch

Only buy clothes on sale or second hand

Buy second hand toys

Barter as much as possible

Get a veggie garden/herb garden/fruit trees

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneychick View Post
    Could you look into going to a daycare 2 x a week with a pre-school/kindy program instead? That way you could pay weekly and also get CCB and CCR.

We used long daycare with a kindy program 2 or 3 days a week right up to school as it suited my part-time working hours and DD loved it, she was very school ready and she did very well when she started formal schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyDiversion View Post
    Could you look into going to a daycare 2 x a week with a pre-school/kindy program instead? That way you could pay weekly and also get CCB and CCR.

We used long daycare with a kindy program 2 or 3 days a week right up to school as it suited my part-time working hours and DD loved it, she was very school ready and she did very well when she started formal schooling.
    she won't get the rebate because she's a sahm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    she won't get the rebate because she's a sahm
    I'm a SAHM and get the child care rebate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    I'm a SAHM and get the child care rebate?
    Well you must be training/studying, looking for work, exempt or rorting the system.