100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    Want to read this later....
    Me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poochella View Post
    First of all our mortgage is small, we owner built a kit home.
    Tell me more! Which kit? How long did it take you? Was it worth it? How much do you reckon you saved by DIY? My owner builder's permit expired, unused, last year... it's been a dream of mine for a while now so please share!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We purchased a steel kit home from wide span sheds. We built the cosy Weekender Kit 1, but with raised floor which was another 7k. You still have to buy your windows etc, it is basically just a frame with cladding. Took us about 2 years to absolute completion. Overall I think it cost us about 80k for the house but actually cost us a lot physically as hubby had a bad accident whilst building it & no insurance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to poochella For This Useful Post:

debsch  (11-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Budget everything, including fuel. So have a allocated amount of driving/trips out and stick to it.
    Cloth nappies save a bundle though you need to factor in the costs of laundering/water use.
    We do spend a lot on quality food, for health reasons we eat mainly paleo so that's a big expense, however we try to supplement from the garden and buy cheaply direct from farmers. Same goes for beef/meat - buy in bulk, worth the electricity to run the freezer - works out to around $6 p/k for all cuts when you buy a quarter or side of beef. And when we eat well there is less need for vitamins, medications and such.
    Second hand everything from car, to furniture, clothing, especially for kids - there are so many great kids clothes available cheaply.
    Don't buy much, be happy with the cheap/free things like being in the great outdoors, visiting family and friends, free playgroups and library visits.
    You get used to it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing brb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Budget!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use facebook buy swap sell sites to sell toys and clothes my children have finished with. I also buy a lot of their toys and clothes from buy, swap, sell or baby/toddler markets.
    I shop at a local market for fruit and veg and eggs. It's so much cheaper and has a ton more flavour. I bulk buy from a bulk buy butcher. i don't buy packaged sauces and now enjoy the taste of making them from scratch so much more.
    When my mum and Nan ask what they can buy the kids i am honest and tell them outright what they need/want so we don't end up with useless gifts or over abundance of tshirts when they really need pants etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (02-01-2015),Colbie  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Budget, shop at the butchers and green grocer.
    Sell things I no longer need on buy swap sell pages.
    I also started a business from a hobby making handmade headbands and hair accessories. I sell them online, do custom orders, pop up stores and I do one or two markets a month. Doing this I will not be returning to work. I do the majority of it at night when DD and DS are in bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    When my mum and Nan ask what they can buy the kids i am honest and tell them outright what they need/want so we don't end up with useless gifts or over abundance of tshirts when they really need pants etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yep this, I find it really helps to boost their wardrobes once/twice a year (Christmas and birthdays) and grandparents love to do it.