+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aldi/markets for shopping: I avoid Coles/Woolworths.

Cook things from scratch: I make my own sauces, cakes, savory slices, muesli bars, popcorn and avoid pre-packaged junk as much as possible. DH makes his own ginger beer.

Grow herbs/vegies in our garden (not a big garden, we live in suburbia)

DS rarely gets new toys unless it's his birthday/Christmas. I'm always amazed by how much stuff other kids have compared to him, but honestly he doesn't miss it. He's just spent almost an hour with a water spray bottle doing 'graffiti' on the ground.

Make the most of local parks/libraries and hanging out with friends.

eBay for purchasing clothes/gifts. I barely ever by myself new clothes from the shops, I buy the majority of my clothes on eBay. They are all either new or near new for a fraction of the cost (and we are talking good quality well-know brands too)

I've been a SAHM on and off for 4 years and this is what has worked for us. Having said that we've just got the one kid so I guess that's made it easier too.

I'm about to go back to work full-time but I'm hoping these habits won't change too much. I'd rather put my salary aside as much as possible in order to save more money for good holidays (we haven't had any huge holidays in the last few years, mainly just road trips so that's been another saving!)
    Last edited by bitterpure; 24-10-2014 at 10:05.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

debsch  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work & hubby stays at home. The best things I do is buy good quality. I have learned don't buy the cheap rubbish, you will need to replace it sooner & that costs time & sometimes fuel as well.

First of all our mortgage is small, we owner built a kit home.

The only other debt we have is interest free debt, it's been great because we can buy good quality items that last longer & pay them off over a couple of years.

I saved for a long time for a good reliable second hand car & hubby services it. We don't have things like a dishwasher or a dyer as we don't see them as essential. I buy our clothes & things we need on sale at reliable retailers like MYER. Too many times I have bought cheap rubbish on ebay that isn't as described or the wrong size.

Hubby also has a vegetable patch which is great. Not only do you save money purely by eating them, when you don't need to go to the shop for lettuce & capsicum, you don't buy all the other things that you think you might need.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poochella For This Useful Post:

debsch  (10-12-2014),ourbradybunch  (25-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner and I are fulltime students. I have a book, I write down each weeks income in advance, the bills due that week, the amount we are going to spend on groceries/fuel and whatever is left is for savings or surprise expenses. I can then fit in things around our base expenses (things we want, birthday gifts etc), we haven't had one late bill since pay planning.

mother to a beautiful baby boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    DF works the grave shirt (11pm-7am) because it pays a good $200-300 a fn more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great suggestions so far, along similar lines re food. I have significantly cut down on meat in our meals, I got to know the butcher at our farmers market (we live in London) and he gives me off cuts and chicken carcasses for free which I use to make stock (bone broth) in the slow cooker and drink for nutrients, freeze and make soups etc. we try to buy fresh produce in season and preserve as much as we can - figs and strawberries are really cheap now so I have been making jams. I bake snacks and send them with DH for breakfast/morning tea at work and DS for afternoon tea.
    I make our own dishwasher powder (many methods online, I use a borax free one as you can't but borax here) , laundry powder (use vinegar as a rinse) and household cleaners. I recently bought a steam mop on gumtree as we have tiles and it is amazing! We are saving so much on all of the cleaning products that I used to buy. I've also been making toothpaste (baking soda, coconut oil and peppermint oil), face wash, toner etc DIY.
    I cancelled my gym membership and bought some basic weights and skipping rope off gumtree and just do my own thing.
    We only have DS and I have him in daycare two days a week but other than that I don't take him to any paid activities, we go to rhyme time, dance, yoga and toddlers group but travel a little further and they are free (I don't feel so bad if we miss a session!).
    I can imagine this would be differnt with multiple kiddos but we really see me being at home as a luxury for our family so I try to do all of the house stuff before DH comes home (easy as most nights he is home after we have gone to bed!) and leave weekends for family time/relaxing.
    Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are also people who moved to a cheaper area. I would have lived in the cheapest crappiest rental if it meant being a SAHM. Having been in childcare 4 days a week as a kid I knew it's was going to be my absolute priority to do everything possible to be a SAHM til the kids went to school. Not going to lie, things are tight, but they are manageable.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (01-01-2015),KitiK  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hubby doesn't have a high salary at all, but with a few things we manage to do okay with me as a SAHM.

~ Shop at Aldi! You can't always get everything there, but you can fill a trolley for easily $50-100 less than at Woolies/Coles (we actually tested it, spent $100 at each and filled the Aldi trolley, but barely filled the Woolies one). I actually prefer the Aldi "Mamia" brand baby products like formula and nappies.

~ Conserve power - turn off power points when not in use, limit TV/computer time, and turn lights on only as you need them. Good for the environment, and the budget!

~ Give processed snacks a miss - they're not good for you, and once you've got the outlay of ingredients is so much cheaper to make your own snacks!

~ Buy your produce at a green grocer instead of the supermarket. You can buy in bulk, which saves money and encourages you to use them more often so you don't waste them! Same applies with going to a super butcher, buy bulk and freeze.

~ Stick to a budget! Allocate money for everything; weekly/fortnightly amounts aside for a monthly/quarterly bill, groceries, rent/mortgage, petrol, fun/date night, small amount of savings, and a miscellaneous amount for any other things that pop up, and if you don't need it pop it into your savings (: also, reevaluate each pay period so you can include additional purchases like medical, etc. Paying bills on time, too, is cheaper because no late fees!

Basically being smart with the money you've got, even if it's not much. We aren't just scraping by, we can have little luxuries, our house is a decent size for the price and well furnished, our fridge and pantry aren't bare, and our income is about $200/w less than it was pre-bub.

{{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{DP ~ 20 years ~ Sammy}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BatmansMama For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Loving this thread !

We budget, shop in bulk for food and buy the cheap brands and buy second hand things too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you stay organised - which means keeping to a budget and not splurging on unnecessary things! (online shopping :P)