+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not so much about saving as I find it hard to do that most days but maybe a casual or part time job at night or something maybe two nights a week. I used to work at the local RSL each Friday night and a pizza place each Thurdsay and some Wednesday nights, it helped a bit. I'm looking at doing something like that but not til my baby is a bit older ( maybe next year) for a bit of extra cash. I know it's hard if you're a single mum or your partner works nights too though of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We moved. From where I grew up and where my friends and family were to a regional town about 3.5 hours away. We didn't know anyone, but the houses were cheap and rent even cheaper. It meant I could afford to stay home while DH worked. There is no way we could have done that in the inner west in Sydney where I am from.

It was the best move we ever made - we both love it here, the kids love it -and we have a great network of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Can you suggest any money saving tips for Sahm/d's ?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (01-01-2015),GingerKat  (25-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bulk up meals with veg - we also buy lots of frozen veg because its cheaper and we can buy it in bulk.
    Search through gumtree for job lots of clothes going cheap or shop for next year in the end of season sales at big w, Kmart etc - we have a whole box of age 1 clothes that we were buying cheap while I was pregnant!
    Cut down on juices, soft drinks etc we only drink water and get to have homebrand fizzy as a treat in the evenings at weekends.
    We have a very clear budget - we allocate ourselves $50 each a week for 'pocket money' so anything I want to do for me - clothes, hair cut, activities, gifts for hubby or friends - comes out of my own money.
    Wear extra layers instead of using the heating. We have heated wheat bags that we use at night to reduce heating bills as well.

We also moved from uk to oz lol bit of a leap but there is no way we could've lived on one salary back in UK. We were struggling on 2 full time salaries. Sometimes moving is the best thing to do! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Budget budget budget! Account for everything.

My DH had a reasonably high paying job so we had no issues but recently he's had a career change and a subsequent pay drop for the meantime. So I've had to budget and meal plan and shop around...have to be more careful with frivolous spending etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We can't and that's why I'm working.

Well we could, but we'd have to sell our house and move to a cheaper area, and my husband is not willing to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved too! From Melbourne suburbs where a standard house in our area was $1M + to regional Vic.

Not only is the housing cheaper, we find cost of living cheaper. The lifestyle is very relaxed and 'old fashioned' so to speak! We rarely go out for dinner or spend money out. No shopping centres so the temptation isn't there. Limited 'paid' activities so the park and visiting friends are our main activities.

We found melb so expensive to live that we made the call if I was to stay at home, we'd have to find somewhere affordable to live!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some really good tips on here. I spend too much $ on clothes so now I only buy if it has a 30% off or more and buy the kids their clothes in opposite seasons, in summer buy some winter jackets for a fraction of the price and in winter buy a few summer tees and shorts a fraction of the price

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing